FP2: How to use the Dual SIM feature?

Hi Fabio,

I’ve been using two SIM cards at the same time for 4 months now. It’s very well possible, I don’t think it’s consuming too much energy (although I don’t have a comparison). In the settings, one can define which card should be used for calls and which one for data. I found it convenient to use the internet card in the first slot. Then it’s very easy to switch off mobile data, which was a little obscure to me when the internet card was in the other slot. I might however just have overseen something.

best
Eric

This is very well possible. This configuration is also used by me (SIM1 for calls/SMS, SIM2 for data). You can set one default SIM for each calls, SMS and data. Note that you can only have one 3G/4G SIM at the same time, the other must be on 2G.

I have used two SIM cards since beginning, so I can’t provide a comparison. But I didn’t notice an unusual high energy consumption of my FP2.

I have looked: I have a switch for SIM2 (which is used for data) in the pull-down menu.

(I nearly never turn mobile data off.)

But using the data SIM in the SIM1 slot is more convinient when you want to look for the data usage. Because the data usage monitor always starts with SIM1.

In regards to the topic “How to use the Dual SIM feature?”:

I thought it would be more flexible. I thought I could decide per app which SIM to use. But I can only decide per Data / Call / SMS.

Does anyone know of an app that could manage this? Like

• mail app1 uses SIM1
  • mail app2 uses SIM2
  • browser1 uses SIM1
  • browser2 uses SIM2

(of course I searched the internet already, but I didn’t find anything useful)

Best Regards

Why would you do that?
I guess that is not so easy, you only have a single mobile data connection at the same time. The phone than has to switch all the time. And what if there are two or more apps which want to use data connection at the same time but with different SIM cards? Who wins?
By the way, you always have to switch between 2G and 3G/4G in addition. FP2 can only provide 3G/4G for one SIM at the same time.
You would need at least a phone with two completely separated modems, which can handle two data connections. I’m not sure if such a phone exists.

1 Like

Why would I do that?

If I browse privately and then receive a company mail. Well that would not be that much bytes, so I don’t care. But if there is a larger attachment and I want to download - what would I do? Before downloading switching 4G on the SIMs first? That seems not very handy.

But I understand there are technical limitations. However if there was at least some quicker way to switch the 4G

Best Regards

OK, i didn’t think about that. My personal and my business contract have sufficient data plan :slight_smile:
You may support this feature request, the more the better :wink:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/feature-request-dual-sim-handling-network-type/16810

Fresh FP2 owner here, and I’m just trying to wrap my head around the dual SIM feature. I’ve searched the web and this forum for my question, but couldn’t find an exact answer, so I’ll post it here since this seem to be the “dual SIM help thread”.

Short question: Can I use the connection from SIM2’s data plan for Whatsapp on SIM1?

Longer question: When I’m travelling between two countries, I still want to use my “home” mobile number and its associated Whatsapp account, but of course not pay the roaming cost. Therefore I have a few SIM cards of those second countries that I travel to frequently. I usually kept an old phone to put the SIM card in, just buy the cheapest local data option, and create a WiFi hotspot. That way I could always use my Whatsapp as if I had data access in that country, even when no public WiFi is available. Now with the dual SIM feature I’m wondering how that works. I guess I can’t really create a hotspot with SIM2 and let the phone use that such that SIM1 could access it? Can the phone internally just “merge” all data and then re-distribute it wherever needed?

If not, I’m wondering if I need to make a second Whatsapp account for the second SIM… which would come with quite a few annoyances as well (especially for my friends).

You can use your Whatsapp account with any internet connection, so of course as well with the mobile data of SIM2.

2 Likes

Woah great! Thanks for the quick (and satisfying) answer. Finally no second phone anymore when travelling!

Hi,

i use the Dual SIM feature now for 2 months but I have very bad connection since I use two SIM Cards. Very often I have no connection, I can see it on the connectivity icons in the right uppercorner. Frequently I missed calls while my phone is right next to me, and it didn’t rang.
Anybody else have this problem? Anybody have a solution for this? I already contacted my provider (the same for both SIMS, and they have reset my network, but it doesn’t help I think)

Thank you for helping!!

Does anybody here know i nice widget app for meddling with the sim card preferences? Basically i have a private and a work sim in my FP2 and since the “ask every time” feature on outgoing calls does not work without bugs (error or even phone restart when i’m too hasty to wait for 5+ seconds after the popup), i’d like to just switch the prefered call sim with a simple swipe on the “desktop”. I do not want to disable either sim, just switch the preferred card for outgoing calls.

I believe you could use the preinstalled widget “settings shortcut”. I don’t have the option to link to the right settings, but I guess that comes with having two SIMs.
Other options would be GravityBox (needs root) or Power Toggles.

Hey!
Try Truecaller to make your calls (also has an interesting blacklist feature which is the first reason I use it) and Textra for SMS.
Both these apps enable easy switching from one SIM to the other.

1 Like

@tomgey ; I had a look at Truecaller as an app that I might use to select SIM before each call, but I am concerned about privacy with Truecaller. Someone called me from a number I did not have saved in my contact and Truecaller suggested their name (and it was right!).

I think it uploads contacts to the Truecaller server.

Any other apps that are good for selecting SIM before each call?

In my FP2, I have set (Settings/SIM/Calls/Ask Each Time) but the selection flashes up too quick for me to select it, and the phone just defaults to SIM 1.

A German speaking forum member found this one:

A test will be performed…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.