FP2 Screen can't be reactivated during/after calls - See first post for Workarounds

Just for info:;
I got this problem and before to recalibrate the sensor, I followed the official topic
First try to clean the sensor from dirt ! It can be deceptive, so clean it to the full :stuck_out_tongue:
It worked for me after hard try cleaning.
The app Sensors was really help full :slight_smile:
Good luck if you see this !
Kiss kiss

I have now done a few calls since I calibrated the sensor and it is much better! While it will still occasionally not turn off the screen when I put my ear to the phone, it works most of the time. I would however prefer if the sensor was disabled all together and something like the functionality of Call Screen Lock was default. Then you wouldn’t have to worry about putting the phone to your ear the right way or a certain distance.

Hi ! :slight_smile:
Whenever I receive a call or call someone, my screen just stay locked whatever the position of the phone is. I pressed the lock button, tried to orientate my phone in some ways, but it just keeps on being locked. It’s annoying when I want to end a call or when I want to activate the speakers…

Did you already try to re-calibrate your proximity sensor? (see first post)

Hi, after calibrating the “black screen issue” has been resolved. Yeah!!
Now I have the problem that I (almost) can’t reach the letter “q” and the number “1” on the keyboard anymore. It almost always highlights the letter “w” / number “2”. I am pretty sure that it started after the calibration as I didn’t notice it before. Anyone else having this issue?

I don’t recall anyone mentioning that it occurs after the calibration, but it isn’t the first time someone’s mentioned parts of the screen not responding - there’s more here:

Unless I missed something, the TL;DR version is: sometimes re-assembling the screen (detaching and then reattaching the screen module, that is) solves the issue, in some cases the screen needs to be replaced (usually under warranty; contact Fairphone support for that).

2 Likes

Me too: I had to try the recalibration a few times because of too high or low block or unblock values, but after it succeeded I can confirm that the proximity sensor now works as expected. Except that the distance threshold is now more like two or three cm. But as long as I don’t hold the upper left corner of the phone too far away from my ear during a call I think I should be fine. Thank you to the FP dev team!

Thanks @Johannes - sounds exactly like what I experience now. Reassembling didn’t help - and as I am in Australia, I am not sure I want to be without my phone, calendar, reminders, etc. for several weeks :frowning:

One question in the context of this post: I recalibrated, but now the app doesn’t start anymore. I wanted to do it again to check if it could have anything to do with the new issue. When I type in the last star of the calibration app’s starter code from above, the dial input field goes blank and nothing happens. I also tried force stopping the app before running the code again. Nothing. Waited for several minutes. Any other way to start it?

A definitive one-line summary for those having issues:

• Fairphone OS 1.7.0 and Fairphone Open 16.09.0 features a proximity sensor calibration app accessible through Settings > Maintenance > Proximity sensor.

Have a look at this other thread to read more about the calibration app:

14 Likes

Thanks! Works like a charm :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems like the calibration tool included in 1.6.2. fixes the issue, I did a couple of tests (normal and VOIP calls) and the screen goes dark when putting the phone next to the ear and it reactivates when moving the phone away from it.

Thanks for that!

3 Likes

Yes, recalibrating the proximity sensor solved the problem for me. I start getting back trust in the FP project. If now the unwanted reboots will be solved soon, I am a FP2-Fan again :slight_smile:

1 Like

same, calibration helped solving the problem.
the only annoying bug left, since I upgraded to 1.4 is the ‘wait 5 seconds. bug’. Hope this can be helped soon as well!

Great, calibration of the sensor also helped me solving the (very annoying) problem. :slight_smile:

Hello
I have a FP2 and have had a similar problem almost since I got it 5 months ago: when I make or receive a call, the screen goes black and there is no way I can unlock it. This translates into the call going on until the other person hangs off, but if I get the voicemail for instance, I need to REMOVE THE BATTERY as only way to finish the call. Because the screen is locked I can’t activate the loudspeaker during the call or just use the keypad for selecting options.
Same with WhatsApp calls and audio messages.
It’s really frustrating not to be able to use a phone as an actual phone.
I’d appreciate some light on this.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I moved your post here since you have an FP2. Please check out the following post for a solution:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/google-play-update-proximity-sensor-tool-or-how-to-fix-the-proximity-sensor-issues/21411?u=paulakreuzer&source_topic_id=11874
1 Like

This issue has been the bane of my life for a month or so… so many unprofessional work calls, unable to access my calendar on my phone to make an appointment while I’m on the phone, lots of fumbling around to take the battery out at the end, talking to myself on voicemail messages about how frustrating it is… but I just tried the proximity sensor calibration and it seems to have worked on a test call I just did. So, fingers crossed!

3 Likes

About the touchscreen bug - I find taking the screen off and cleaning the connections with alcohol (e.g. alcohol hand wash) every so often helps. But could just be my problem: which is that the screen sometimes won’t turn on when I take it away from my ear during a call.

You may also benefit from recalibrating the proximity sensor. See this topic for instructions:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/google-play-update-proximity-sensor-tool-or-how-to-fix-the-proximity-sensor-issues/21411?u=johannes

Wanted software solution that would just easily solve all of this:
Have the power button to always wake up the screen, regardless of the proximity sensor.

It it any drawback?

Thanks you very much !

1 Like