FP3 connectivity issues

When I check ‘systemupdate’, it says it’s Android version 11 and that the last update was in April 2022.
The Build number i: 8901.4.A.0010.

• 4G is enabled. When I had the FP2 I did switch off 4G from time to time, as I did have reception on 2G (but that made it necessary to reboot my phone every time I left the house).
    I have not done this with the FP3 yet.
  • There is a SD memory card installed, and it is formatted as ‘portable/external’. I’ll try that.
  • I did drop the FP3 months ago.
  • I’ll ask around for carrier changes.

One other thing I noticed this morning is that, while I had turned on mobile-data, it automatically switched itself off again.
I heard this from one other Android user too.

Just to be sure and clear, I was talking about 4G Calling, not (directly) the mobile data “Preferred network type”.

Check with the other user, but I would recommend a network reset if all else fails.
This is less drastic than a factory reset, it will just delete all network - related settings (Wi-Fi saved passwords, APNs for mobile data and MMS, Bluetooth pairings).

To do this, go to Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Before doing this you might want to make a note of your APN settings just in case (they should get reconfigured automatically).

Indeed, I had understood this was about 4G calling. The only option I have is selected, which is ‘automatic (4G/3G/2G)’

I’ll check with the other user, and if it automatically switches of again tomorrow. If so, I’ll do the network reset.

Thanks so much for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same issue with my FP3. No connectivity for calling and mobile internet. Sim-card status says 0 network strength, unknown network types, broken connection, but it does say “in use” at service status.

Wifi works. I have 1 sim-card, no SD-card, software version 8901.4.A.0010. Network preference set to “Automatic (4G/3G/2G)”, network selection also automatic.

• I tried turning mobile data and roaming off and on again, didn’t help.
  • I tried updating my OS, but it says I have the latest updates (Android 11, security-update April 5th, Google Play May 1st).
  • I replaced my sim-card, thinking it might be broken, but the issue remains.
  • I tried putting my sim-card in the second sim slot, but no change.
  • I tried resetting my network settings as you suggested, but no change.

As far as I can tell everything is fine on my provider’s end (KPN) and with my mobile subscription. I’m starting to think it might be a hardware issue? Could it be that the antenna/receiver is broken? Could it be fixed by replacing the top module, potentially?

Hi and welcome to the forum. It seems you have tried all the sensible options to assess where the problem lies.

Have you tried either a ‘Safe mode’ start which will disable any custom apps, or a ‘Factory reset’ which will wipe all your custom settings and data?

The top module, I’m not sure if that has any relevance on network transmission or reception

Same problem here. An “x” appears on the signal strength of the 2 networks of my 2 sims after the update to Android 11 a couple of days ago. So I have no mobile data nor calls.
All settings seem fine (I haven’t changed anything and before it worked), but I will now go through all options mentioned in this thread, although I don’t see any clear solution reported yet.

Seems the same problem as reported by many other users here:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The x indicates the mobile data it turned off rather than is failing to work or negotiate etc.

Updating can upset your personal settings so hopefully it is a simple reset that is required.

I note you have found a more suitable topic

All the best

Hi StepYourMind and welcome to the community and the forum.

I’m assuming that this problem is recent. Can it be linked to any specific event such as OS update?
Would you be able to test the SIM in a different phone?
Official instructions from KPN for configuring FP3 are given here:

I would suggest that you take a look, and if necessary create a new APN as indicated.

If the problem is hardware-related, it might be a good idea to get in touch with a local #fairphoneangel who might be able to lend you parts for testing.

Keep us posted :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay, so I let this rest for a while, because frankly I was just rather annoyed with it. But, I tried your suggestions:

• New APN did not work. All settings were as indicated on the KPN website and going through all of them, reselecting them, then saving, did not yield any results as far as I can tell.
  • I switched the sim-cards of my work phone (FP4) and my personal, faulty one. My personal sim worked perfectly fine in the FP4, and my work-sim (which works fine in the FP4) was unable to connect to the network, both for calls or mobile internet, whilst in the FP3.
  • I didn’t really pay attention at the time (I don’t always have stellar reception where I live) but the problem started around the time I updated to Android 11. Seeing how other people on the Forum report problems after they upgrade I’m inclined to think this caused the problem. But I can’t be sure.

I’m going to check the other thread to see if anyone’s found a solution but right now I’m thinking I might try to find out how to go back to Android 10.

Does anyone know if Fairphone is going to come with a patch to Android 11 anytime soon that might solve the problem?

