FP3s --- smaller version coming?

Yes the size of the FP1 was perfect! I still use it on the side, - the new FP3 is much too big for my taste of a phone (don’t need a mini-tablet), and it’s quite of lot of hazzle to handle. Unfortunately my FP1 is gettting old - 6 yrs - and because of lack of updates and many apps not working and other stuff I got the enormous successor FP3 too. Tough decision, but I wanted to stay with FP. (sidenote: hoping there will be a google-free option for the FP3 soon, loved that with the FP1!).

3 Likes

Did you upgrade your Fairphone 1 to Android 4.4.4? This could help to get some apps to work again and the last update was from Oktober 2019.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s cool, didn’t know it was possible! will start roaming the forum to find the details. (my FP1 has problems reading the storage card, i.e. it can’t any more, but the internal storage works fine).

You can find details here.

2 Likes

I’m on my third month with my FP3 and I agree for a 5.7 inches screen, the device could be smaller but that will compromise the modular design.

According me it’s not the form factor of the phone which should be smaller but the screen surface should be bigger: What they could propose is an option screen with smaller or less top and below bezels.

I think we can have a screen in total of 6.2 inches which will provide us with an immersive experience.

2 Likes

Hi, after using the FP3 for a few months I still have to say that it is too big for my liking, too big for my hands and to big for my trouser pockets. The weather is sunny now, so I don’t wear a jacket / coat any more, and would like to carry the FP3 like the FP1 in my trouser back pocket, but it is too big / high for that, so that does not feel safe. re. my hands: they are normal sized, and the big phone does not feel comfortable or relaxed when I hold it in my hand for a while, while I use it.

All is relative, nothing is too big or too small but the thought makes it so if you don’t mind me rephrasing Shakespeare. Also since “FP3s” is not even in the pipeline I would just get used to it.

As an experiment try to carry something very heavy and bulky in your pants pocket next to your phone for a month pretending it is an inseparable part of the phone, then take it out and feel how relieved you are, the phone is like a feather in the palm of your hand. I’m not joking, this is how the actual brain works.

1 Like

It’s really a great idea and I know it would work.
I am not so sure, you will find enough room in any pants-pocket to place something bulky and heavy besides your FP3. So maybe something heavy, like a steel plate could do the trick as well?

Maybe some steel connecting plate like this (2 or 3 of those if you like), or a larger one?

https://www.diy.com/departments/abru-powder-coated-steel-timber-connector/251053_BQ.prd

My mother had this phone for years and she had small hands, which got passed on to me, the hands, not the phone.

Could we please just close this thread and end this totally fruitless discussion here? If you find the FP3 too big, do not buy one. If you want a smaller Fairphone, tell Fairphone. That’s about it. Thank you.