FP2: speech quality: peer callers often do not understand me properly

Same problem here. Just to add that to my ever growing list of distressing issues of my FP2… sigh

I’m having the same problems … weird noise … but not always.
I’m now on 1.5.1… same problems from time to time.

Same problem with my phone, very annoying when using this phone for work related calls…

Just send a note to the support area: they sent me a new module in 3 days. It is really easy to install since the phone is modular and You have to follow the video tutorial. :wink:

ME TOO
Sorry about the all caps but it’s very frustrating when I love this phone so much but people can’t hear me! I tried a recording just now to check if its the module but I sound clear on the recording. I’m going to keep reading hope someone found a solution?

From the support Article:

If, on the other hand, there is at least one action that you cannot validate [phone-call, voip-call, sound recording], it means that:

• There is an issue with either your provider network or your SIM card, please ask them to replace it
  • There is an issue with your Internet connection, please make sure to try again with another connection (Wi-Fi)
  • Talk loudly to your phone and make sure not to cover the bottom part of it.

Thanks - and yes I had already checked that article, and that check list. Nothing helps. I can make a clear sound recording. But I also put in a new sim card last week. So it cancels out those causes, but I still have many callers telling me they actually cannot hear me.

Because it’s hard to pinpoint the cause, I haven’t done anything about this, but of course it’s actually unacceptable.

I don’t know what else to do to fix it.

I’m afraid all I can think of is buying a new cheaper nonfairtrade phone to make calls with. how wrong is that?!

It could still be a provider network issue, or they could have a whole batch of SIM cards that don’t work well (with the FP2).

…I can hardly keep trying out new sim cards forever…??
As I wrote, I can’t see any solution except a different phone. Surely that can’t be right though? How can I recommend a fairphone if it doesn’t work well? My friends who cannot hear me on the phone are already anything but impressed by my ‘idealistic’ phone.

Various other posters in this thread also mention that the problem is intermittent. Is this a ‘bug’ will a new update maybe fix it?

Thank you,

Elise

I don’t think so.

2 more things you could try:

• Use the sound recorder again but hold the phone to your ear and speak like you were calling someone while recording. Is the sound quality still good? Than it can only be a provider issue.
  • Try a friend’s or family member’s SIM from a different provider.

ok thanks I’ll try those things!

just as a latest update; since last week it got worse and my microphone (while calling) often doesn’t work altogether, the caller can’t hear me until I turn on speaker phone. I couldn’t make an audio recording any more. I made a support ticket and am receiving a new bottom module, so I look forward to it functioning properly as a phone again! (And being able to wholeheartedly recommend it f o my friends :slight_smile:

thanks for the feedback I received meanwhile,

Elise

1 Like

I’m glad to find this thread as I have exactly the same problems.
Did you find a solution to the bad sound on calls? People say it is crackly and sound alike I am a long way from the phone. It has got too bad to people to call any more - even though I can hear perfectly.
Is it the microphone? I was going to order a replacement bottom module…but they are out of stock! Any ideas?!

I am going to get a new battery as it only lasts a few hours and I notice that the heat at the top of the phone is worse as the battery dies.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t really track the speech quality problem down. (At the moment I am often in a place where the network connection itself is not that good and I am not able to definitely identify a speech quality problem as being FP2 or connection related.)
I still believe that using a Bluetooth headset helps though - but then again it’s hard to debug for me.
Also, I’ve been using a new FP2 since a week ago only - still don’t know all of its character yet. :slight_smile:

Battery-wise there are several topics in the forum - a quick drain off battery can be related to various causes - concerning the heat I’d guess it could be rather an issue of your phone being pretty busy and thus consuming much energy (CPU intensive app? lots of network traffic?..)

Hello everybody.

I do have the same problem, people calling me don’t understand me, they hear something, though communication is not possible.
It is better when i turn the speaker on, but i don’t really want my surrounding to know what i am talking about.

However, it seems this problem comes and goes, right now it works again, in this thread it sounds like usually the problem continues permanently after showing up…

That is certainly not normal.
Either do the Troubleshooter, or call support directly (number is given on the linked page, too).

I had two similar issues. Though not totally the same as described here, it might be a start of a collection of possible problems in this scenario:

• For one, the microphone in the bottom module could be damaged; for me, it stopped working altogether at one point. To debug problems with the microphone module, the soundrecorder is a good starting point, as already mentioned. Also, if call quality is fine while working over the “louder” speaker (which uses a different microphone), this is a good indicator that there is indeed something wrong with the microphone in the bottom module; in that case, I would recommend to contact support.

• If the call quality is only sometimes bad: I seem to have a reception problem, but a one-directional one: The symptom is that when I’m in such medium to low reception areas, while I am on a call, I can hear people just fine, but they can’t hear me (or only very intermittently). See also a more detailed description here: Bad outgoing signal / call partners don’t hear me or only interruptedly . I have no solution for this yet; the only thing that helps is to go to some place with better reception.

Hi,

I’m recently experiencing similar problems to the once stated here. My microphone is not completely broken (I can hear myself in the trouble-shooting part) but the volume of the speech is just quite low. As it is also accuring in the trouble-shooting I doubt it is related to network-connectivity?

Anyway, I tried to find a ‘secret’ code for android to change the volume of the speech recording but I cannot find any such thing…

At this point I have no clue whether is it software related (somehow the volume changed?) or hardware related… I have had my fp for just over 2 years and only since two weeks this issue has arisen.

Any help/someone with similar issues? I don’t really want to order a new bottom part if there’s a solution to this problem :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.