FP3 stuck at build 6.A.018.0 (June 5th 2023)

I recently noticed that my FP3 (with upgraded cameras) hasn’t been updated since the June security patch release. Forcing to search for updates, my phone tells me it is up to date, although the Android security version is from June last year. I’m on build 6.A.018.0, while the most recent version should be 6.A.023.1 (from last December). Anyone with the same issue?

Not affected myself, but just asking: What network provider are you on? Provider-specific incompatibilities are a frequent reason why some updates are held back for some users.

1 Like

Belgian provider Mobile Vikings (MVNO of Proximus). I’ve seen indeed issues with specific providers, but Fairphone states that it could be a few weeks delay, not more than 6 months :slight_smile:

You might want to report it to Fairphone via https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new – unless you have found somewhere in this forum that Fairphone already confirmed that current issue with your provider.

Make sure to include that info (provider). Most likely Fairphone gets notice of issues with giants like Deutsche Telekom quicker than with providers in smaller countries, so it’s key that info gets fed into their feedback channel.

1 Like

Thanks! I have done that 2 days ago, I hope to get a reply back soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I recently discovered, my wife’s FP3 seems to have the same issue. The carrier is also Proximus. Removing the SIM and searching manually did not show anything, either. So it would certainly be interesting to see what FP support has to say about that.

Hello
I have the same problem. I am in France with Bouygues Telecom. I also tried to search for the update by removing the sim card but it didn’t work…
I sent an email to support but I’ve been waiting for a reply since December 30th…
If you have a solution, I’d like to hear from you!
Thanks

Hi Emilie,

Same problem for me, also from France and same provider Bouygues Telecom, stuck with 6.A.018.0

My wife has a different provider and her FP3 is up to date.

I’ll make a request to Fairphone support and Bouygues Telecom.

Bouygues’s quick answer is that updates are randomly distributed by the constructor and that this is not their responsibility.

If you are adventurous, you can try to search for the update using the SIM of your wifes phone in your FP3. If the update is on hold on purpose you might run in problems afterwards :wink: .

1 Like

Hello,
I tried with another operator’s sim card and it worked! The phone did the various updates successively and is now up to date!
Thanks for the idea :blush:

2 Likes

I also tried the same approach and it worked. Thanks for the advice @Incanus .

3 Likes

I finally got the updates installed on the FP3 in my household. But it was certainly no smooth experience: No update was offered with the Proximus SIM in place. Just to test I switched with my Proximus SIM which did not change anything - as expected. Still no update offered without any SIM, either. The only other SIM I had available was one from eSIM.me with some random expired travel SIM loaded onto it. As soon as that card was in and before any mobile network connection existed, I could install the updates!

Just to be sure I tried with the Proximus SIM again after the August update, no change.
In the end all updates were only installed with the eSIM card in place. I’m wondering how this will go for future updates. I guess we’ll find out soon enough with the next release…

2 Likes

An update for the sake of consistency, here is the official response I had from the Fairphone support.

"Different network carriers have different technical requirements: before we release a software update we extensively test the software. We found that, in some specific circumstances, our current update might cause some issues with specific carriers, therefore we did not release it. We are working on solving these issues as fast as we can.
Once the software update is available, you will receive a notification asking you to update.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and we want to thank you for your understanding. The path to a fairer electronics industry has its fair share of obstacles, and we appreciate your continued support while we work on this issue."

2 Likes

This morning, I got three consecutive updates to the most recent version! No idea what caused the push, since I contacted both my mobile provider as Fairphone :slight_smile:

3 Likes