FP3 : Fairphone Open OS?

Totally agree, same idea here.

Fairphone needs to pay licensing fees for every unlocked bootloader. For the FP2 they kindly did this for all phones (although perhaps only 10% run an alternative OS,) for the FP3 they were reconsidering this. To whom these fees need to be paid, however, was not quite clear to me.

5 Likes

Haha :slight_smile: I know what a dictatorship is :wink: I apologize for having you take the time for clarification. I’ll leave a smiley next time to avoid this. It is natural to me to dislike google, just like anything/anyone taking away freedom. I’m locked if I want my phone to do more than just phone and text. iOS is not an alternative to me, just another lock-in. If you know of any OS that works on FP3, please let me know :slight_smile: Sadly that OS shall be based on android so I can communicate with my bank and government. Somehow software ended up making us all pay a small number of big companies a huge amount of money. To get back to my question- anyone here working on an alternative? Or know of someone I could support?

3 Likes

I don’t know as well.
But I guess it’s like a key or a software that you pay licensing fees for by the number of users.

Hmmm… Why not sell a key for unlock the bootloader on the fairphone shop. So the user can decide.

1 Like

The bootloader can be unlocked already.

6 Likes

Dear Jeroen,

It is a good idea to edit Office documents on a smartphone. I have a pocket computer since more than 26 years (smartphones did not exist at that time yet), and from the beginning one of my main applications (next to programming) were table calculations. And still today you can avoid programming a new app by entering a few lines of code in a table calculation. If there is a working OSS table calculation in F-Droid, I would be happy to use it. In addition, I avoid apps only on F-Droid and not on Play Store for security reasons. Please note that – while I am quite familiar with the technology – I give workshops on Smartphones, and I have to keep things as simple as possible.

Regards

Leonhard

2 Likes

I mean if anything F-Droid is far more secure then the play store, all the apps are fully open source and you can see exactly what the apps are doing, assuming you only have the stock F-Droid repos added.

Dear Wiggum127,

Thanks a lot for making me aware of the concern with CamScanner. I now use PDF Extra instead, Open Note Scanner misses both PDF output and multipage documents (if it will evolve in this direction, I will happily use and recommend it; I was even tempted to contribute these parts myself, but my knowledge of Java is quite limited). Please note that – while I am quite familiar with the technology – I give workshops on Smartphones, and I have to keep things as simple as possible.

Ecology is a big concern of any meta-search-engine, as for every search the Google search engine(s) consume power, plus the meta-search-engine. So it is a question of ecology vs. privacy. I myself use the Google search engine directly, but only in the private mode of FireFox (such avoiding tracking cookies).

Regards

Leonhard

1 Like

Really? Do you have a source for that? Not that I am not believing you, just that this sounds quite strange to be.

3 Likes

That’s at least what Monica told us at the #efct19.
Apparently they payed that fee for every FP2 sold.

1 Like

But apparently, they did. So this bootloader can be unlocked. I wouldn’t buy a phone where you can’t unlock a boot loader (as long as industry will let me, but then probably there are other choices as well).
Now eagerly awaiting either FPOOS or TWRP :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have no problem having to pay for an unlock feature like that, as long as companies are upfront about it (“in-app purchases” aren’t; they’re shady). Same with ability to run [official] SailfishOS on a smartphone.

6 Likes

Very bad news for me. On my side I first had an FP1, which came google-free by default -all of them; then I only bought FP2s for my family once I was sure that OpenOS was available (to be installed, and not by default alas).
What you are reminding us is, Fairphone waited 1.5 year before releasing this for FP2s.
I am not very active on this forum because the only reason os to check on this very piece of info. Today I was checking with the idea of switching my elder son’s FP1 for Christmas… it seems I have zero chance indeed…

2 Likes

Count again :wink: .

11 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m interested in buying a Fairphone3 but I would like to know if it will support Ubuntu Touch. I like the idea of using an open-source OS and I think it’s compatible with the idea of a ethical phone.

Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

I’m not aware that anybody is already porting Ubuntu Touch to the FP3 and Fairphone hasn’t released the sources yet. So I assume it will take some time. And as far as I know there are difficulties for an UT port regarding phones released with Android 8 or later.

1 Like

Hi,

this sounds way too apodictical and ideological to me. Ever thought about that a project like Fairphone simply could not exist without Google’s investments into Android and the ecosystem?

Just sayin’

Best wishes,
Thomas

3 Likes

@teezeh Probably not, but Fairphone could still exist without installing G00gle Spyware on their phones like they did on FP1. In fact, this would make software development a lot easier since they could skip all the bulky G00gle-certification-bs, as we learned in a workshop at the #efct19.

6 Likes

That’s not what @teezeh said. Thomas mentioned the investments of Google into Android and has a point. Since a lot of the people working on Android, probably most, don’t pay their rent and groceries with love and respect by the open source community, but with their well payed ( I assume) Google Engineering Jobs. Believing Android would be such a flexible and secure operating system without Google is not very realistic. I would not even exist.

3 Likes