FP2 Screen can't be reactivated during/after calls - See first post for Workarounds

Thanx, Johannes
from Germany

Hi Nico - You’re not alone! My screen blanks as soon as I start a call. Hugely entertaining when my on line bank tells me to “please enter your account number followed by hash…” and I can’t see the screen! Likewise, I also rip out the battery to end the call. Now I’m off to find a solution, cos I can’t use my FP2 for on line banking which is a pain. Perhaps my bank is right… try a call, fail, then ‘follow by hash’… and relax… Whatever.

This problem has been dealt with quite a while ago, see

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/proximity-sensor-tool-or-how-to-fix-the-proximity-sensor-issues/21411?source_topic_id=11874

It worked! It worked! :grinning: (I can’t find the Tick to say its sorted) Thanks, Johannes.

love you guys!!! love you guys!!! LOVE you guys!

Continues here:

I have this problem during a call, which means I can’t enter numeric options on automated switchboards. This means my phone is basically useless 90% of the time! How can I fix this?!

Could be an issue with the proximity sensor.

Are you on version 17.06.4? Fairphone OS or Open OS?

Hi Gerry, I’m on 17.06.04.

Reopening this topic, as the proximity sensor tool is fixed again. (With apologies to the previous three posters for moving the posts to the wrong topic initially).

Still …

I already miss the good old days, when the version numbers of Fairphone OS and Fairphone Open OS were different :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ivar, did you ever get this resolvef? I have same isssue. Once i start a call, screen goes black. I can talk, but i cant end call. I have to remove battery.

Hi,
When I make a phone call, the screen goes immediately black and the only action possible is to hang up with the button near the camera. So when I’m asked by an answering machine to dial 1 for this, 2 for that, etc, I just can’t do it! That is highly frustrating!
Any suggestion on how to keep my screen active during a phone call?

As quite some posts have been moved here recently, here’s a summary of the current state of things:

• Most of the problems with screens staying black as soon as you start a call are related to either issues with the configuration of the proximity sensor, or dirt in front of the sensor (or both).
  • In regular Fairphone OS, there is a tool to reconfigure the sensor. Official Instructions can be found via the troubleshooting tool (calls > my displays stays black during or after a call).
  • The tool for Fairphone open OS appears to be temporarily missing in action.
2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I have a serious and annoyng problem with my FP2: when I call someone, the screen turns all black and I can’t end the call, or do whatever I want (also, I cannot switch off the device). The only thing I can do is to remove the battery and turn it on.

It happens all the times. Plus, I cannot connect the FP2 to my PC, I just fixed the Bottom Schedule and I thought I will solve the problem… No, it still doesn’t work.

What can I do?

Hi @Giulia8,

check the post above yours by @Johannes, your problem sounds like a issue with the proximity sensor calibration data.

Regarding your other problem:[quote=“Giulia8, post:419, topic:11874”]
Plus, I cannot connect the FP2 to my PC, I just fixed the Bottom Schedule and I thought I will solve the problem… No, it still doesn’t work.
[/quote]
Could you elaborate a bit more, what exactly the issue is? What OS is running on your PC? Does the PC recognize any device at all? I assume you’re trying to connect by USB, right?

Good questions. Without knowing the answer to them I can only add that the most common connection issue reported on the forum (example topic) is actually a change in the default connection mode in Android 6. You need to set the connection mode to MTP on the phone explicitly - it is no longer stored as default.

If the problem is more complicated, we should start a new topic as this is a bit off-topic in this screen-issues topic.

Hi! I tried with two PC, my own is a Windows 10 software (I tought you had asked me this! :)) and one at my office, Windows XP. The Device does not work in both situations: of course, I use USB to connect the FP2 to the PC

Just to clarify:

• You connect your phone to your PC via USB.
  • Then on your phone you can see a notification about your phone charging via USB and to tap on this notification to change the connection mode (perhaps you have to swipe down from the top to see it).
  • You tap there and change the connection mode to MTP.
  • And then your computer still doesn’t show the phone as it should do.

In that case you could try the following at least with Windows 10, I don’t know about Windows XP nowadays …

Do you know any app that does this?