FP3 How to turn off Bluetooth visibility?

In the past it was under Bluetooth settings, but I can’t find it anywhere

About which Fairphone running which software are you talking :smirk:?

XD
Fairphone3
Android13 (6.A.023.1)

In recent versions of Android I think this is managed differently. You should find that, although Bluetooth may be enabled on your FP3, it will not be visible to other unpaired devices, unless

• the phone is unlocked and the screen on
  • to make the phone visible for pairing, go to
    Settings > Connected devices

In other words, the phone only becomes available for pairing when its owner demonstrates a wish for this to happen.

As soon as you leave the “Connected devices” screen (for example, you go back to the previous screen), your FP3 will again be invisible to devices that haven’t seen it already.

From a point of view purely of user functionality this approach probably smooths out a lot of confusion for inexperienced users who may have inadvertently turned off their device’s discoverability.

[Edit] Similar behaviour observed in Windows 11.

I don’t have the time right now to find and cite supporting documents but the above are my empirical findings.

3 Likes

Aha, I have solved my issue:

• my car kept trying to pair, bc he had paired with me in the past
    I made my car forget me

I don’t see a way to block incoming pair connections if we have a fall out with some device - likely too much of an edge case

1 Like

A device that isn’t paired with your phone cannot connect to it unless you, yourself, go to Settings > Connected devices.

Pairing requests are always presented to the user through a pop-up dialogue box.

2 Likes

True but that’s exactly what happend with my car. It had my old FP4 conneced to it before I’ve upgraded to the FP5. I had to manually remove it from the car so it would quit connecting to the old device when I streamed music to it. even if I told the device to remove the car without telling the car’s radio to do the same. funny how android auto still connected even when it was removed before hand. I think it could be a safety feature just in case an accident occurs.

That’s interesting. So to get this absolutely clear (the order is important)

1. Your car was previously paired with a FP4 using Android Auto (AA).
  2. You acquired a FP5 which you also paired with the car.
  3. On the FP4 you deleted the pairing with your car.
    Having done that, when the FP4 was in range of the car, AA would still connect and stream music to the car.
  4. It was necessary to delete the pairing with FP4 on the car’s system in order to stop that behaviour.

Can you confirm? I agree that sounds like a bug with security issue. I don’t know about the “in case of accident” aspect, I would suspect that the behaviour you describe is not by design.

It’s obviously a situation more complex than the straightforward phone / headset pairing, since the car system is an “active” partner.
Just one more point: do the FP4 and FP5 have the same name (as seen in Bluetooth)? That of course should not be a factor, since BT works with unique identifiers, but it’s worth asking the question.

Yeah. Just note this car is an older 2017 model and I suspect the firmware is more likely older than the newer cars. I kinda like it though. It just means there may be more bugs. Plus I don’t have to pay a subscription to use the stereo like in a tesla model 3 witch I hear has abandoned Android Auto in favor of costum firmware. I say no thanks to paying extra for things built into the car. Even if I have to convert my car to electric in the future. At least I don’t have have to pay for things like radio and heated seats. That’s an opinion that I’m more likely to keep as things keep becoming subscription based.