FP2 Won't turn on or charge - See first post for troubleshooting

Hi, I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues. In any case I’ll make sure to get back to you today, so we can find a solution for this problem.

1 Like

Just had this problem myself - went to this thread in response to it - after I’d opened up my FP2, detached the screen and made a small adjustment to the battery. Surmising that this action was what was causing it not to turn on (and the red indicator light showing despite it being at 50% battery before I opened it up), I opened it up again, removed the battery and then the screen - with a little more difficulty than before - put it back together again and turned on the phone with no problem.

Thought I would make a note of that here - sometimes it may just be that you’ve not put the phone back together properly. Be careful in replacing your battery/screen!


I am having these problems too, have tried every single tip on here with no success. Did anybody have theirs fixed when it was sent in? (if you’ve ended up sending it in)

After one month of use my fairphone 2 didn’t charge anymore. I went to every single tip mentioned above, but no luck :frowning:

I have no choice but to send my phone back for repair(s)/replacement, I have submitted a ticket to support but they don’t seem to be quick in their response, so I’m still waiting for that.

I am getting really upset, after trying all the tipps and not succeeding I sent a request to the support team almost a month ago, and no reply. If I try to call the hotline I do not get any reply after hanging on for more then 10 minutes, and then they turn the call of. I’ve been phoneless for more than a month now, using an old two-colored Nokia. This cannot be tolerated. Although I believe in the cause and support their efforts I am starting to lose hope in this company.
Any advice, what can I do now? or how long do I have to wait?

The fact that you didn’t get a reply yet on your support request unfortunately doesn’t surprise me very much as they are really swamped, but usually they answer phone calls quickly.
To really speed up the process you can post your support request number in this topic.

1 Like

Thank you! I did it, hope it will speed up the process a little bit.

I’ve had my Fairphone for about 4 months with minor hiccups, but still generally a fan! Newest hiccup: I plugged in my phone last night to charge, and when I woke up this morning, it was completely dead. It wouldnt turn on, and even when I plugged it in, no lights came on and nothing happened, no charging screen. I first tired a few different cables (all of which had worked before) with no luck. But, I found a solution!

I pulled the battery and plugged the phone in without the battery. It turned on and started looping the Fairphone start screen turning on and off. Then, in one of the on cycles, I put the battery back in and it continued to boot as per normal. I got a message saying ‘optimising apps’ before it proceeded to the normal home screen. The battery indicator shows 98% so I don’t think it was a battery problem. All is working peachy now!

1 Like

I’m having the same issues as mentioned here. Is there anyone in Boston with a healthy battery that’s willing to help me check whether my problem is with the phone or the battery somehow? Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve tried that as well - no battery with recharger on. It will probably reboot indefinitely if I let it… it reboots right after the initial boot screen with Fairphone on it. Putting the battery back on goes briefly into the screen where it shows the battery recharging but then it goes off again and the red light blinks.

1 Like

My advice is to keep trying that. @Kate_Bottriell apparently found the same solution as the one I mentioned above and you guys have the same symptoms as my mom’s fp2 showed. Maybe it’s a matter of timing. I would try to find out more specifically, but as I fixed the issue, I obviously can’t :stuck_out_tongue:
Just try a little more and vary the timing for putting the battery in…
Good luck,


My Fairphone 2 arrived 20th May. It will not switch on at all. I tried charging with numerous different cables, trying with and without SIM, reinserting the battery, holding the battery in place, pressing the on button without the case… The only response is that a red LED comes on when I plug in to charge. I sent a request to zendesk on 22nd May and I have not yet received any reply at all. I don’t know what to do, I can’t call Fairphone as my network will not allow the number. I have done my best to be patient but my old phone is broken and I am really struggling now after almost 3 weeks with no response at all! Apologies if this is off-topic, I just don’t know what else to do but post here…

Please post your request number in the following topic. You’ll usually get a response within a day.

Possible solution: leave your phone off for a day or two or more… just let it go. Stop trying different tricks. In theory the battery will be absolutely drained. Put the charger back on. It might come back to life. It will go through the optimising apps screen (mine had 152)

I pretty much gave up on trying different things. Filled out a support request. Ping in social media (and here) asking for extra battery to test in my area. No one turned up. Figured I’ll put this whole thing aside and give time for support to get back to me (usually they take forever :wink: and it is usually me pinging them again about it). Decided to give it a try for the heck of it. Left the charger on. Left the house. Back in a couple of hours. The green light was on, so I turned it on.

I haven’t done any extensive tests i.e., I don’t know how long the battery will last. I’ll report back if anything unusual. I literally just have this phone come back from the dead so decided to share with everyone. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, this didn’t work, but something else worked: FP2 Won’t turn on or charge - See first post for troubleshooting

Argh… not recharging again. It went on for almost a day then when I tried to recharge again, it wouldn’t recognize it.

Repeated the same process as earlier: FP2 Won't turn on or charge - See first post for troubleshooting i.e., let the battery completely drain (off for 2 days). Plug back in. It recharged completely. I unplugged the usb/micro cable, plug it back in, it does not recharge!

What could be at the root of this problem?

Oh, this is just getting more interesting by the second. The screen went to sleep (or at least seemed like it). I couldn’t turn it back on… so it rebooted. I got this:

Android system recovery (3e)

Volume up/down to move highlight:
enter button to select

reboot system now
apply update from ADB
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
reboot to bootloader
power down
view recovery logs
apply update from sdcard

E:Can't open /dev/block/platform/msm_sdoc.1/by-name/misc (Permission denied)

Briefly looking this up… There is a related thread here: [HOWTO] ✏ Compiling Fairphone Open OS / Rooting . I didn’t change the factory settings. Only did out of the box FP2 OS updates.

did the trick. it booted eventually back in. Still not recharging. My laptop is not detecting it either.

I was able to recharge by first turning off the phone. After full charge. I turned it on. Plugged it back in… it recharges and my laptop picks it up as well. unplugged and plugged again a few times… it seems to work. For now…