FP3 not recognized via USB on Windows 10

I just bought the phone second hand, and the first thing I did was an Android update. Not sure what the previous version was. However, the first time I connected the FP3 to my PC was after that update.
Yes, still USB preferences are greyed out. Also, I just realized that although the green charging LED is on, charging doesn’t work on my PC. It does get charged on a USB socket charger though.

Apparently, Windows can’t search for driver updates since it doesn’t detect the device at all unless it’s in fastboot mode.

Did you by from a shop or was it a privat sell? If the latter do you know why it was sold? Is there still warranty?

Probably there is an issue with the bottom module. So it might be worse to dissamble and probably clean contact, else you might have an Angel near you to swap modules #fairphoneangels

If the bottom module had a communication issue, Windows would not recognize the device in fastboot mode. I rather suspect a corrupted ROM image…

@yvmuell it was a private sell.

@DeepSea I also think that it’s not a hardware issue.

I unlocked the bootloader and temporarily booted a Lineage recovery. Still adb devices does not work.
ADB seems crucial for sideloading the LineageOS ZIP package, so I am nervous to proceed formatting, as…

This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage, as well as format your cache partition (if you have one)

Is it correct that this will erase the current Android? And without an ADB connection I won’t be able to reinstall any OS?

when you temporarily flash Twrp and have an SD card you dont need ADB for LOS Installation but could flash the ZIP from SD twrpwoflashing
Edit: at least thats the case in the FP2, although also not mentioned in the official Guidelines

No should not erase the OS I would say…

1 Like

If you were about to install a different OS ROM, AFAIK it is mandatory to erase everything, but it might turn out that I am wrong…

@Wippi as you mentioned the shift phone and I assume its only known in germany do you speak German? @urs_lesse do you think your “workaround” to install A9 manually (as its easier) mentioned in your file in the FB group could help here to be a bit safer?

Too much to read for me right now. Any manual installation on the FP3 still needs ADB which seems to be the problem here.

Hmmm so the instructions you wrote on Facebook are no longer applicable? Download the A9 zip file and install using fastboot without the need to unlock the bootloder…

Wippi cannot get his computer to recognize the FP3, so how would he install using fastboot …

Most PCs (even more if they’re rather old) don’t provide enough power to charge a phone, except if it’s a USB port designed for charging.

For ADB to work in the Lineage recovery, you first need to find the option “enable ADB” in the options (perhaps in “advanced”, can’t recall just now).

That’s also how I usually do on FP2s, but it’s not mentioned in the FP3 LOS install guide.

1 Like

He managed to install the fastboot driver and fastboot devices works

2 Likes

I don’t know if flashing A.0120 still works. No extra FP3 here to test.

1 Like

as I think there was quite a bit of chaos left yesterday late, trying to summarize.

My idea to use an SD card to flash LOS instead of ADB was not confirmed yet to be working on the FP3 so far, so most likely no good idea to try unless you are really adventerous.
However, as we assume its not hardware but software related, I think it would be worth it to manually reinstall the current FPOS following the instrutions

As far a I can see, fastboot is needed, but no ADB. Hoping that this will repair the driver issues and then you could install any other OS using ADB.
Else, even if it was a private sell, when you have the invoice and there is still warranty, I would probably get in contact with support.
Or you happen to have an Angel near by that could probably provide some 1:1 help #fairphoneangels

2 Likes

Yes, I speak German :slight_smile:

as we assume its not hardware but software related

Actually I found a thread where someone had water damage in their device and found fastboot to be still working but ADB did not.

I followed the guide you mentioned and reinstalled Fairphone OS offline via fastboot, but the problem is still there.

I’ll try to connect a friend’s phone to my PC via ADB next.

3 Likes

You might want to disassemble the phone and check the water indicators. If they are red, the phone had a water incident…

1 Like

Ok, this is ridiculous:
Since I was using my flat mate’s cables and didn’t have my own one yet, I went to the shop today and bought myself a new USB-C to USB-A cable, and… it WORKS!

My Windows PC detects the FP instantly and adb devices works as well.

I don’t really get it because the other cables worked perfectly for data transfer with their phones! The only difference is that both cables were USB-C to USB-C with an USB-A adaptor.

I’m so glad and thankful for all you advice anyway!

5 Likes

Great, thanks for submitting the feedback!

1 Like

It could be that the adapter wasn’t IF data compatible, I have a similar issue.

All the best

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.