FP3+ - Can't decline Android 13 update

At the moment, I’m choosing not to update my 3+ to AOS 13, but Android is deciding that I’m not allowed a choice.
I know the arguments, risks, etc. etc. but it’s my choice - or should be.
To start with I would get a periodic popup prompting to update, but I could decline and cancel the popup. But now, the popup cannot be dismissed, there is only one option - “download and install”. The only way to continue is to reboot the phone.
This is intolerable, there is no justification for forcing software changes onto users. It’s my phone, not Fairphone’s or Google’s.
Is this behaviour under Fairphone’s control, or is it coming from Android? If the former, then could Fairphone please issue an update to make the device less dictatorial?

1 Like

Fairphone is still maintaining Android 11 for the FP3(+) due to the Fingerprin situation for now, but updates need to be installed manually (no reset needed, but you need to download and sideload it). What Android 11 build are you currently running? Is the popup still appearing despite installing the latest A11 FPOS update?

For more Information also see the following threads:

And also see this article regarding manual installation (subsection ‘Fairphone 3(+) > OTA sideload’)

2 Likes

If you goto :
Settings> > Apps and notifications (see all xx apps) > Google play services > Advanced > Notifications
scroll to the bottom (almost) and switch off System Update, you will lose the nag tag. It still does appear every so often, but has been dismissable so far.

I can’t take credit for this. A main player here suggested it (apologies for forgetting who it was and what thread). It works for me though. If I find the thread and the forum allows it, I will asign credit for this accordingly.

2 Likes

I’d already done that. It got rid of the frequent nags, but I still get the occasional one, about weekly I think. They were dismissable, but no longer.

1 Like

I’m on build 8901.4.A.0023.0. I’m aware of the maintenance updates to 11, but from previous reading it seemed that a bootloader unlock, hence reset, was needed, and I was trying to avoid the hassle.

Thanks for your pointers and updated info, from which it appears it’s not needed. I’ll do a sideload of the new build when I get a chance.

2 Likes

Oh heck! I haven’t had that happen (yet). I’m on the same droid version as your are.

I doubt updating to A11 version 25 will stop the nags either as A13 is being pushed OTA and is newer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.