FP2 receiving 4G, but no 4G contract?!

Hey :smile:
When I started my FP2 for the first time yesterday, it connected to the 4G network although I donā€™t even have a contract including 4G. Whatā€™s happening here? :smiley:

My sister receives 4G on her Nexus, although she doesnā€™t have LTE (Itā€™s a Congstar-Prepaid tariff). I think your carrier does activate this, but reduces your bandwith to HSDPA or something.
So, just be happy :smile:

3 Likes

Or maybe your carrier is giving everyone 4G as itā€™s easiest to treat everyone the same but only charging people who volunteer to pay for it!!! Whoā€™s your carrier?

Does it seem to be working at 4G speeds?

I donā€™t know what 4G feels like, but websites are loaded way faster than with the sgs 3 mini.

EDIT: By the way, my carrier is telekom.de

I also have 4G beeing with a company that doesnā€™t even offer it officially (Congstar). :slight_smile: Well, I knew that some people with older contracts had unofficial 4G, so already hoped that I would have it as wellā€¦ And YES!!! I donā€™t know if it works at full speed, but itā€™s much faster then the HDSPA I had on my FP1 and almost as fast as my wifi.

My experience exactly. 4g a little slower than home wifi on a (supposedly) 200Mb/s broadband. On wifi my fp2 is no slower than my nexus 7 tab. Tho I didnā€™t actually race them ā€¦ :wink:

Sounds like huskers doesnā€™t actually get 4g ā€¦ Or the 4g is not too good. In England we only get decent 4g in cities

Just some information about (higher?) power consumption, if 4G is usedā€¦make your own summary aboutā€¦e.g. here and hereā€¦

1 Like

Thanks a lot for that!

I didā€™t expect to get 4G either, but the fairphone shows 4G (I would remember if Iā€™d pay extra for an 4G-LTE contract)
I did a speedtest, but actually donā€™t know the specs of the networks
23kbit/s down 3,3 kbit/s up

Edit: carrier Mobilcom debitel (Eplus (+O2))

So in your case, the bandwidth isnā€™t higher as HSPA (as I said, they are not giving you the full LTE speed).
4G ā€œfeelsā€ faster, because of the significantly reduced latency (here is a comparison, itā€™s German but youā€™ll understand everything ;))

1 Like

I did a test with netzclub O2 but it was only 3G

and a test with vodafone 5GB 3G contract (there was an option for the same cost 3GB 4G which I did not choose)
despite paying only for 3G I had a 4G connection but limited to 7kbit/s 3G HSDPA speed in mean. with peaks in speed over the 7kbit/s. you could clearly see in the graph, that the connection was capable of going faster, but was limited.
all in all Iā€™m happy, to have 4G connection even if I donā€™t have the speed. Because Iā€™m hoping of having a better signal (netzabdeckung)