FP3: my order just got delayed by one month! from mid Sep. to mid Oct. to early Nov

• Reserve battery (as it will wear out eventually, about 1,5 years for 500 cycles with FP2; probably less quick with FP3)
  • Different back case
  • Headphones

(You normally cannot combine discount codes.)

3 Likes

I allowed myself to make a tiny edit to your post so that the video would display visibly instead of just the hyperlink. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, a battery seems to be a good idea. However, my post above sounds a bit more negative than it was intended to be. I just wanted to point out that I would have even preferred a 5€ discount on my current order over the 25€ discount code.

4 Likes

I did not mention the battery, since my first one for the FP2 is still doing fine after more than three years. And buying something, just to spend the voucher wouldn’t seem very sustainable.

I know, that LiIon batteries do not age like others batteries, still …

1 Like

So if I ordered one today … it might get shipped mid November, arriving maybe end November? What are the odds? I remember waiting 4 months for my FP2 … the delays were never quite as short as advertised … and with the dogged, belligerent incompetence of our current government, who knows what will happen to imports over the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, my FP2 is sick (again), the (3rd) bottom module I bought now won’t charge the battery, so the (2nd) spare one is installed, but that one has a bad microphone, the original (1st) bottom module has a damaged usb connector. So, is it worth spending €25 on a new (4th) bottom module to get it through to mid November … or even spending €90 to bring it to near new for a while (the camera won’t focus and the battery life (battery number 3) is reducing all the time) at least until FP3 is in full production …

these or buckle down and buy another unfairphone (my partner has the last “whilst I wait for my FP2 to be fixed” unfairphone I bought).

Decisions decisions …

I’m pleased the phone is more ethical than most, but it’s not exactly environmentally sound with all the parts I’ve bought over the last 3 years :slight_smile:

To date: 5 covers, (two still OK), 4 screens (I broke two, one died), 3 bottom modules, 2 main boards, 3 batteries (1 still OK…ish) and a camera module that won’t focus.

Still a handful of modules is still less consumption than a whole new FP3.

3 Likes

Worth a try (with pictures) …

2 Likes

A skilled person (perhaps a Fairphone Angel) might be able to merge your bottom modules. @Leo_TheCrafter do you recon that is possible in this situation?

2 Likes

Hi all, I was really excited to join the Fairphone Community but was wondering if anyone else is having to wait for as long as me to get it? I ordered on the day of the announcement, so within the first hours it was possible to order, but my delivery keeps on being pushed back. Just now again to early November.

Meanwhile a friend bought one from a third party supplier and already has hers! Does that mean they serve third party suppliers first? Is anyone else having such a long delay?

Just very disappointing, as my old phone isn’t working properly anymore and I urgently need one and am worried, this will be dragged out for another 2 months… So considering whether to cancel and try somewhere else or go to the same place my friend bought hers from. :pensive:

1 Like

Hi Tessa, welcome to the Fairphone Community Forum :slight_smile: I moved your post here so you can find some more info on the situation.

Yes, some resellers already have the Fairphone 3 in stock, you can find a list here:

2 Likes

Tried that, had it all in bits but it made no difference. no sticky foam out of place and even less when I’d scraped about a bit; but still no joy. Thanks for the link tho.

I had all three bottom modules apart.

I reckoned the easiest thing to swap might be the microphone (from “won’t charge” module to “crackly mike” module), but the microphone looks to be surface mounted to the module PCB. I can’t even see the solder to be honest and can’t get the PCB off the module base either.

I have no idea what is wrong with the “not charging” bottom module so wouldn’t know what to swap across! Again all the components are microscopic surface mount jobbies. The one with the wobbly USB connector may also have the charge fault; that was an early failure in which the phone charged then discharged itself over-night then refused to charge again. FP sent me a new battery and module under warranty.

I’ll bet @Leo_TheCrafter could fix it though - having seen his alternative bottom modules :¬).

2 Likes

Same for me. I really apreciate the gesture, but I don’t plan to buy any other thing in the next year in the Fairphone store. I ordered the charger and cable with the phone because it’s also more eco-friendly (and cheap, of course) making just one delivery.

What about buying a gift card with the discount code? A gift card is valid for three years since it’s bought! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great idea and I can’t imagine, why this should not work. :smile:

1 Like

This is really great, that there is an apology from the CEO, and it give the impression they are full-steam on solving the problem.
Damage controlling with discounts and it is a powerful eddition to make it a video for a personal connection.

Communication to comunity is key.

I am one of the LUCKY ones, have had my FP3 for almost a week now, and if it is ANY comfort to you, I can tell you that the new phone is so fantastic. REALLY worth the wait!:trophy:

6 Likes

If you disassable your modules with wobbly usb. Did you have a magnifier? I repaired such kind of failure bottom modules very easy.

1 Like

After watching Eva’s video I had to think of Miyamoto’s famous quote “A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever.”

So the non-reseller Fairphone 3 batches are delayed for a few weeks and it sucks. However, I am thankful that Fairphone is investing into minor design iterations that late in the production stage.

We can guess that resellers had to get stock asap because of tight contracts. But since the first batch Fairphone added an additional screw to ensure the display module connectivity, improved the backplate and now they’re modifying the bottom module to prevent possible audio issues on the model 3.

These kind of in-production-iterations probably cost Fairphone money on all fronts. It adds a lot of costly production changes, it grinds out your employees, people cancel orders due to impatience, negative press during launch quarter deters some potential buyers and so on.

All this to give us, the people that preordered on Fairphone.com, the best possible Fairphone 3. Supply chain issues aside, they probably could’ve just shipped the first iteration that went to resellers significantly sooner but they chose not to, and even tho my Fairphone 2 is dying I am glad they didn’t.

Because Miyamoto’s quote is valid for all kinds of products. A delayed phone is eventually good, a bad phone is bad forever.

4 Likes

Hmm, IIRC the Essential Phone got delayed and was a bummer. The Samsung Galaxy Fold as well. Delayed phones can be disappointing, or terrible. It means very little. Perhaps with statistical analysis we can make assumptions about what is more likely?

Well, wait and see… So far, the comments on FP3 sound rather pleased, so I guess the chances for a “eventually good” phone will be greater than getting a piece of cr@p. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

No product is perfect. It just has to be good enough, and there is not much “fair” competition.

1 Like

Very well said! :point_up: