FP2 not recognised by Win10 for backup/OS installation after faulty update

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks very much for the kind support in this forum, and apologies if I have missed the solution(s) to this.

After trying to update my FP2 OS through the Fairphone Updater, my phone now will not start - it keeps going to the TWRP, and the message I keep getting is “Unable to find path /system
Full SELinux support is present”. Trying reboot -> system does not work.

Consequently, I tried using the bootloader to back up my phone data to my desktop (Win 10 Home) or reinstall the OS. I get into the ‘Fairphone/blue flashing light’ mode fine; however, Windows does not recognise my phone - it shows up with a yellow triangle in the device manager, but not at all in File Explorer.

I have tried:

1. downloading all the latest Windows update packages (up-to-date now; no change)
  2. downloading Samsung and universal ADB drivers as instructed here and Google USB drivers, but when I try installing them through device manager (my phone is not shown in that dialogue as an option, so I am choosing ‘USB controller’ as instructed here), Windows keeps telling me that they are not suitable/does not find suitable drivers.

In case that is relevant, my FP2 was on a recent OS update (ca. a few months ago) and is 4.5 years old (purchased in Oct 2016).

Does anyone have any ideas for what to do?

Thanks very much in advance,

Judith

1 Like

Hi.

First: There is no way to download files from the phone in bootloader mode. This mode only allows flashing or erasing partitions and such things. Try TWRP instead.

Second: If I’m interpreting the message from TWRP correctly, your “system” partition is damaged. You could try a manual re-installation: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/installing-the-fairphone-2-from-scratch-in-case-of-failure-komplette-neuinstallation-des-fairphone-2-im-fehlerfall/46728/2

1 Like

Not necessarily, depending on the TWRP version.
Fairphone for a while bundled a TWRP 3.1.1 with their OSes which gave this message without any important meaning or consequence.

An update getting stuck in TWRP was kind of notorious a while back and I guess one of the reasons why Fairphone have abandoned their own TWRP for the stock Android recovery bundled with their latest OS versions.
Anyway …

4 Likes

Thanks very much to you both for your thoughts, @thc and @AnotherElk , much appreciated!

I managed to do a backup in TWRP as thc suggested on an internal SD card.

I then tried, as Another Elk suggested, to re-install the update file through TWRP, and miraculously, that worked, and the phone is back up and running (I am doing a full back up as we speak/write). I guess that means the partition was not damaged, it was just that the update did not work smoothly the first time.

Thanks so much again!

All good wishes,

Judith

4 Likes

Just don’t use your SD-card as internal memory. Format it as external. Internal formatting can lead to data loss. There seems to be a bug, besides the general danger of a SD card failure. Just do a little searching in this forum. There is no easy solution, should you experience such an error. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.