FP2 Printed Cases : 3D models

Isn’t it possible to release the model? If it was designed in blender or something, you should be able to export it to stl.

1 Like

I printed this one in yellow, just received it by post, the camara switch doesnot work, i wil have to fix that, do some whittling, and you keep some gap width on the front between the two parts.

Sad to hear that. I have to admit, also on my prints the camera switch (as well as the on/off switch) isn’t positioned perfectly - but I always got it to work so I didn’t bother changing something. I gotta move it to a better position sometime. Thanks for the feedback.

The gap should be minimal to non existend so I guess something else might be wrong.

Would you mind sharing a picture of the case? How was it printed (FDM, SLA, …) and what kind of material was used? You’ve written, you received it per post - so you didn’t print it yourself? I hope you haven’t spent too much money on it.

I’ve updated the design again:

The camera-button should work better now and some minor details have changed as well. And I now have two versions available: blank and with some sort of a logo (both made with laywood-flex; finally got this material to print with good-enough layer adhesion).

Is it actually legal to publish a design with the original fairphone-logo on the backside of the cover?

8 Likes

Great work! Great Progress!
Maybe could be interesting to bring these two projects together: selfmade cover with integrated wireless charger from here Upgrade FP2 with QI wireless charging through expansion port

Did anyone ever tried to use the slim case front part and print a fitting back part? Could it be possible or is the front part too filigrane?

@ungutknut: I think that the Fairphone logo is bound by this:

All Web Content of the Website is licensed under Creative Commons License Attribution- Non Commercial 4.0 International (CC-BY-NC.SA 4.0), unless stated otherwise. For more information on the license, please visit CC BY-NC 4.0 Deed | Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International | Creative Commons.

Source

Your appearence on Thingieverse is not commercial (unlike Shapeways), is that correct? In this case there shouldn’t be a problem to use the Fairphone logo.

You could of course always use the old logo, or the avatar:

https://forum.fairphone.com/user_avatar/forum.fairphone.com/vervoon/240/8095_1.png

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll make one with a FP-logo then. Maybe. Actually I think both (old and new) logos look pretty boring/unambitios but perhaps it’s better than nothing at all.

1 Like

Maybe you like one of the FP1 designs: https://www.thingiverse.com/Fairphone/designs

Oh, you’re right - some of them are really nice.

2 Likes

Hey,
it’s nice that you uploaded a free design for everyone to print.
I asked a friend of mine who owns a 3D-printer if he could print this.
He told me that it needs to be printed while standing upright and that he doesn’t know how to do that without having it possibly falling over during the process. Any tips on that?

Cheers

1 Like

There are no special measures needed to print it in the recommended position. It won’t fall over if your friend’s printer is calibrated right and has no 1st layer adhesion problems.

However, using a so-called brim (~5 lines) should totally eliminate the risk of falling over. But he should definitely use a soft material to prevent destroying the phone and some part-cooler for the last few layers (where the hook starts). But I think these things are pretty intuitive if he knows how to use his printer.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Fairphone 2 3D printed casings available:

I think that this would fit nicely with @jayy’s developments here:

Maybe @ungutknut or @duke1102 feel in the mood of adapting their covers to fit the qi charger. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heh. Sure, could totally be possible.
Will nudge my colleague tomorrow to print me the first test of the 3D case I base it on, to check it out and make manual Dremel action adjustments to it, before designing and printing a modified version.

5 Likes

@ungutknut can the 3d-files for the one-part-case you made be downloaded ?
I’m working on a small project in which I add backbuttons to my phone and I habe to make a custom case for this…

I removed the one-part file because it’s wrong in so many details and just causes confusion. But I made you a one-part version, based on the current model:
http://unwohlpol.at/owalona/cova115_zamm.stl

Unfortunately I don’t think it’ll be possible to get the mobile somehow into the cover. But if printed in a very soft TPU/TPE and with plenty of support maybe you’re lucky.

1 Like

@ungutknut okey blender is some kind of hard for me :smiley: I try to import your two-part-designe into fusion 360 but it`s kind of hard to get this done …

I want to integrate this PCB to the back of the phone …

1 Like

Just a short experience from me:

Told a colleague to print the 3D casing available at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1806407 for me.
He printed it with PLA and I can now definitly say to NOT use PLA for the case, it was nearly impossible to attach it to the phone, even with it being in 2 parts. Also, not sure if the printer was the fault or the model, but the case was a bit too small in length.

If you decide to use this 3D model yourself I recommend to print it in a more flexible material, like TPU/TPE or Nylon.

I’ll definitly look more into 3D printed cases soon, I quite like the way the Slim Case is built and I think could be recreated for 3D printing. But well, I still don’t have my own 3D printer, which sucks.

4 Likes

I allready have a spool TPU at home !! :slight_smile:
In the github-page of keesj I have found an FreeCad-file of a case, which I imported into Fusion 360 :slight_smile: I`m adding the holes/mountings for the physical buttons … Any idea what method would be the best for the buttons ?

I’d assume the buttons are best made as individual components as well, guess that PLA/ABS is most suited here. For stability you could try to incorporate some sort of mounting mechanism around the button holes.

Then again I don’t really have any experience in that regard, but taking a look at maybe other 3D printable cases for several other phones to maybe get an idea for a suitable design.

1 Like