FP3 A.0118, Android9 OS update, security patchlevel April 5th, 2020

Me. My phone is update to date with Patch Level December 5th.

Ah, that’s a pity. If someone provides a download link for the update from the previous step (i.e. 5 February 2020 patches, so I would need A.0111 –> A.0118 ), I’ll finally be able to try the manual installation procedure.

1 Like

OK. The Update is done, but were is the LED configuration in the menu???

1 Like

Settings - Apps & notifications - Notifications - Blink light (On/Off switch)

(Seriously, if you would go as far as not labelling it with something people would find via searching the Settings for “LED”, then I would have labelled it “Blinkenlights”, but that’s just me :slight_smile: .)

5 Likes

OTA url (A.0111 to A.0118): https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/fairphone_fp3_fp3/5eb21a4176987155a3821bab53edff045d6a33ae.zip

4 Likes

Thank you, but it seems I cannot install it via SD card in recovery mode.
(“E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (Status 1)”, then “Installation aborted”.)

1 Like

For a good time, run telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

4 Likes

There are already several posts regarding this in the forum, there is no /sbin/update_engine_sideload in the boot image. I think Fairphone needs to enable something in the build process for this to work.

1 Like

I know the notification light has religious followings both for and against, but to all those who think notification lights belong dead: thank you for taking a few seconds to disable it so the rest of us who do want it can enjoy it. :heart:

3 Likes

I don’t care about notifications but I bought an FP because it is supposed to last me several years but I am still on the update from December. I am using Dutch Vodafone. What do you recommend? Should I contact Vodafone or Fairphone about this issue? It’s really starting to grind my gears! I live alone and don’t have access to anyone’s SIM from another provider right now, but have any Dutchies been successful updating with another SIM and if so, how did you do it?

If you trust @Amber then you should just be a little bit patient (see here, here or here - sorry the latter two posts are in German only).

4 Likes

Thanks, I really hope it is true. In the meantime I am still interested in hearing from people who successfully updated using another SIM with specific details on how they did it (which provider, which slot, etc.)

2 Likes

I’ve just turned on an FP3 here without a SIM card, and if I go to System > System update, it shows the available update. I know you’ve tried that before but it really ought to work - but if it doesn’t, I think contacting Vodafone may be the way to go.

I think there are a lot of “update success stories” in Has anybody received the latest security update yet?, e.g. this one.

2 Likes

I believe, Vodafone support may not able to help, as they might have too little knowledge about the phone, yet. Maybe more to come in the future, or maybe in the Netherlands, they have more knowledge - who knows.

But I’m proud that the Fairphone community is very strong and tries to help each other a lot, which may be far more advantage than any official support. Of course, sometimes an official statement is necessary, I understand completely.

And why not asking also. But if they don’t know, please don’t hesitate to ask here @Linn

I hope I can fulfil this trust. While I have a slightly deeper look to the inside, I’m still depending on other people statements who on their part depending on other people efforts. It still looks promising and I’d like to ask for ~2 weeks of patience.

2 Likes

So, the good news is that FP pushed an OS update within a month from Google publishing its security updates.

Unfortunately my FP3 (A.0111 on Dutch provider hollandsnieuwe) does not see it.

For the time being, just get yourself a Prepaid SIM that does not use Vodafone’s network and put that one into your phone temporarily to receive the update(s).

Eventually, Fairphone and Vodafone will fix this issue, I suppose.

Bij hollandsnieuwe maken we gebruik van het 4G netwerk van Vodafone.

That’s why. Just get yourself a SIM card that does not use Vodafone’s network and put that in your phone to receive the update. You could get a prepaid SIM for example, put that into your second SIM slot and activate it only to download OS updates.

Eventually, Fairphone and Vodafone will fix this.

Some people spend money easier than others, so I wouldn’t be so casual in suggesting people buy things :wink: and still, I already paid 450 euros that should give me these updates.

But this is also why I wanted to hear some success stories, since I read about succes and failure. I would very much like to hear a success story from a Dutch Vodafone customer specifically, so that if I do decide to spend money on a solution, i.e. buy an additional simcard, I don’t want to have spent the money only to find it doesn’t work.