With several different operating systems, my FairPhone2 shows rotated (preview) / flipped (captured) images by the “selfie” camera when used with the Camera2-API.
Apps which show the issue include
- SimpleCamera (by simplemobiletools),
- CameraXBasic sample app (Google), and
- Threema (using the built-in camera support).
OS versions include:
- stock FPOS (gms) 19.11.2
- FPOS (gms) 20.12.0 beta
- /e/ OS 0.13
- /e/ OS 0.15
The following is a detailed description of the problem. Does this sound familiar to you? Does anyone have suggestions for further analysis?
This bug report can also be found in Issue #177561470 of the Google Issue Tracker. However as nobody there seems to have a FP2, the work on the issue has stalled…
Issue observed with the CameraXBasic sample app as well as other apps (e.g. Threema) which use the CameraX library from androidx/Jetpack.
The preview of the front (“selfie”) camera appears rotated by 180deg (in addition to the expected mirroring). Altering the orientation of the phone between portrait and landscape has the expected impact, but the preview is always the mirrored image rotated by 180deg:
If the front camera is pointed at a sheet of paper with an upper case letter F, the preview image is as follows:
* * ** * ****
i.e. the vertical stroke is at the left, and the top horizontal stroke is at the bottom.
The preview of the rear camera is working as expected. Also, images actually taken with the front camera do not show the rotation by 180deg; however, they still appear mirrored (flipped at a vertical axis) which might or might not be considered a bug, too.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
- Open the CameraXBasic sample app
- Switch to front (“selfie”) camera
- See the preview image rotated by 180deg
- Rotate the phone around the line of sight (the sample app will switch to the rear camera, so switch back to the front camera after rotating the phone)
- Watch the preview rotate accordingly but still keep the erroneous overall 180deg rotation
The preview of the front camera is always rotated by 180deg in addition to mirroring
The preview should be just like a mirror.