FP3 can't load Android

After having taken out the battery to show to a friend how easy that is (and unfortunately with apps running), my FP3 keeps getting stuck in loading Android and I get this message:

Is there anything else I could do instead of a reset?
Thanks!!

Question to the others: Will both unlocking and locking the bootloader come with a complete loss of data? I was tempted to suggest a manual installation, but if it comes with data loss …

P.S.: Unlocking and locking both erase all data.

A backup may be possible before doing a reset
I think unlocking and locking will both erase data.

I would suggest trying (-> Try again) a few more times. AFAIK this should trigger a switch from one slot (A or B) to the other one. Hopefully the OS on the other slot is still bootable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! But how to access anywhere where I can initiate a backup? ( I am totally lost with such things)

I keep trying… 10 to 20 times so far … :pleading_face:

What else have you done?
With the screen as show, by the way nice fingerprint have tried a hard off by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds?

Have you tried removing the battery again, whilst that screen shows ?

What the bootloader unlocked or locked before you did this, i.e. had you enabled adb as a computer may see something else ??

It’s a rarther odd and uncomfortable situation. I would hope a sudden power loss to initiate a half decent shutdown.

Is that screen the first thing that happens, i.e. you don’t use a combination of power button + volume ?

What else have you done?
With the screen as show, by the way nice fingerprint have tried a hard off by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds?

• Yes. The phone then switches off and immediatly on again, and I get the same screen.
    And sorry for the fingerprints, this happened during breakfast…

Have you tried removing the battery again, whilst that screen shows ?

• Yes. And then switched the phone on again - loading always gets stucked at the same point and shows the same screen message.

What the bootloader unlocked or locked before you did this

• I don’t know (the phone was on with severall apps open and normally working, when I took out the battery and this happened),
    i.e. had you enabled adb as a computer may see something else ??
  • I don’t think so

It’s a rarther odd and uncomfortable situation. I would hope a sudden power loss to initiate a half decent shutdown.

Is that screen the first thing that happens, i.e. you don’t use a combination of power button + volume ?

• No, when I try to switch on, the android loading screen appears, and several times the four blue dots, which disappear and reappear), and the message about not being able to load Android appears after then pressing the power button.

ok, that won’t help obviously :frowning:

you could try switching the slots manually by booting into Bootloader:

• Press Volume-Down and the Power Button simultaneously while your Phone is powered off.
  • Download Android Platform Tools
  • Connect the FP3 toyour PC. Using the command promt, you can then enter the command fastboot getvar all and post the output here.
  • With the commands fastboot --set-active=a and fastboot --set-active=b you can switch between those two slots.
    But it would be interresting to see the output of fastboot getvar all
1 Like

Thanks! I don’t have a cable here to connect the phone to the PC, so will try this tonight or tomorrow!

3 Likes

That won’t be possible without an unlocked bootloader and this…

…doesn’t sound like it’s unlocked.

If @jkrohmer needs to install adb first I’d find it very unlikely that the bootloader was unlocked at some point… (if someone else didn’t set up the phone)

And with that we are back at the unlocking leads to factory reset problem again.

1 Like

Indeed, I didn’t install anything like that …

I agree.

In any case, if the bootloader is unlocked, the very first thing you see on booting, is a text notice to that effect.
At present, I don’t see anything better to do than a factory reset, I was just thinking earlier, maybe some data could be salvaged first, but I now think that’s unlikely. In any case, it’s quite likely jkrahmer was doing normal Ggl backups which happen by default I think, if logged in to a Ggl account.
The phone was running 3.A.0136 (most recent FP release, last month).

Two lessons learned: (1) - do backups ; (2) - the battery is indeed removable but you should always turn the phone off first, if you can.
:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks!
And yes - that’s indeed two lessons learned :cry:

Your friend has learned that you can change the battery very quickly.
You have learned that you can quickly destroy a system.
So both had something from it.
Only that your access to knowledge is more painful than that of your friend…
As a rule, something like that only happens once :wink:

1 Like

Such a philosophical, wise and comforting point of view - thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.