FP4 Battery life

So I thought it could be interesting to start a thread dedicated to sharing our experience with battery life on fairphone 4.

As you can see, hereunder, I achieved 4h02 SOT over 1 day and 10h, from 100% to 20% (I prefer to charge when reaching 20% therefore I didn’t push the test further).

I don’t really know if this is bad or…average ?
I mainly used my device for WhatsApp, Reddit browsing, of course fairphone forum reading and some tweaking.

I have naptime with default setting installed as well as servicely and disabled developper option “keep mobile data on when connected to wifi”.
The latest option was only enabled at 50% when I realized “Standby mobile data” usage was a bit high. I suspect it’s related to low coverage upstairs at home which probably makes the devices actively search for reliable signal more than required. But this remains to prove.

Edit:
If someone has an idea how to explain quickstep launcher being counted as 40 min use, it doesn’t really make sense as I don’t spend time on my launcher…

2 Likes

1.5 days, what a dream for FP2 user😉To compare it might be interesting to know how much degoogled the device is?

3 Likes

Not really degoogled, running:

• Google Service
  • Play Store
  • Google Pay
  • Google Home
  • Gmail
  • Drive
  • Google Calendar
  • Maps
  • Google Photos

So yeah… pretty googled xD
(Though most services are blacklisted from running in background via Servicely)

3 Likes

As much de-googled as possible

5 Likes

That’s impressive, how many SOT ?

2:54 houres

And personalDNSfilter running

1 Like

Another day without charging… 32% left

Last charge: 56 hours ago

SOT: 5h 11m

5 Likes

Wow ! That’s actually awesome.
Mind sharing what Google service you disabled/removed, and if your using third party tools to limit/block background services ?

Disabled all google apps except Playservices ans Dialer (because of conference calling, not possible with simple dialer)
only personalDNSfilter. no other block services,

1 Like

Interesting, I tried to remove as much as possible but still could not find an acceptable replacement for maps nor a cloud client that would handle drive properly.

how do you define “acceptable replacement for Maps”? I use Magic Earth (default maps app coming with e/OS), because it has traffic information. My apologies if this is a stupid question, but is drive not the google cloud client (or at least one part of it)? So not sure what you mean be cloud handling drive? So there are other cloud clients like Mega Cloud that can be used instead of Google Drive or Dropbox. Also better from a data protection perspective should be Tresorit and Luckycloud (not tested myself).

I feel as though the battery on this phone is very adequate.

I don’t think this screenshot will be very useful due to my charging habits (stay above 10%, stay below 90%), but even with those strange habits and minimal measures to conserve battery, at most I need two small quick charges a day.

1 Like

It’s not bad. But my Pixel 3 has a ~2900mAh battery with a battery health of 75% after 3 years. The Pixel doesn’t last that long compared to the FP4 which has 1/4th extra battery capacity. But when it had 100% capacity it came close. So in other words it could still improve software-wise. Or maybe it’s because it has an LCD screen.

This is mine …

SOT: ~2h

Pretty much comparable to @AlphaElwedritsch’s battery statistics but I was quite conservative with degoogling to avoid anything breaking:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gm
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.chrome
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.calendar
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.docs
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.keep
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.tachyon
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.youtube
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.youtube.music
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.videos
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.setupwizard
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.setupwizard.overlay
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox

Besides that, I deactivated the play store and the default messaging app.

Although I don’t use a Google account, I still run on the default launcher. I may change that in the future but haven’t seen the need yet. What do you think? Any room for improvement?

1 Like

That looks pretty good as well. Though I understand just as FairphoneHulk, you’re not a heavy user, 2h SOT over 2 days is very… low usage :smiley:

However, it does show very low consumption while idle.
My device is draining 4% overnight. I did not disable bluetooth, I think I’ll give it a try and see if it ends up improving idle battery consumption.

That’s definitely right :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I usually switch to airplane mode over night. And yeah, the battery drains awfully fast with more SOT. LED displays are just not known for being top energy savers.

1 Like

I was able to replace most of Maps’ functionality with OsmAnd~ and NUNAV Navigation. While I use OsmAnd~ exclusively for hiking and biking, NUNAV is really good at car navigation.

3 Likes

Once again a little optimized.Based on the tutorial from @rar0 and @Stanzi

Gave a boost again.

Residual charge: 37%
SoT: 7hours, 47 minutes

Can not complain :smiley:

1 Like

Hi all,
I’ve just bought a new Fairphone 4 and I have some questions regarding battery usage. I’m using stock OS (Android 11), and relatively few apps (Firefox, LinkedIn, Whatsapp, few banking apps).

Battery drain seems to be very inconsistent: I typically leave my phone on overnight, but with airplane mode on, and with wifi/mobile data disabled. The first night, my phone battery only drained 1%, which is compatible with my experience with my previous phone (a Samsung a5 - 2017).
However, starting from the second night, the phone is draining ~15% battery with same setup.

I have tried to use AccuBattery, but without much success. That said, the power consumption of the phone seems to be relatively high even when idling. Right now AccuBattery reports around 250mA draw, and 20%/h consumption with screen on, 4.5% with screen off. These numbers seem very very high.

When browsing internet I can see the battery percentage dropping very quickly (e.g. 1% every 3-4 minute or so). On my old phone (which was 4 yrs old) I could get with same apps (and Android 8, which was the reason of the upgrade) 2-3 days out of the (small) battery. With the FP4 I’m nowhere near that.

The only “suspicious” thing I’ve done was to install (and then uninstall) an application to enable “tap to wake” (as I was a bit worried about power button wear just to see notifications). Since the app was not working as I expected I have uninstalled it. So I’m wondering if it’s possible for the app to have altered some of the phone factory settings, and now, despite the app is uninstalled, I’m stuck with bad settings.

Any ideas? What is your normal power draw? I’m surprised I’m having issues with this as many reviews mentioned that battery life was “better than average”. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the community. I moved your post to this existing one, giving some impressions. Using the FP3 not FP4 I can confirm that a tap/wink to wake app def drains more battery, I think that the Phone is never really in “deep sleep” due to that. Therefore I deactivated this again on the FP3 .

1 Like