FP2 makes Noises (when shaking)

because I heard these noises too, today I dissambled my Display and the two upper modules (front- and back camera), those alone were quiet, the clicking noise when moving the phone in any way seems to come from the mainboard unit.

Okay, very interesting. Could you also confirm that its not the vibration motor?
Any statement from the FP2-team about a possible loose part or other source of the clacking?

Can you also confirm, that it does not come from the two blue display clips having a small slit to move easily?
That would my guess WITHOUT removing my back-cover for this. But I can hear something.

I can confirm this for at least my clicking noise. When I fixate the display clips and the vibration motos, it still makes the noise. And if @einBernstein said that he disassembled the modules, it doesn’t seem to be the display clips on his phone either.

the blue clips are part of the display module, and it was - of course - removed to dissamble the modules. so, yes, the mysterious noise does not come from there.

and @JayGee I did not dissamble that module with the vibration motor, but I listened at different positions while shaking, and also fixated the vibration mass thing (sorry for bad english :smiley: :smiley: ) and I am pretty sure it comes from the mainboard.

In my mail to support I didn’t report the noise, just the missing auto focus - nevertheless I still have no answer.

1 Like

I asked support about the rattling noise and about a problem I’ve had a few times with ‘dropped calls’. The answer I got was:

“We are really sorry that you received a damaged or not fully functional
Fairphone. We read this forum thread and we would like to investigate
this issue. It seems to be due to a non well connected antenna of your
FP2. Probably the rattling sound you mentions.
We now start the replacement procedure and we will make sure that you receive a new Fairphone.
To return your Fairphone for a replacement, please follow the instructions below:”

The rattling noise is not due to the blue clips nor any of the modules. I asked the person at support to shake his/her FP2 and tell me whether it made a quiet but audible noise, but this request was ignored. I’m not convinced that it’s a loose antenna, and I am very relunctant to return the phone having waited 6 months to get it … Further communication led to support suggesting I take the phone to a repair place in Switzerland that works with Fairphone, but nothing was said about who should pay for a repair if that’s what’s needed.

Here’s somebody with the same problem.

I’ve ignored the rattling noise so far, but I became curious about this now: if this might be caused by a problem with the antenna, could it be related to the issue that people quite often do not understand me well (varying and dull speech quality - today I was asked if I had a bad network reception)?

(Not sure about dropped calls - think I experienced this once or twice - but it might also have been the display not being deactivated during the phone call and my face touching the hangup button…)

Thus, I disassembled the entire phone and removed all modules. The rattling noise definitely comes from the mainboard, most certainly somewhere below the large metal plate with the printed signs for “camera” and “headphones” modules on it.

BTW: anybody here who’s FP2 does not make any rattling sound when being shaken?

I hear a slight noise as well, but (besides the common bugs) never experienced any problem so far.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure everybody has the slight noise, caused by the vibration motor. One can easily check: If the noise stops when you take off the cover than it’s just the vibration motor hitting the cover.

1 Like

No! I have taken the phone apart completely and the noise is still there. Amers too. I asked support to tell me if their FP2s made the same noise but they don’t want to give me this information for some reason. If every phone makes the noise then I think we can assume that a badly connected antenna is not the problem. The noise in itself is not the problem - unless it explains the ‘dropped call’ problem that a few people have reported.

Every iPhone has this rattling noise, too!
It´s the adjustable lense of the camera.
so no prob…

1 Like

Jesus, have you read ANY of the posts?

And @paulakreuzer: I’m pretty sure most of the people already ruled out the vibration motor by fixating the flywheel.
I just got a reply from the support, saying it’s the display clips and I linked them to this thread again.

In my case it seems to stem from a small wheel visible through the fairphone case somewhat left of the battery close to the bottom. When shaking the phone it slowly turns around. So its definitely loose. I have no idea what is the purpose of this wheel. Anyhow, so far I did not notice any problems because of this rattling noise. I have my fairphone since 2 weeks.

If you mean the thing just above the speaker: That is the weight of the vibration motor.

I see. Thank you for this information.

Yes, I’ve noticed that too and wondered if it was normal…? Does anyone else have this rattle. It makes my phone feel cheap/sound broken. Is there a fix?

I think by reading this thread you will find some answers to your questions. :wink:

Morning, thanks for your reply - yes did read the thread before posting and know it is the vibration fly wheel. My question is whether this is normal and if so, as I find it irrritating, whether there is a fix. What is it used for - just vibration or also speaker function… If just vibration I wonder if I can take it apart or muffle the wheel somehow. Cheers