FP4 fingerprint sensor makes multiple attempts without lifting finger

I even can’t reproduce this issue if I wanted to. Testing sideways, soft press, wet thumb or a bit dirty. At worst the phone says that the scanner is dirty. No instant 100 tries. I think it has to do with how people enroll their finger. Otherwise it may be an issue the scanner has problems with certain fingerprint types. Then maybe test with a friend if he/she has the same issues. Because then it could also be faulty software.

I think we discussed this before and I still dont agree to this. We see so many issues that dont affect everyone, so just because you cant reproduce does not mean it does not exist. And again: the scanner should not try to scan before my finger is placed on the scanner properly or try to scan any orther part of my hand, because thats the issue. Like if just energy coming closer starts the Scanner. So yes maybe you are better in directly and fast enough putting the Finger on the Scanner, still it does not mean others do it somehow wrong.

Just read

In the meantime I dont use a case any longer.

The scanner should not scan before my finger is properly placed on the Scanner and it should not try to scan over and over again, without lifting the finger and thats happening maybe not for everyone but for some and no rescan of my fingerprints will change this.

The only major one I can think of are the calling issues.

The thing I’m missing in this thread is the pro active troubleshooting. Testing e.g. hypothesis. Like I suggested a few times, how about re-enrolling your fingerprint, how about testing it with other people? Ruling things out so we may come closer to the root cause. As mentioned, I’ve tried to reproduce the issue in several ways. I had the issue a year ago, but after the software update that noted fingerprint scanner improvements, my issues were resolved.

But maybe I missed a few pro-active troubleshooting posts. I don’t actively monitor this thread that much.

Who defines what is major or minor, existing or not. Thats a quite subjective definition.

Ghost Touches, Kamera…

Your words come to my mind not sure why

feedback and should not be sugarcoated or downplayed.

To me it feels you downplay here. Is this subjectiv? Yes. Is this what you want to do? Dont know.

As defined by FP support themselves, if it prevents you from using your phone often it’s quite major. Calling is a major part of a phone, if that doesn’t work, I would call that a major issue. More details here with the impact categorized for each issue: ✏ Known reproducible and reported issues of the Fairphone 4

Weren’t the ghost touches something fixable? By re-attaching the screen properly? Haven’t followed that threat either much.

The camera is a problem everyone can reproduce. People might be okay with the low quality, but the issues described can be reproduced.

Sugarcoating would be like saying “you can still unlock the phone by pin, the fingerprint sensor is a power button, it’s just a convenience”.

I’m trying to steer the discussion more towards what works and what doesn’t. Most replies here stop with that it doesn’t work and should be fixed. But since you don’t reply with links to people that did go further than that, I suppose this threat hasn’t done much to rule out the causes.

So to anyone who would like to find the root cause and get this fixed by giving FP support some more concrete information. 1) Have you tried to re-enroll your fingers a few times, by following the instructions carefully, i.e. scan different parts of your finger. 2) Have you also asked friends to also enroll and see how it works for them?

And lastly, maybe this could be in play?

“You’re holding it wrong” isn’t an answer I’m willing to accept.

I’ve been running different ROMs, reset the system so many times I lost count, re-enrolled my fingerprints hundreds of times, the issue always stays the same.

Because I don’t want to repeat myself …

… the issue is not that it doesn’t work, the problem is that it sometimes even times out with one of the not-enrolled fingers touching it when interacting with the lock screen, or some part of the palm that just might happen to be near it, etc. …

3 Likes

I actually consider it a security feature, it allows me to disable the finger sensor by ‘accident’. Though sometimes if it would by accident happen in public, I’d have to enter my PIN when I would not want to.

Security is hard.

Did you also try on /e/OS?
In my case (FP4 with /e/OS) it always tries twice in a row (if the part of the skin I use is not detected). So I have 5 attempts (every attempt scanned twice) until I’ve to use the pin (or wait). So (like @UPPERCASE ) I can’t reproduce “multiple attempts without lifting finger” if “mutliple” means >2.

I’ve never used /e/OS, no, not my kind of ROM.

Multiple attempts means, at least in my case, the scanner is getting triggered (vibration and all) 5+ times in rapid succession. If it happens, it’s so fast I often can’t remove the offending part of my hand quickly enough to not end up with “too many attempts”.
To be clear, the fingerprints I have saved are not the problem, those fingers usually get detected before that can happen.

I mean if I could save every part of my hand, that would probably fix it, but there are only 5 slots available, so yeah :man_shrugging:

1 Like

So behavior seems to be different on each HW or there’s at least one custom ROM with a fix… :thinking:

Would not be my conclusion just from 1 example, or did it change for you from FPOS to e/OS?

I agree it’s no proof, but an indication…

I even had the same problem (lots of failed attempts in a row) at the beginning with /e/OS and with one update (don’t remember which one) the behavior changed for me to what I’ve described above.

Has anyone noticed a change in the sensor behavior on Android 12? I think the problem is now even a little bit worse… I now often get the “Clean the sensor” message…

No no change noted so far and I’ m not sure what you describe is the same issue, because the message I get is “too many atrempts” not " clean the sensor" this I only see when my finger is a bit wet or when I used hand cream, which I guess is normal…

I get a mixture of these two…

Same same. Maybe our hands are just really sweaty?

When it goes crazy and scans all available attempts within a second without lifting the finger (as no chance to react that fast) and shows sometimes this and sometimes that?

Yes. Or, sometimes it shows the “Clean sensor” message on the first attempt without even vibrating the phone (which I take as a feedback that a scan was attempted). So maybe it can “see” somehow that the sensor is so dirty it makes no sense to even try?

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:. Well it didn’t that for me. Fingerprint often doesn’t recognize my finger, or it takes multiple times while I just put it once and then it says “you tries too many times”. So I’m not really happy with how it functions … I
Am I the only one?