FP3+: Issues with Android 13 update

Maybe one of the many post saying to switch off the screen auto-rotation could be set as solution. I know it is not true for all the troubles but it could help many people.

4 Likes

They changed the settings for contacts you can give a special ringtone. I’m not yet comfortable with that.
I got a special ringtone for some contacts. But with my infrequently often used contacts it is silent :sleeping::roll_eyes:.

Settings about contacts you can also do in Google settings.
I didn’t put this one in Google favourites :woman_facepalming:t3::roll_eyes:

And it seems to be the most recommendable solution, as chances are the problem will vanish with the next update containing all the fixes Google did to Quickstep after they broke it. :wink:

1 Like

Besides the phobe6, there is another point:
Germany&France turn off Swiss data mobile, because it is so expensive :roll_eyes:. It takes long until I can switch to Swiss providers again.
Just a hint

Does anybody else have a similar problem or idea how to solve it?
I also noticed on Deepl.
Another similar issue I experience is when an app tries to launch another one - the other app just doesn’t get launched, for instance when a payment in one app is supposed to launch the banking app. Maybe this also has to do with security issues in android 13?

Hi,
I struggled with A13 upgrade for 1.5 months with apps crashing and auto-rotate collapsing.
I decided to perform a factory reset of the phone and restored from backup.
The phone is now working perfectly, much faster, no app crashing, and auto-rotate on.
I even got access to new features from Microsoft which were not activated just after A13 upgrade.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s quite the annoyance, don’t suppose you found a solution?

Hiya ben,
I’m in a similarly frustrating situation regarding FP3+, but without any real experience with smartphones whatsoever(I stubbornly retained an ancient Nokia handset until it finally died last year).
Any chance you could give a link to the OS along with an guide to install without losing data?
Truly wondering if FP is simply just another greenwashing exercise at this point.

Did you ever solve the issue with photos not always being saved?

I seem to be having similar issues with the SD card. The weird thing is that even when photos were saved initially (for example - I sent one of those photos on WhatsApp), some of them now seem to have disappeared from the SD card (and before they had the opportunity to upload to the Google backup, so in effect the photos seem to be lost - I also tried checking the card by reading the files via my computer, but no joy). On the other hand, some photos I thought I took a few days after updating to A13, and then couldn’t find over the following day or two, have now suddenly reappeared!

But now (both) my camera apps say they can’t save a photo if they are set to save on the SD card. On the other hand, my podcast app, which is set to save on the SD card is still dowloading and saving files which I can play via the app, but they don’t appear when looking for files directly on the card!

I’m very confused… :confounded:

How did you format your SD card? Also have you installed the latest update yet? If I’m not mistaken a new one has been released yesterday. I’m not aware of a fix for your specific issue being included in that one, but it’s worth a try:

4 Likes

Sure. Here comes the link with detailed instructions :

They have a desktop-installer. But you’ll see everything on their page. Good luck and have fun

1 Like

I’m getting the screen frequently fail to turn on, I hit the power button, and the screen stays black I know the phone is on, I can double press the power button and feel the vibration meaning the camera is active but no screen. I either have to reboot and sometimes it’s happened again 5 minutes after a reboot. If I am at home sometimes if I hit a key on an attached BT keyboard I can get the screen to come back on.

This android 13 upgrade has pretty much made the phone unusable, I had already given up on fairphone but I expected to use this one a bit longer.

Hi, thank you for the article! Will follow through this, hopefully it helps.

Nope.

(random extra characters to meet the 20 requirement :/)

Many thanks to the team at Fairphone who developed FP3 Software update: 6.A.020.0.
I immediately noticed,

• WPA3 + WPA2 mode works. No problem with reconnecting after reboot or manual disconnect.
  • Device boots faster.

Delayed SIM PIN is not fixed yet, but I believe it will be in the future.
I will need more time to evaluate the rest of problems I’ve reported earlier.

7 Likes

Sadly, just tested the issue with the fresh 5th of august version, bug remains…

Have you informed support about this issue?

If this was a question about the “choose network” issue: I personally have not yet contacted support since I wanted to first try to find out whether this is a Fairphone-specific problem or whether this is just a problem with Android 13 in general. I’ll probably open a ticket later today.

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t remember how I formatted the card, but I did follow recommendations here.

I received the update notification about 15 minutes after posting the above. Talk about timing! :slight_smile:

Will install the update later today and report…

Update - I have installed the update, and while the lost photos haven’t (yet? :crossed_fingers:) returned, at least I can now save to the SD card again. So that’s a win.

2 Likes

Just to add - I think the update has erased loads of data (=photos) from my SD card. I’m talking about around 20GB worth of photos. They were all (I think! :grimacing:) backed up to the Google cloud, so I didn’t notice it at first. But the local copy that I had is now gone. Weirdly it’s not all the photos, but seems to be a random selection of photos survived the upgrade. I’m wondering if I also lost things from the phone’s core memory, as about 2GB less of it’s memory is in use than it was before the update. Initially I thought it was just memory being more efficiently used etc, but now - after realising what happened to the SD card - I’m not so sure…