FP3 won’t charge after water damage

My FP3 got wet while in my waterproof jacket pocket in the rain. I’ve followed the wiki guidance to disassemble, dry out, clean and leave for 48 hours.
Now reassembled and on charge it shows that it’s charging and has 1% charge but the charge isn’t increasing and the phone vibrates every couple of minutes with “Powered by Android” displayed.
Please could you let me know if this indicates which part might need replacing?
Thank you - I loved my FP3

1 Like

Your best chance would be the bottom module, but it could be other, more essential parts (e.g. on the core module which basically is the main body of the phone). Ideally, you could exchange modules with another FP3 to test them, but I guess you haven’t got that option anywhere near?

3 Likes

Thank you urs-lesse. Oh dear! The symptoms of my phone sound inconclusive.
I have emailed the Fairphone Angel in the North of England so maybe there’s hope for help from them.
Thanks again for replying.

2 Likes

Hi @Andream Welcome to the forum

You may want to try drying some more leaving for 48 hours isn’t necessarily enough. If you have a fan or hairdryer that can blow cool air over the modules try again. By the way I’m in the Cornwall, maybe not near you but I could call if it gets a bit stressy.

Which wiki did you read ?

If you want to use DM/PM you will have to up your status from Novice to Basic, see this post, though you only have to achieve one of the three options shown.

The official info is

@anon9989719 how does it work the other way around? If you contact @Andream DM/PM. @Andream could agree in a post here. Just a thought.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what you’re saying but I have already send a private message to provide the opportunity to have a private exchange etc.

1 Like

Have you tried a different battery yet? I know someone who managed to, twice in a row, only destroy his battery with water damage. So it may be possible only the battery itself is dead.

3 Likes

Hi Amoun,
Thanks for your reply.
That gives me hope. I’ll disassemble and leave the phone to dry for longer. I’m on holiday but have found a hairdryer so will try and dry it further.
The wiki that I read was #waterwiki
Thank you for the offer, I will PM if (and probably when) I’m stumped what to do.
Many thanks
Andrea

Hi A couple of things, one a story
A daughter on mine dropped the phone down the toilet, she dismantled and dried it, but when I spoke to her I said to dry it again for a couple of days, that was six months ago and all is fine except of course the warranty is void after the water damage. Saying that there are small white dots that turn red on the modules if they have been effected by water. The caveat is that the phone wasn’t in the loo for more than a second or two, so it didn’t have chance to soak in. In a pocket it can get damp and penetrate deeper due to the time.

The other thing is the battery. can you get someone to check the voltage, it really has to be over 3.65V to start the phone. If you can find a friend or a shop that will charge it to 4.3V that would be helpful as you will know it’s not the battery.

let me know how you get on, I’m on the forum from about 9 to 9 on and off and I will chat about how to proceed once you are sure the battery is OK.

All the best

1 Like

Dear Fairphone Community,
Thank you so much for your help.
I went ahead and ordered a new battery and when I realised the postage cost of nearly £10 decided to order the bottom module too. Turns out both were needed and to my relief I now have a fully functioning phone for everything except mobile phone calls.
So I can make WhatsApp calls successfully and also hear podcasts etc but when making phone calls the display shows that I’m making the call but I can neither hear the caller nor can I be heard. Any further thoughts would be great.
Thank you
Andrea

2 Likes

Which operating system are you using? There was such an issue reported with e/OS, so probably it’s not related to the water…
In case you use e/OS check if you can update

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.