FP2: Sync Issue with MS Exchange (contacts)

My Exchange account on FP2 in general works: mails, calendar and contacts sync fine. But entering or changing a birthday entry in the Android contacts app prevents syncing contacts with Exchange any more. Syncing works again if the birthday entry is dropped in FP2. If birthday entries are entered or changed in my Office Outlook or Outlook Web Access, these changes are successfully synced with my FP2.

Searching the web gives a highly interesting result (androidcentral ). In short, an internal format mismatch of the Androids date is most likely the reason my Exchange 2013 server rejects this sync request.

I created Exchange server-side logs and found the following error message in the sync-log:

SyncCommand_ConvertRequestsAndApply_Change_AcceptClientChange_Exception :
Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.AirSyncPermanentException
bei Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.SchemaConverter.AirSync.AirSyncUtcDateTimeProperty.get_DateTime()
bei Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.SchemaConverter.XSO.XsoUtcDateTimeProperty.InternalCopyFromModified(IProperty srcProperty)
bei Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.SchemaConverter.XSO.XsoDataObject.CopyFrom(IProperty srcRootProperty)
bei Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.SyncCollection.ConvertClientToServerObjectAndSave(SyncCommandItem syncCommandItem, UInt32& maxWindowSize, Boolean& mergeToClient)
bei Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.SyncCommand.ConvertRequestsAndApply(SyncCollection collection)

InvalidDateTimeInAirSyncUtcDateTime

Can this problem be added to the FP2 buglist? Is there a chance for a fix due to the fact that the bug is located in the Androids Exchange Active Sync (EAS) interface?

1 Like

I can partly confirm this:
A birthday added in the Contacts app is not getting synced and also prevents other changes made to this contact in the Contacts app from getting synced. However, changes made to this “damaged” contact in OWA are getting synced and overwrite the changes made in the Contacts app.
And the “damaged” contact does not prevent other contacts from syncing: Newly created contacts (in either the Contacts app or OWA) are still getting synced. (Tested this with Exchange 2016.)

Annoying, but since this seems to be an Android issue I don’t think there is anything Fairphone can do about it.

Good to know not to add Birthdays in the Contacts app. Thanks!

Hi ChuckMorris,

yes, you are right. I made this experience too. Even if this is an Android issue, Fairphone can perhaps report this to the Android developer platform. I don’t know where else to report this error.

Android bugs can be reported directly to Google:
http://source.android.com/source/report-bugs.html

However they are not known to be very responsive…