FP3: Complete guide for installing LineageOS: meta discussion

I have a proposal: replace the minimal adb & fastboot with the official platform tools at https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

It might not make a big difference for a LOS installation, but to my knowledge the minimal adb & fastboot were the source of plenty of installation problems in the /e/ forum. IIRC it misses mke2fs which is needed for fastboot -w (part of the /e/ install instructions).

9 Likes

Oh, I didn’t knew that!
Or at least a warning about those missing commands should be mentioned there.
I’ll take a look tomorrow… :slight_smile:

Hi, hope these aren’t dumb questions:

• Why are the commands slightly different from those in the official install manual? ex. fastboot boot instead of fastboot flash boot
  • Can I unlock the bootloader and OEM again after I relocked it, to reinstall FairphoneOS?

Because official install manual flashes the recovery permanently and the guide linked above only starts the recovery for one-time use. I think both is possible.

Yes, you can. Unlocking will “only” again clear your data partition.

2 Likes

Thank you, do you know if the unlock is in a similar location as in FairphoneOS? @Volker

Sorry, can’t say that. I hope someone using LineageOS on a FP3 can/will tell you that…

2 Likes

Ok thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’ve done LineageOS installs before on other phones, but this is my first time doing it with the Fairphone. I’m following your guide but also keeping an eye on the official LineageOS guide here Install LineageOS on FP3 | LineageOS Wiki - it gets a bit confusing when the 2 guides differ.

Anyway, I’ve gotten as far as step 6 using LineageOS-Recovery. Step 1 factory reset was fine, but I’m confused about step 2 where it says:

• Now, navigate back to the main menu and choose Apply update → Apply from ADB

Which main menu are you referring to here? I don’t see this option either in the Fastboot menu or in the Android menus.
Also neither adb devices nor fastboot devices are showing me any device listed when I boot into the Fastboot menu. I’m guessing that’s a problem, right?

Thanks for any help you can give!

To answer my own question, the following worked:

fastboot flash:raw boot_a lineage-17.1-20210329-recovery-FP3.img

I was then able to get into Recovery and proceed with the install.

2 Likes

@HolosericaCaligo
Is there still a reason for this guide to be considered in alpha stage? I think it has been reviewed and modified by the community already, and I believe also tested.

1 Like

No, not really. I think the guide was reviewed by a lot of community members :slight_smile:
I just removed the alpha-tag. Although I’d like to change a few things and synchronize it with the revised guide from LineageOS. But my time is a bit limited atm…

2 Likes

Hi
in the description you write under 6a)

• Navigate to Factory reset → Format data/factory reset
    And then? Power button or just navigating around?

Yes, that means you should then select the option by pressing the Power button.
I will add a clarification.

Hi, thanks a lot for the guide. Looks like the official install guide as well as the present wiki are outdated when they instruct us to

Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot and enter the command fastboot boot RECOVERY-FILENAME.img

The suggestion below seems to do the job, since I also entered the same kind of command, with the added _a (except that I did it also with an added _b)

Also, regarding section 6. Rooting your FP3/FP3+ (optional), alas this is not possible AFAIK, since the new Magisk method provide no zip file any more. The Magisk app wants an img to patch. In LineageOS, we only have one img file, and it’s lineage-17.1-20210719-recovery-FP3.img. Is it the right file to give to Magisk App? And then what should be do with this patched image?

Edit: the instructions at How to Root LineageOS ROM via Magisk Boot [Video] - DroidWin were great and worked for me, but when it says

fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

the command fails. Doing fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img instead worked for me.

1 Like

This will work if the active slot is a, but it may be b and should then be adapted. But you are welcome to your suggestion in the guide as an alternative method.

Yes it is possible, please read thouroughly the install instructions of Magisk. You just have to rename the Magisk.apk Magisk.zip and flash it.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.