FP3+: Issues with Android 13 update

Hey, thanks. I ordered a new battery.

Something similar happens to me, just with YT (not Plus). It’s so annoying, it happens every time I stop the video and I need to reboot the phone.

Hi,
Since I update my FP3+ to android 13 several apps require me to login again, redirect towards a webpage, but after entering username and password, it just keeps loading but nothing happens. I have this with several apps. Any idea what the issue may be and how to solve it?

Many thanks.

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

Can you give us some examples of these apps?

2 Likes

For now I’ve noticed it on Belgian apps like SNCB (train services) and Farmad.

I experience the same issue since upgrading my FP3 to Android 13.

I live on the Swiss/French border and have a Swiss and a German SIM. Whenever I cross the border into France, both SIM cards switch to a French network relatively quickly, but then stay on that French network even if I return to Switzerland. This stays like this for days on end until I make a trip away from the border region where there is no French network available anymore. I can even restart the phone, remove and reinsert one or both of the SIM cards and in particular the Swiss SIM (from GoMo) will connect to the French network again. And the reception of the Swiss network is definitely better that the French one, where I live…

Before the Android upgrade I could easily switch off automatic network selection, choose the Swiss network and then re-enable automatic network selection. Now, after the upgrade, once my phone decides it likes the French network better, I cannot use mobile data (unless I enable roaming, which isn’t really affordable with my contract) until I either pick up my bike or buy a tram ticket and ride 3-5 km from the border. Pretty inconvenient, if you ask me.

Is there anything know about this behaviour? Do other people besides @legenderic and @thmslg experience this? Is this Fairphone specific or does it also occur on other phone with Android 13? I found googling this issue very difficult and didn’t really find any reports matching my experience. Is there any remedy?

exactly encouter the same problems, feels even like a worthless phone

Firstly, for me the A13 upgrade was smooth and brought some improvements, e.g. battery life.

Besides the known issue of the software downgraded fingerprint security level, has anyone else encountering the notification sound for all notifications staying very high no matter what the “Ring and notification volume” is set to? The ring volume reacts to the setting.

Apologies if this has been talked over before. I searched this thread, but couldn’t find this one discussed yet.

@everyone
I own a FP3+ and had the same issues.
I used to work for a company specialized on finding “planned obsolesence”, meaning - economy driven early attrition to make consuments rebuy or buy newer products. It is not only hardwarebased, but also softwarebased. This update to me is a strong indicator for such a process, shortly after releasing FP5. I am truly disappointed by FP company, because I bought this phone to avoid these mechanisms.

Today I found a solution - I installed a new OS called \e\OS. The installation is realtively simple (takes about an hour) and you can use nearly all your apps (except Google Pay and Google Watch afaik). You will get a spyfree and smoothly running OS. You can also install third party apps and even Google family link works for me. FP company recommends them too, so it’s officially supported.

Cannot emphasize how much I’d recommend this step, especially after this “planned obsolesence update”.

1 Like

I would like to add that I am facing similar issues after the update to Android 13! At first, it seemed to be working very well, but I noticed when I turn on the phone, it takes over an hour for the SIM unlock prompt to appear and until then it claims there are no SIM cards in the phone. And in general, it takes at least an hour after turning the phone on for most applications to start working, which is very inconvenient.

Welcome to the community forum.

Since we have user reports of successful upgrades (i.e. without such issues), it might be worth to do a new install of the OS.
In-place upgrades to new basic OS versions are always tricky, on any device with any OS. They might work out well, or not.

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048050332-Fairphone-3-OS-Manual-Installation

2 Likes

I have the same problem.

The screen won’t react regularly and often throughout my day and at the moment I’m completely stuck because after several reboot attempts (removing the battery first) the phone screen starts flashing during boot and then goes back to black again… No chance using the phone in any way!

For me the issue was resolved by switching off auto-rotate

PS: I think that folding every thread about a specific issue in Android 13 into this big monster thread makes the Forum unusable

3 Likes

Although I agree , I’m wondering, when it starts here where to stop and open an extra topic, and an extra topic for each and every tiny littly topic does the same in my eyes.I think to keep the forum cristal clean is impossible, because even if we mods with help of TL4 be able to spend this time here to do this, people start side discussions and dont want to be censored and so on and so on, in my I eyes a game you will loose, irrespective of what you do.
My feeling is, we have 3 main issues since A13: fingerprint (has its own topic), auto-rotation and no dial tone, which are both covered here, and now going back and take them out and create new topics needs time.

Edit: this is just to give an answer and idea, please everyone do not discuss this here any further, as such are exactly the things that interfere in topics

1 Like

Maybe one of the many post saying to switch off the screen auto-rotation could be set as solution. I know it is not true for all the troubles but it could help many people.

4 Likes

They changed the settings for contacts you can give a special ringtone. I’m not yet comfortable with that.
I got a special ringtone for some contacts. But with my infrequently often used contacts it is silent :sleeping::roll_eyes:.

Settings about contacts you can also do in Google settings.
I didn’t put this one in Google favourites :woman_facepalming:t3::roll_eyes:

And it seems to be the most recommendable solution, as chances are the problem will vanish with the next update containing all the fixes Google did to Quickstep after they broke it. :wink:

1 Like

Besides the phobe6, there is another point:
Germany&France turn off Swiss data mobile, because it is so expensive :roll_eyes:. It takes long until I can switch to Swiss providers again.
Just a hint

Does anybody else have a similar problem or idea how to solve it?
I also noticed on Deepl.
Another similar issue I experience is when an app tries to launch another one - the other app just doesn’t get launched, for instance when a payment in one app is supposed to launch the banking app. Maybe this also has to do with security issues in android 13?

Hi,
I struggled with A13 upgrade for 1.5 months with apps crashing and auto-rotate collapsing.
I decided to perform a factory reset of the phone and restored from backup.
The phone is now working perfectly, much faster, no app crashing, and auto-rotate on.
I even got access to new features from Microsoft which were not activated just after A13 upgrade.

5 Likes