FP3 Display freezes! Display noise issue

That’s great! Still I assume that the pictures in this thread should resemble more your FP3 than the phones in the other one… :wink:

1 Like

As I can’t edit my old publication, and seeing that this still happens to other people, I want to share with everyone that 9 months later, and after removing and assambling the screen again after the freezed colored pixels that day, I haven’t had that problem again until today. I hope it continues like this :crossed_fingers::slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi there,
Since my last post on this topic a few months ago, the problem did not reoccur… until my phone fell from about 40cm height. The screen was rainbow pixelized again. I was scared… I just did a “twisting” thing and it immediately came back to normal, without needing to open it or removing the display. I did even not turn it off.

Cheers

5 Likes

The problem first showed after dropping my FP3 in a horizontal position flat on a wooden table top from less than an inch. The screen would – at apparently random intervals – freeze even without interaction (e.g. while watching a video) but audio would play on, weird false color halos would show in pure red and green, and ultimately the full screen of rainbow pixels. Rotating the phone would sometimes resolve the freeze. Switching the display off and on again would sometimes resolve the full screen of rainbow pixels. The display would still react to touch.

The problem escalated quickly within hours, rendering the phone unusable. Rebooting the device several times, removing the battery and SIM cards, etc made no difference.

Fairphone support suggested that

this issue can be caused by the display module not being properly connected to the core module. We suggest you the following steps:

1. Put your phone on a flat surface
  2. Turn the phone on
  3. Press all along the border of your phone with your thumb (not too hard). Does the screen work normally after this?

The procedure did help, but the problem reappeared every other day, even multiple times on one day! At some point the procedure did stop helping.

I checked the four screws that secure the connection between display and core module as suggested by urs_lesse but found them tight. I then disassembled my phone as suggested by corvuscorax (see this video on how to replace the display of your Fairphone 3). I cleaned the display contacts with isopropyl alcohol (aka isopropanol). After reassembling the phone the problem has not reappeard for three days.

Is this truely is the price to pay for a phone that can be disassembled without having to unsolder components?

3 Likes

Can anyone suggest how to remove the screws attaching the display…9 came out easy but remaining were “chewed” so can’t get purchase…
If they’d all been on same side I might have been able to find another way round it they’re on opposite sides and middle…
I guess I’ll have to reassemble, try the twist and keep fingers crossed. trying to avoid sending it to support as I can’t download anything I need without screen :confused :confused:
EDIT; So I reassembled fone again tho I hadn’t been able to get to display module…powered up and was back to normal!. Who knows how but it’s good …for now.

Hello, my screen is frozen like on the pictures above since this afternoon. It happened after a bag with my phone in it fell, although it was really not from high up and didn’t seem like much, but I guess it must have moved something in the phone.
I tried opening it up and twisting it a bit, but no luck so far.
I would welcome any other ideas, if anyone has some.
I would really hate to have to buy another phone after less than a year with this one… :frowning:

What do you mean? Have you been able to dis- and reassemble the display?

3 Likes

Yes I have, but nothing changed, the screen is still in freeze mode.

3 Likes

I have tried it a second time and it has worked, so my phone seems to be back to normal - nothing seemed different in what I’ve tried the first and second time (i.e. disassemble the phone and try twisting it around a bit when reassembling it), so it’s worth trying several times if you run into such an issue…

3 Likes

Thanks! Recently had this problem with my Fairphone 3 and got it solved by securing those four screws.

2 Likes

This worked for me - I was about to request a replacement but saw this and it’s solved! Thank you for the tip!

Taking the whole thing apart and cleaning connections and tightening screws did nothing, but the simple twist worked perfectly.

1 Like

Thanks so much! This seems to have fixed it.

3 Likes

It worked for me too.

1 Like

i had the same issue - twisting the phone did the trick for me.

as good as the intentions of the fairphone are, the hardware seems to be a piece of crap. i also have permanent issues to unlock via fingerprint sensor…

Yes intentions seem good and we may want to be more than we are but we will always be the most demanding and careless animals.

This is the Fairphone game, a roundabout of expectations, you pay your fee and join the ride, but you can leave at any time, but maybe not without a sore head or arse for all the unexpected ups and downs.

Have you already tried this trick?

a lot of users had a vast improvement with adding just a piece of tape :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m having struggles… My phone fell because of my own clumsyness (regret, regret…) and now it shows this screen. Seems to be solvable, but I don’t understand what is meant by “twisting it” Twisting what, how? I tried the four screws, didn’t work. When I get the battery out and in again, it shows this screen. Confused, desperate, and disappointed in my own addiction apparently. Can anyboday tell me what to do?
Having a FP3

Hi Jytta

Welcome to the forum. I’ve never had the problem but twisting probably means holding the phone at either end and twisting the phone. I can only suggest you try again.

Also this forum is very quiet at this time of night, it’s nigh on midnight UK. Goodnight and good luck, will check after sunrise to see how you got on.

shortly after i wrote the post above that the twist solved the display issue, it reoccurred and could not be solved in any way. so i sent the phone to the repairshop.

@HolosericaCaligo thank you for the hint with the tesa film strip. will try it out when the phone is back.

1 Like

Ordered the FP3+ in September 2021 (as work phone, paid by employer), long delivery time, but got it at the start of November. So just 3 weeks old now (this is Oslo, Norway)
Huge problems comes and goes. Absolutely not reliable.
Lagging, freezing, and that famous noizy screen.

The phone goes unresponsible for many seconds, very often, and the respons returns only in “small chunks”. Its like having no phone.

Googling around, I found many having this kind of problem with the Fairphone, even the older models.
Nobody able to fix this?

Only solution is to return the phone, and buy something else?

If there is a fix I havent seen, please shout out.

Edit:
When I wrote this, it was because the phone had been un-usable for at least an hour.
I took off the original plastic cover (“made to open”), and it immediately become normal again (normal working, not normal freezing…).
Is the plastic-cover making a pressure on something, buttons, chassis…?
Check it out.

I will come back in some days or so, to update my experiences. :santa: