FP3: Updates strategy?

Hello,
as far as i know, the updates for FP3 are expected at least for 5 years, starting on August/September 2019.
Please, which is the Updates stragegy?
Should we expect
a) inmediate security updates?
b) monthly minor Releases?
c) quarterly Major updates?
d) 2 times a year functional Releases?
e) do they depend on the types of update: Hardware, Firmware, software?
f) is there a Web-Page where we can see the Releases and their release notes from the start up to this date (Releases history)

Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry, I guess, there is no such history-page.
At least I never heard of it.
And if you really want to know, what to expect from FP in this regard, you have to contact Fairphone directly. The best you might get here, would be an educated guess (unless someone is having a deeper insight of course).

3 Likes

Ok, thank you.

By the way, do you know if Fairphone employees also in this Forum ā€œofficiallyā€ participate?
I know from other Forums of Smartphones companies, that they do that, in order to reduce the ā€œofficialā€ Support and give the customer an rapid ā€œunofficialā€ answer in the cases like general questions or somethings like this, not so ā€œimportantā€ or critical.

1 Like

Well, there are FP employees in this forum.
But they drop by just occasionally (at least visibly) and they do not make this forum an alternative ā€œsupport-lineā€.
Whenever there is a request, we here at the forum, recommend to contact support the official way.
For general questions or recurring problems, there usually is some (tech-savvy) user in this forum able to give helpful advice. At least as long, as the problem can be solved by the user and does not require repair. And there are the #fairphoneangels, that might be able to help hands on and in person.

6 Likes

Yes, the contribution of most of the users here in the forum is very important und I thank them in advance!

1 Like

a) security updates are delivered monthly by google.
thus, there were - afaik - also monthly updates by fairphone.
b) there also were minor bugfixes for FP3 in those updates .
c) for that, you have to ask fairphone support directly :wink:
d) I didnā€™t found a page with release notes. But here you can see the current OS-version.
But on this forum you can find topics regarding those OS-updates
Like the january update: FP3 A.0110, Android9 OS update, patchlevel 5th, January 2020

4 Likes

There have been monthly updates already, containing the Google Security Patches plus some other fixes. So it looks like monthly (just like with other vendors).

2 Likes

Thank you very much to all of you!

1 Like

Tbh I really wonder how they determine the order of the devices that receive the monthly updates. I mean the first posts about the January update on this forum I found are from ~10 days ago. My FP3 still tells me everyhting is fine with my patch level December 2019. And it has been the same with all recent months as well. Great, with all the critical vulnerabilities in Android. :-1:t2:

2 Likes

"how they determine the order of the devices that receive the monthly updates. "
Good question, my FP3, which i received this week, has fortunatly the most recent update already installed 0110 on 5.1.2020, or is there a new one released on 28.1.2020?

Even this seems odd. :smiley:

I remember commenting to a close friend of mine on my old LG phoneā€™s rough yearly upgrades and being suprised on their unusually regular updatesā€¦

Going to the FP has been eye-opening :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Short additional question to the experts: Is it actually possible to manually download and install these monthly security updates?

1 Like

The Updater on the Fairphone 2 didnā€™t like firewall Apps much, if I remember correctly. Perhaps itā€™s similar on the Fairphone 3.
It seems you are running NetGuard. Have you tried without the firewall being active?

There is no official way to download and install updates manually as of now.

If you want to do it inofficially, it could be possible, but this doesnā€™t seem to be exact science yet either. If you are feeling adventurous, you may want to unlock the bootloader of your phone (this includes a factory reset) and have a look into these topics ā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks for you hints, Elk. Yes, I am aware that NetGuard might be a problem, especially since I am blocking most of the G00gle stuff. I tried deactivating it before doing the update check. Unfortunately the result was the same.
Regarding TWRP&Co: I definitely want to go into that direction to get finally rid of G00gle, but at the moment I am waiting until (hopefully) an officially supported G00gle-free FP-OS comes out.

Hello,
Google publish the Android Security Bulletin February 2020.
https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2020-02-01
I just bougth a Fairphone 3 and i would know how you manage security update ?
Regards,
Syl

2 Likes

Hi @sylv1 and welcome to the Fairphone community forum. Iā€™ve moved your question here to this existing topic.

2 Likes

Fairphone will publish an update some time end of February, and you wil receive this as an OTA update (download) automatically. And this will happen every month for the foreseeable future because of Googleā€™s monthly patch release cycle.

1 Like

Thank you ! I didnā€™t see itā€¦

1 Like

Good to know !! Is there an announce page to follow for security update ?

1 Like

just take a look here:

4 Likes