FP4 Battery life

Also, from where I am, the phone says my wifi signal is “excellent”, so I doubt the drain has to do with interference. I’m using 5Ghz wifi, but so was the old phone (although the old phone could not go past 70Mbps anyway :slight_smile: ).

Yeah that sound unlikely to be the reason.

Now that’s weird but not surprising, who knows what dodgy things Google apps are doing on their own while we sleep :smiley:
A shame you don’t want to root, Servicely does a very good job at preventing those nasty services to work without permission

You can quite easily remove Google Photos and more via ADB without rooting and then install for example the Simple app : Gallery via F-Droid.

For the simple ADB I used on a Raspberry pie see.

see also

Not specific to the FP4 but guides you can emulate

2 Likes

Do you have energy saving mode enabled at night? Last night my phone went from 90 % to 88 % in airplane mode with energy saving turned on.

Something i usually do in all the phones i get is:

• first disable WiFi/Bluetooth scanning (both, search for scanning in the settings)
  • second disable printing service (you will need it when you want to print from the phone directly without using a PC or wifi direct instead)

The scanning settings really helps towards having a better battery autonomy. The second one a bit more.

Another setting i usually disable is to always try to connect to open WiFi points.

There is another feature i remember that helps to switch from wifi to data without interruptions (or the other way around) which kind of says something like “keep mobile data always on”.

To debloat we have specific FP4 Guides, maybe just deactivating the Apps you dont need would already help

I hate to have to manually turn airplane mode at night. I’ve been searching for an airplane mode scheduler app but all I found is tasker automation which I’m not fond of as its another source of battery drain…

Why do you think I need debloat guidelines? I only wanted to give a comparison to the -15% of the OP and wondered if the energy saving mode might be the reason.

No, I don’t (because on my old phone I never needed to). But it’s a good pragmatic suggestion. I’ll give it a try, thanks!

Just to note : On my FP3+ I never use energy saving mode just aeroplane mode when I’m resting, ~ so the phone may as well too. I need no notifications until I’m ready. :slight_smile:
Oh! the alarm still works :slight_smile:

It’s been a month since I started this thread and I wanted to see if my phone actually “learnt” to be more energy efficient.

This time my stats are established on the basis of a 90% → 20% cycle. I do not charge my phone at all in the cycle for the sake of comparable data.

So we get:
1 day and 12 hours since charge, with 4h18 min SOT

A month ago:
1 day and 10 hours since charge, with 4h02 min SOT

These value are comparable although:

• First time I started from 100%, this time from 90%
  • I did use my phone a little bit more intensively this time as I did some bluetooth music playback.

So I guess battery life does get better with time.

One of the consistant thing I note is those 12% idle mobile data consumption, don’t know if this is normal or if somehow there’s something to dig…

Edit as of February 4h:

Here are the results with Lineage OS, and they are much better.

Still the same comparison:
90% → 20% no charging in between.

Very high usage as I’ve been messing with LOS, setting back everything, flashing/playing with magisk modules.
And yet 5h10 of SOT. This is by far the best result I’ve got since I received the device.

Note that I’m running Google services, so this will probably be even better without them.
One thing I noticed is the total absence of drain overnight. I put my phone in plane mode when I go to sleep, with FPOS I usually woke up with 2% lost, with LOS it seems to be less than 1% drain.

4 Likes

Hey @maurizio ,
i have my fairphone 4 since last week and can see exactly what you describe:
When i put my fp4 in airplane mode over night (~8h) it consumes about 15-20% battery. This is kind of really annoying, my previous phone needed only 1-2%.

Your last post in this forum was three months ago, did this changed for you since then? Or what do you experience today with your fairphone 4?

Regards

I imagine you may have some demanding apps running in the background.

Can you start in safe mode before you rest for the night. This may help indicate if it is a default or custom app.
?

1 Like

As Amoun stated, you should start by identifying the apps draining the battery, did you notice especially high usage of a single app in the battery section of the settings ?

Since I’ve been moving back from LOS to FPOS, notably FP3S.A.0103 build, I have too noticed an inceased battery use of Google Play Service while idle. Though it doesn’t exceed 8% drain overnight in my case, I still find it too much. I’m still in the process of finding which service in particular is responsible for it.

Unfortunately i wasn’t able to identify which app drains the battery over night… No obvious behavior for now, i thought maybe this levels off automatically after a few nights.
I will try the safe mode and report back within a few days :+1:
Maybe until then @maurizio reads this and can report if this behaviour changed for him or if he is still struggling with this effect

Has anyone done a comparison of the battery life on all the ROMs available at this point?

Same problem here, I’m not able to identify which is the app that is draining the battery.
I’m thinking of a wipe data and see if that solves the problem

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You need NOT to do a factory reset, and wipe data, before you try a safe mode start.

I am satisfied with the battery life, 2 times a week I charge the fairphone. mostly I charge it only to 85-90% and otherwise it charges briefly when I connect it to the PC to save photos.

2 Likes

This is what happens to me. When it arrives to 50% it seems to estabilize but before…