FP4: News/Rumours and Updates

I expect the notification led work perfectly from the start!

2 Likes

If there was one thing I learned in my life, then this: Do not expect too much from Fairphone…

3 Likes

I always expect a lot from myself and am always disappointed so what Fairphone do is just a distraction.

1 Like

That’s true! I did not buy the FP3 because FP disabled the notification LED by software in the beginning.
One year later, I heard by accident that they fixed it. That’s why I bought the FP3 then. The notification LED is still not perfect (each of the three colors just can be turned on and off, but not be dimmed to create all the colors), but it’s ok.

But I don’t just hope they will make it work from the beginning this time, I hope that there will be a notification LED at all.

There are just a few new smartphones on the market with notification LEDs. I really hope FP will not ditch it!

4 Likes

@anon9989719 @Alex.A @urs_lesse
my suggestion for FP1 FP2 FP3 FP4
size 32x32
and 500x500 (Work Size) overview :wink:
FairPhone-1_32x32 -

FairPhone-2_32x32 -

FairPhone-3_32x32 -

FairPhone-4_32x32 -

x

1 Like

128Gb Aa budget is too much GB for fairphones story to give only necessery

Who decides what is necessary?
Looking at Android’s flaky handling of already flaky micro SD cards and too many users unaware of possible consequences of incorporating them into Internal Storage … Make the built-in storage large enough (there seems to be a 256 GB version coming, too, by the way), forbid this obsolete SD card as Internal Storage demon from the past at long last, and save users from data loss as well as Fairphone support and community forum from a lot of issues and grief to handle. I’m all for it.

6 Likes

I understand your statement, but i dont like it. I want affordable fairphones with the necessery stuff and for the GB is 64 a serious amount. Maybe 128,but 256 then you become a download everything phone

Given that the form size of the FP4 shall be 6.3 inch, a smaller “FP4 mini” with 64 GB might be attractive (and affordable, too) to some users who want to join the Fairphone movement as well…

3 Likes

I do not need Gb.
I just need normal apps like email, messenger and navigation working.
But unfortunately, they tend to use more memory each year.
I had to uninstall quite normal apps like Podcasts or my daughter’s school app because Fairphone 2 has not enough RAM for that.
If I buy a phone now, I want to be able to still use it over 5 years and longer, so memory (RAM and internal) should either be huge or expandable.

That, or Fairphone keeps up with the latest Android releases to keep the hardware relevant. Fairphone has a focus on hardware, while Google Pixels have proven you can also keep a phone relevant by improving performance, including the camera, without hardware replacements.

2 Likes

Google massively focus on AI which has improved the camera a lot. This is something way beyond Fairphone’s resources…

3 Likes

I agree. Therefore it would be a cool thing to see a collaboration between LineageOS, /e/OS, Librem and many more to create an open-source competitor. This could also include universities to take up bits and pieces of the project as research projects/PhD. This is how BSD also started, and frankly the Internet. It’s a challenge, but I don’t see this as something impossible. Of course you might also attract AI experts willing to spend some free time on the project.

3 Likes

Universities to rebuild something that has already been invented? You know that the pros are hired by those who have all the money to finance science. The first university that reports breaking news about new technology research gets an offer from Sundar Pichai or Tim Cook…

If I was such an expert, I would not do it for free. I would rather found and raise my own company, and use my expertise to make business.

We are getting off-topic, because the FP4 most likely will not sport any AI technique…

University students, yes. Projects like these fit in the curriculum of AI faculties. Get the faculties involved and together with Fairphone a roadmap can be setup and be broken up in pieces for students to work on as research projects/PhD. They already work on things like this, why not apply it to the community? Sure, after that they might work somewhere fancy, or they continue to work on it in their free time. Meanwhile the next batch of students can continue.

Maybe it’s also possible to invoke some interest from camera companies looking for something like this. Who knows, maybe Nokia will join such a project as well. Open-source works, if that hasn’t been proven by now :slight_smile: Communities can do great things.

1 Like

As if Fairphone ever applied developments initiated by the community (Lineage OS, or a FP2 bottom module featuring a USB-C port). However, they have hired the services of a community member to support their Android ROM development, AFAIK…

1 Like

I was hoping would be for the FP4 but has spun off to voice opinions of what people, could or should do, but here are images of the FP4

1 Like

I like it, but already the numbers differentiate.

I would use the same color for the current model at all time (with the + being an iteration of the current). That color could be blue (given the logo of Fairphone) or green (given the trend with the case etc).

Then I would use say red for the current predecessor.

And for the rest I would use the same color, some kind of gray. Why? Because they’re no longer supported.

Thanks, but It is the same font “Courier Prime”

The models are no longer supported by Fairphone, but the Forum (and we know, there is a difference) still has users who ask a question about a problem with these models. Therefore, no, not a uniform grey.

can you show a picture ?

A variant with a different font.
FairPhone-F-1_32x32

FairPhone-F-2_32x32

FairPhone-F-3_32x32

FairPhone-F-4_32x32