FP3 A.0111, Android9 OS update, security patchlevel February 5th, 2020

When I read this, I get the feeling that they have a little weird priorities. They fix unnecessary stuff like G00gle Pay (where you have obviously good and even privacy respecting alternatives) but rolling out critical system updates is not on top of their list. Here in Germany Vodafone is afaik the 2nd largest provider, so I assume that quite a few people are affected by that. I thought the awareness regarding IT security risks has increased meanwhile, maybe I was wrong.

I also wrote to their support and I suggest everyone who is affected to do the same. Maybe it moves on top of their list then.

I did the same disabled Vodafone and turned on 3 network, update downloaded

1 Like

How should I start this update? Updater says ‘Device not supported’

Did you by chance restore a backup of Apps from your Fairphone 2 or somehow else install the same Apps in another way?

The Fairphone 2 Updater App doesn’t work on the Fairphone 3.
On the Fairphone 3 you simply go to Settings - System - Advanced - System update and hope it will offer you the update (until now updates were delivered via staged rollouts, so not everybody got updates immediately … and there are reports of trouble with certain mobile network providers, Orange in France and Vodafone as of now).

Excuse the sarcasm but: Yeah, right. Fixing Google Pay or, more importantly, the underlying cause of failing SafetyNet tests is absolutely unnecessary.

Fortunately, you don’t get to make such operative decisions.

2 Likes

You appear to be an Android expert. Small hint: I am not, I am seeing it from the user perspective. And since I am using as less invasive G00gle technology as possible, I am obviously also not investigating potential root causes of issues with “features” like G00gle Pay. So if the root cause is security related, and the risk is higher than e.g. the still open critical Bluetooth vulnerability on our unpatched smartphones, then you’re of course right.

Hey guys,
I installed the new update, but then in the launcher the reaserch bar changed from duckduckgo to google. I can not find any way to change ist back. Do you have any ideas what to do?

Am not sure I’m understanding the concern correctly. Are you saying it’s more important that they fix the update issue than pushing out other security updates? The latest release bumps security to Feb.

The forum isn’t an official channel into Fairphone but the community have come up with a couple of workarounds to keep the updates going. In the same way that I encouraged everyone with the issue with Google pay report your issue to Fairphone the more people that report the issue the greater the priority it will take. The cold hard reality is that most tech enlightened people will know that there is an issue, but those that aren’t tech savvy won’t and won’t be reporting the issue, so Fairphone won’t have a good handle on how underreported the issue is.

Just for clarity, Google pay not working was the tip of the iceberg. There was an underlying issue which meant the Google themselves had deemed the device as insecure. That has been fixed and for the vast amount of Fairphone users that is good news as they rely on Google services, and the knock on it has on other apps like Netflix etc.

Hope that helps

3 Likes

Well the one thing kinda depends on the other for Vodafone/Orange user it seems. At least if you want to use the automatic update mechanism which makes sense for most people. My phone is patch level December and tells me continuously everything is up-to-date which is obviously wrong.

Yes, thanks for explaining. :+1:

No, I am by far not. I just so happened to know more about the issue at hand (which Chris_R was so kind to explain further) because I was affected by it.

Sorry, if I came across as rude. That was certainly not my intention.

2 Likes

No worries. I am aware that my G00gle aversion might also feel a little rude to others sometimes. :grin:

Thanks Elk
You’re quite right. I uninstalled the inherited Updater and did as you suggested. It seems to be installing.

Friedliche Grüße / Hearty greetings
Viktor Steiner

1 Like

I’m also a Vodafone victim. I have a second SIM (Xs4all / KPN) but it isn’t a nano SIM, its a micro SIM. So I had to order a new SIM (for 5 EUR) just to get updates for my OS. Oh well.

As for Google Pay, from a physical security standpoint this allows people to use less cash which is good to combat COVID-19.

1 Like

Everybody having update trouble by not receiving this/various updates: remove your sim and update the phone without any mobile provider at all via wifi only, no sims in use/inserted. bare phone updates always work. always worked, at least for me.

1 Like

my FP3 (bought from memolife.de independently from Vodafone!) was stuck on version A.0105
for me removing Vodafone SIM (and using WLAN only) was not enough, a had to insert another SIM (o2/fonic) and only then I got A.0111 advertised.
I hope I won’t need to do this every month …

2 Likes

This definitely does not work. Just tried it. Unfortunately I don’t have a second sim…

1 Like

I’m with hollandsnieuwe (privately) and Vodafone NL (professionally), i.e. 2 SIMs. Both use the Dutch Vodafone network. Tried both suggested options:

1. remove both SIMs

2. insert a single KPN SIM (I even tried both SIM slots)

Unfortunately, I was not offered the update, I’m still on A.0110.

1 Like

I’m trying the ADB option. It doesn’t see my phone when I connect it with usb. On the manuel there is no explanation witch option you should put my phone on (ptp, midi, usb-tethering, filetransfer) etc. I’m using macos. Does anyone has an answer on this?

Found out that you have to put usb debugging on. And that you have to tab you device build-number for a number of times to get devellopper options.

And then?
I get: “Fairphone/FP3/FP3:9/8901.2.A.0110.20200109/01092024:user/release-keys”.
adb is working, only I don’t have an image for the A.0110 version to update from. Can anyone provide this one?