FP3 without Google Apps (or uninstall possibility)

Hello, is someone aware when will be provided an official ROM image for FP3 without Google Apps and others collecting data apps?

Grazie

There is already an official ROM : /e/ (https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/install).
In a few days there will be probably an official build of LineageOS as well ([ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 16.0 for FP3)

1 Like

Hi,
which is the difference? I didn’t realli understand on the FP offical rom site.
I’m new in FP3 but screwer some roms from the samsung world.

tks

The /e/ foundation and Fairphone are partners. So you can expect that the FP3 will be fully operational with a /e/ ROM. /e/ is based on LineageOS but all code aiming to communicate with Google servers has been removed (excepted for some MicroG functionalities). Plus, /e/ people have set up their own app store and the UI is quite different from a standard Android UI. /e/ is a foundation advocating for degoogling smartphones, open software and privacy.

The LineageOS ROM is a community project, based on some parts of /e/ (especially for the hardware support). It’s a bare-bones Android ROM and you can chose whatever you want to install in it (MicroG, Google services or none of them). It is also privacy-oriented.

Both ROM have their pros and cons. Technically, they are quite the same. I support /e/ as they propose an alternative degoogled ecosystem but I also like the freedom of choice let you by LineageOS. You should try both.

But remember, not using Google services at all will lead to make some choices. Some apps (even not apparently related to Google) won’t work anymore. For example, I was surprised that the Red Cross app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tkm.crf) can’t work without Google services… And the problem is not the ROM, but developers who are way too dependent on Google and that’s a problem.

4 Likes

Cordiali saluti
M. Teruzzi

Ohooo… Thanks
I have to take time to exolore this.

Thanks fir your long answer.
I will revert to you give you some feedback.

Grazie and have a good day
Maurizio

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.