FP3: my order just got delayed by one month! from mid Sep. to mid Oct. to early Nov

This is a pity.
I haven’t receive the mail yet, but if it also applies to my FP3, so be it.
I rather wait and get a phone without an issue.
Especially because the sound is of great importance to me as a hearing impaired person.

Edit at 17:35 hoursCET : I just recieved the mail you metioned.

3 Likes

I didn’t get the email with the Youtube video (yet?).
Maybe it means that the delivery is delayed for some people only?
At least we know why now and I’m fine with it :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: I got the email haha

1 Like

It does not explain why it was delayed on the first time, and does not explain why they got delays on getting the chargers and cables. They are far from transparent on what they are doing.

Ok, I am accepting the delay, this happens. (Although I don’t understand why orders have not been processed in the order of payment, but dependent on the charger/cable.) I am still using my FP1 and it will do until the FP3 arrives. However, I am a bit unhappy with the 25€ discount code for future purchases, given that I ordered a FP3 with cable and charger. I feel a bit cheated here, since I do not expect anything interesting to be available in the shop within the next year. Currently, we can order a FP3, the cable, the charger (which I all did) and spare parts (which I will not need within the first year due to warranty). So the 25€ discount code seems to be useless for me (and everyone that already ordered a FP3 with cable and charger) at a first glance.

Is it Fairphone’s idea to cancel the order and place it again with the discount code? Unfortunately, I think the crowdfunding discount code won’t work again. :cry:

3 Likes

You could give the code to a friend who is thinking about getting an FP3! :blush:

4 Likes

First of all, it seems, they at least read along in this forum and react accordingly, if they did not get that idea on their own (which I hope).
They could have been a bit faster posting an apology; I wouldn’t have needed a video.

Regarding the discount code.
That is just an add on and a sign of good-will, that would not have been neccassary to me. Others (rightfully so) might feel different about this.
So, if I can use it, great, if not, no problem either. (Most likely I will have forgotten about it in a few months time anyway. :wink: )
Possibly they will offer other/more accessories later, that are tempting to buy?
Especially the headphones should be available at a later time. And if someone needs them, the discount makes it 50% off the price (including shipping).

Edit
To all, who did not see the headphones so far. They are available for preorder from resellers in Switzerland (34.90 CHF to 44.90 CHF) and one in the Netherlands (39.90 €). One page states, they will be available by week 47 (i.e. not before mid-November).

2 Likes

The email with apologies is just what we needed, even a bit more. The € 25 would not have been necessary for me, but it is a nice gesture. It shows that good communication and saying ‘sorry’ is not that difficult :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes
  • Reserve battery (as it will wear out eventually, about 1,5 years for 500 cycles with FP2; probably less quick with FP3)
  • Different back case
  • Headphones

(You normally cannot combine discount codes.)

3 Likes

I allowed myself to make a tiny edit to your post so that the video would display visibly instead of just the hyperlink. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, a battery seems to be a good idea. However, my post above sounds a bit more negative than it was intended to be. I just wanted to point out that I would have even preferred a 5€ discount on my current order over the 25€ discount code.

4 Likes

I did not mention the battery, since my first one for the FP2 is still doing fine after more than three years. And buying something, just to spend the voucher wouldn’t seem very sustainable.

I know, that LiIon batteries do not age like others batteries, still …

1 Like

So if I ordered one today … it might get shipped mid November, arriving maybe end November? What are the odds? I remember waiting 4 months for my FP2 … the delays were never quite as short as advertised … and with the dogged, belligerent incompetence of our current government, who knows what will happen to imports over the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, my FP2 is sick (again), the (3rd) bottom module I bought now won’t charge the battery, so the (2nd) spare one is installed, but that one has a bad microphone, the original (1st) bottom module has a damaged usb connector. So, is it worth spending €25 on a new (4th) bottom module to get it through to mid November … or even spending €90 to bring it to near new for a while (the camera won’t focus and the battery life (battery number 3) is reducing all the time) at least until FP3 is in full production …

these or buckle down and buy another unfairphone (my partner has the last “whilst I wait for my FP2 to be fixed” unfairphone I bought).

Decisions decisions …

I’m pleased the phone is more ethical than most, but it’s not exactly environmentally sound with all the parts I’ve bought over the last 3 years :slight_smile:

To date: 5 covers, (two still OK), 4 screens (I broke two, one died), 3 bottom modules, 2 main boards, 3 batteries (1 still OK…ish) and a camera module that won’t focus.

Still a handful of modules is still less consumption than a whole new FP3.

3 Likes

Worth a try (with pictures) …

2 Likes

A skilled person (perhaps a Fairphone Angel) might be able to merge your bottom modules. @Leo_TheCrafter do you recon that is possible in this situation?

2 Likes

Hi all, I was really excited to join the Fairphone Community but was wondering if anyone else is having to wait for as long as me to get it? I ordered on the day of the announcement, so within the first hours it was possible to order, but my delivery keeps on being pushed back. Just now again to early November.

Meanwhile a friend bought one from a third party supplier and already has hers! Does that mean they serve third party suppliers first? Is anyone else having such a long delay?

Just very disappointing, as my old phone isn’t working properly anymore and I urgently need one and am worried, this will be dragged out for another 2 months… So considering whether to cancel and try somewhere else or go to the same place my friend bought hers from. :pensive:

1 Like

Hi Tessa, welcome to the Fairphone Community Forum :slight_smile: I moved your post here so you can find some more info on the situation.

Yes, some resellers already have the Fairphone 3 in stock, you can find a list here:

2 Likes

Tried that, had it all in bits but it made no difference. no sticky foam out of place and even less when I’d scraped about a bit; but still no joy. Thanks for the link tho.

I had all three bottom modules apart.

I reckoned the easiest thing to swap might be the microphone (from “won’t charge” module to “crackly mike” module), but the microphone looks to be surface mounted to the module PCB. I can’t even see the solder to be honest and can’t get the PCB off the module base either.

I have no idea what is wrong with the “not charging” bottom module so wouldn’t know what to swap across! Again all the components are microscopic surface mount jobbies. The one with the wobbly USB connector may also have the charge fault; that was an early failure in which the phone charged then discharged itself over-night then refused to charge again. FP sent me a new battery and module under warranty.

I’ll bet @Leo_TheCrafter could fix it though - having seen his alternative bottom modules :¬).

2 Likes

Same for me. I really apreciate the gesture, but I don’t plan to buy any other thing in the next year in the Fairphone store. I ordered the charger and cable with the phone because it’s also more eco-friendly (and cheap, of course) making just one delivery.

What about buying a gift card with the discount code? A gift card is valid for three years since it’s bought! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great idea and I can’t imagine, why this should not work. :smile:

1 Like