May be more satisfying for you to contact support at fairphone to see if they are even aware of such a problem.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the case, since the topic you point to, while post-A11 like this one, is about mobile data and IP issues. Android 11 brought lots of temporary problems of different sorts, but those related purely to mobile data have mostly been fixed through adjustment or reinitialisation of APN settings, or taking the phone down to 2G and back up to 4G. It’s unwise to lump things together too hastily.

The problem we’re dealing with in the present topic involves loss of basic telephony (and not surprisingly, but as I see it only as a consequence, loss of data too).

I’m rather inclined to think that these call-related issues are coming from the combination of FP3 + A11 + specific carriers.
In view of that, it may be up to the carrier, or FP and the carrier, to fix the problem. It’s certainly important to make sure that both FP Support and the carrier are aware of each individual case.

2 Likes

Just an update. I tried a factory reset after backing up my photos etc., but it didn’t help. Still no connection to the mobile network. I’ve mailed FP Support to let them know about the issue.

1 Like

That’s good, and I would do the same with your network operator. This may be a problem that needs action at both ends! :slightly_smiling_face:

I placed my work-SIM into the phone (different operator: simyo instead of KPN) and it had the same problem. So I’m inclined to think it’s the phone somehow. But I’ll contact KPN just to be sure. Thanks!

Hello again,

Since my last post, I have indeed tried a network reset to no avail.
I have contacted my provider - Vodafone - who have looked at the network twice, and couldn’t find anything wrong.

I read a factory reset isn’t helping either, so I’m not inclined to try that.

In the meantime, I noticed that; calls just outside my home are now ok again.
My 4G or 4G+ reception is bad in; certain restaurants, shops, trains, trams, busses and both phone reception and 4G/4G+ internet reception are bad is the battery goes below 30%.
I also checked the phone itself, as I did drop it, and noticed there’s a crack in the bottom, in the plastic outside next to the USB-C port, don’t know if that could be part of the issues I experience. And, to add; while I am not sure from which exact date the connection problems started again, but I know I dropped my FP3 later than that.

I have now contacted FP support.

Hopefully something can be done.

EDIT 1: it’s two weeks later and unfortunately I have not heard back from support yet :confused:
EDIT 2: I should have waited a few more hours as I just received an email from support. Hurray! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been in touch with Fairphone Customer Support. They say they’re investigating the root cause of the issue, but currently don’t have a solution.

They’ll keep me updated on any developments.

Has anyone else had any luck with workarounds or solutions to getting back a mobile network connection?

1 Like

The problem seems to your set up, not a general one, so I doubt anyone has had any luck as they may not have the problem. Even the OP has a slightly different problem.

So to confirm, you have no reception via network or Wi-Fi with two SIM cards, one that in new, and they both work in an FP4 neither work in the FP3

I have no reception via network for calls and mobile data in my FP3, since (probably) the OS update. Both calling and data worked fine before May. I have 1 SIM in my FP3, in slot 1. Switching it to slot 2 makes no difference.

Switching my SIM to a FP4 immediately solves the problem and the SIM connects to my carrier’s network just fine. Putting a different SIM in my FP3 encounters the same problem: it just doesn’t see the mobile network, whereas in a different phone, it connects just fine. So yes, the problem seems to be in the FP3 somewhere.

Doing a factory reset has made zero difference, so it’s not a problem with “my” setup insofar as that I’ve done nothing out of the ordinary with my phone (as far as I can tell?). It’s a mass-produced phone, the carrier is the biggest one in my country, Fairphone OS built on Android 11 has seen a global rollout. It should work, but somehow, it doesn’t.

I do have reception via WiFi on my FP3, though it has been more unstable since May (it frequently loses connection and then has to reconnect). This is the only way I can still make calls or receive messages, but this doesn’t really help me when I’m on the road.

1 Like

You might have a look at the APN settings.
Some info here might be of interest

Update:

Have been in touch with Fairphone Customer Support.

One suggestion was to get a new SIM card, as mine was a bit more than 3 years old.
Went to a Vodafone store to have it replaced, after which I had no mobile data (4G or 4G+) at all. They tried and activated a second SIM card, and it didn’t work either.
When putting my old SIM card back in, I had mobile data (4G/4G+) again.

EDIT 1: So, it’s not the SIM card that’s causing my reception problems.
EDIT 2: For clarity’s sake; the original problem - sometimes not being able to make or receive calls in and around my house, and in certain other buildings and/or when the battery is less charged (> 30%) - hasn’t been solved yet :confused:

1 Like