FP3 will not charge!

My argument has absolutely nothing to do with being a fanboy.
You don’t seem to be a fan of sustainability either, if you consider a replacable battery an argument for wasting batteries more easily.
That is not, what the Fairphone concept is all about.
Their approach is about reducing waste and treating ressources responsible.
That’s why they are “dictating” the charging, as you call it. (I have no idea, if this really can not be turned of, if one so desires.)
And 150 minutes for a full charge - in my humble opinion - is still good enough, when you get 90% within less than 90 minutes (starting from 0).

3 Likes

I used my Galaxy S5 more than 5 1/2 years before I switched over to the Fairphone 3. -> Buying new batteries and using your smartphone longer is reducing your “ecological footprint”.
At the official presentation of the Fairphone 3, one journalist asked, how many people are still using their Fairphone 2. -> Well, it were less than 20% of the sold 2nd generation Fairphones.
This is the number of Fairphone 2 owners, that still downloaded the latest Android security updates from the Fairphone servers.
I wouldn’t call 80% inactive Fairphone 2 devices very impressive.

It’s much better to use a smartphone for 6 years and to replace the “quick charged”-battery two times, instead of buying 1 or 2 more new phones.

By the way: Even if the “old” Fairphone battery is down to 50% of the original capacity, I still can use it as a spare battery for longer travels.
It’s not “garbage”. That’s the big difference if you use a “modern” smartphone by manufacturers like Apple, Huawei or Samsung.
The replaced battery of those phones can’t be actively used anymore and needs to be recycled.

It’s a big task for the industry to develope new battery technologies, with much more charging cycles without the loss of capacity and also faster charging. #ElectroMobility

I wouldn’t call 80% no longer updating the phone inactive users or phones.
E.g. I am a quite happy user and still on Android 6, which is by now quite outdated for the FP2.
And the chance is, that there are lots of users like me out there, as the updates stopped at one point working automatically, unless you manually updated the updater app. That’s not exactly great of course and could be critizised. On the other hand, they advertised, that Android 7 is available. I still did not upgrade, because Android 7 in the beginning had quite a few bugs, that kept me away.
To cut it short. This percentage is really not giving.

And I was not referring to the advantages of a changeable battery, but to your statement,

That - to me - sounds like: Battery replaceable and cheap, so fast charging with wasting the battery is no problem.
And it still is wasting ressources unneccessarily, which is against the Fairphone basics.

Well, when it comes to cars etc., I agree. When it comes to phones, I am not so sure, that faster charging than 2 hours is really needed. I can’t remember the last time, when I was so long away from a plug, that the phone died, because I could not charge it for 2 hours. Of course I forgot charging ever once in a while, but then - on FP2 even without fast charging - it took just an hour for reaching a reasonable charging status.

But that’s of course all my personal attitude.

1 Like

Hi, I just wanted to charge my new FP3 and noticed a problem. When I plug it in the yellow light appears (charging, I suppose) and then the light goes off and a “P” appears in the top line of the screen (from left: mobile net, time, P). I don’t have a manual explaining FP3, don’t know if there is one out online perhaps? Anyway, I don’t know what the P means and the phone is not being charged. Tried it with two different cables, same result (first yellow light, then nothing). Can anybody help please? Thank you!

I have solved the problem, so just in case anyone is interested:
apparently, if you enable USB-Debugging mode, the phone does not charge. I deactivated it, charging went ahead.

1 Like

The phone is charging fine with USB debugging enabled for me.

OK. mine didn’t. The disabling of USB debugging was the only alteration between not charging and charging.

Some people ran custom OS such as LineageOS.

I bought the FP3 2 weeks ago together with the USB cable from FP and I noticed a couple of days ago that my phone didn’t charge over night like it used to but I didn’t pay more attention to it cause the next time I charged it everything was normal. Last night I plugged it in and noticed that the little battery sign didn’t show it was charging but the yellow light was on so I figured it’s gonna charge - noticed this morning that it didn’t charge at all. My debugging setting was deactivated the whole time, I didn’t mess with it at all since I got it.

This is extremely annoying cause I bought both the phone + charger from FP directly and it didn’t even last two weeks (there were already problems with the speaker too). What now?

1 Like

If the “P” looked like in this screenshot, it should stand for Android Pie (see Wikipedia link for logo). It only appeared briefly on the FP3 I’m holding here currently, right after the first reboot following the December update.

1 Like

Update: I tried another charger (not the original one from FP) and it worked now, so the phone doesn’t appear to be the problem at least. I’m wondering still why the FP3 reacts to the FP3-charging cable by showing the yellow light but not charging and why it broke down after only 2 weeks since I bought it together with my FP3…

yes, that is what the P looked like, thank you!
(Sag Hey Google??)

I ordered and received a FP charger and cable. It is saying that it is charging “slowly” and absolutely nothing happens. When I changed the charger to my old Iphone charger, but kept the cable, it worked…
What is this???

This is an issue. Fairphone support should do something about that for you … https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us.

2 Likes

Thank you. I filled in a form on that page explaining this. Still no answer though…
/Lena

I received my FP3+ 3 days ago, and I also experience charging problems. The first day it charged perfectly, but today the yellow charging light was on but after 2 hours of “charging” nothing happend. (later I noticed that the charging battery symbol was not showing).

I use the official FP usb-C cable and a Motorola adapter. I also tried an iPhone adapter, same issue.

Based on the reply of somebody on this topic, I tried to not completely insert the cable and indeed now it is charging, though very slow.

Hi Rob,

You would need a charger that supports Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 3.0 to properly quick charge your Fairphone. The iPhone adapter would not, not sure about the Motorola one.

Your phone’s screen will show whether it is charging fast or slow.

Best wishes,
Thomas

Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply.

I’m quite sure the Motorola has quick charge capabilities. It looks exactly like this one: https://www.mobilesupplies.nl/motorola-snellader-usb-qc-3-0-fast-charging-spn5976a-zwart.html?channable=00a21c69640031333135394c&gclid=CjwKCAiAi_D_BRApEiwASslbJ8Db7sr8-nSaQbPLoa_jCTh6vkblMUx6zgZAtHbm3gUTc6llNeI4ihoC3mAQAvD_BwE

When I posted my comment, the phone was slow charging, while now - after disconnecting and connecting again 15 mins later by pushing the connector completely in - it is charging at normal speed (but not fast charge). However, 2 days ago, it was fast charging with this very same Motorola adapter… Any idea?

Hi.

I had trouble with charging with my fairphone 3, tried everything and send it to the support where they change it. And have problems again…

The thing is the “Made to be open” design dosen’t make it really waterproof. Eveytime I make an outdoor activity including humidity (like swearing, rain, snow, …) then I have this charging problem. So I open it, remove the batery, put it in a warm place (on a radiator) for a while (one hour or so) and then it’s good again.

Hope it will help somebody.

1 Like

It’s not ideal to have to think about something like that, but if it was me I would consider using a sealable water-proof bag in this case rather than having to deal with a perfectly replicable charging problem.

1 Like