FP2: How to use the Dual SIM feature?

Look at the data usage monitor. Is there SIM1 still disabled?

Yes it is. But if I activate the data connections in general, the SIM 1 will be used. The settings shouldn’t change at all. Even if I think of reactivating SIM 2 before activating data connections, all the time I have to set these settings again. I think it is more practical if the settings doesn’t change just because one SIM is inactive.

1 Like

I don’t have my FP2 just yet, but I’m in the process of switching providers and was also considering a second, data-only SIM. Now after what I’ve been reading here and there on the forum I’m no longer sure if this is really worth the hassles.

So I understand that you can’t simply toggle mobile data on and off on either card, is that correct? I guess I’m so used to Power Toggles I’ve come to believe this is a standard Android feature–for a single SIM, anyway. So unless I want to drill through all the layers of the settings all the time, I’d basically have to perma-enable mobile data on one of the SIMs?

What happens when you turn on Wi-Fi at the same time? How does Android negotiate which data connection has priority? Pardon my ignorance. This seems like a pretty obvious question, but I never had to ask it because I never seem to have a data plan and working Wi-Fi at the same time to begin with. That will be an all new experience for me once I’ve successfully moved to another provider.

If you have Wi-Fi and a data plan enable at the same time, the Fairphone will use the Wi-Fi.

1 Like

If you only want to use data with one SIM, you can easily toggle it on and off via the notification bar. With Android 4 this was faster and easier, but it is still easy and fast.
You’ll only have to “drill through all the layers of the settings all the time” if you often have to switch your data SIM, for example, because you’re living in one country and working in another.

2 Likes

As Irina_Spitznagel said you can activated or deactivated the mobile data of the currently chosen data-sim quickly via the notification bar.

but what did work better on my ZTE-Blade-C jellybean dualsimphone was switching the data-sim via notification bar (which should be added via shortcut in notification bar or shortcut) and remembering settings like which simcard should be data-sim after reenabeling it or changing phsical simcards 3rd or 4th sim in pocket

I had another problem how to use two SIM cards, one for calls and SMS, the other for Internet. I chose the settings like Tofra wrote, but everytime I wanted to call somebody, the data-card was chosen for calls.

Now I found the same feature to chose the card for making calls in my telefone-App.In the upper field (Name/Number/search) there is a field one the right side which offers aigain “settings”, and there you can chose again “call settings” and afterwards “other Phone account settings”. Now you see "Make calls with"and you can make the same choice which you can make in the SIMcard-settings under "preferred SIM for (Card1, Card2 or ask first).

That now solved my problem

2 Likes

So that means, if I am in a 4G-only area with no 2G coverage, I have only one working SIM.

4G is backwards designed to be able to give 2G and 3G as well.
So if one SIM is having 2G and the other 3 or 4G, both SIMs will work.

But what if there’s no 2G network within reach? What if one day the companies decide to switch of their 2G networks?

1 Like

If there is 4G, then there is also 2G.
To answer your second question with another question: What if the provides switch off 3 and 4G as well?

Is this a technical condition in the 4G standards? Can with any 2G only device connect to any 4G network?

Then there’s no network left. So yes, when the 4G networks are switched off because all the frequency bands are needed for 5G, 6G, 7G, will I still be able to use my FP2 or my old 2G-only Nokia?

Well as I said 4G is backward compatible with 2G.
Yes there are countries closing down there 2G or have just one provider still providing 2G. Reading this wiki about 2G will tell you more about it.
In the Netherlands 4G isn’t available everywhere. It will take years before 5G is available in the Netherlands.
So let say that in 5 years time 2G will be switched off. Do you think your mobile will last another 5 years.
I don’t think so. By then you will have a new mobile. You still can call with a mobile which can do 4G. It’s up to you if you want to use it to the full benefit using internet on your mobile.

Are you sure this is the case? As I understood it 4G is a completely different network technology than 2G, so I would not take this for granted.

I can definitely say that my FP1 is only able to use 1 SIM card when I am in Japan since there is no 2G network in Japan (only the one that is enabled to 3G). Only 3G and 4G networks are available over there (and unfortunately 4G on differents bands than supported on FP2, which was somewhat expected).

Yes, 4g uses a different band, but at the moment there are countries where you can’t phone with 4G.
Therefore providers decide to use SingleRAN (Radio Access Network) which is a complete system that is modulair and all contemporary techniques (2G, 3G, 4G, and all intermediate) supports.

Hello,
does anybody know how I can link / connect / chain (verbinden) a single number of my contacts with the SIM card of my choice (SIM1 or SIM2) in the contact app? You have a general choice in the SIM card settings whether you use SIM1, SIM2 or you will be asked every time, but it seems not individually adjustable for each number. Do I need another app then?

Hey guys,
I’m thinking about splitting up my future mobile-phone contract. I then would have one sim with my data traffic and the other one for calls sms etc. Is anyone doing it like that one the Fairphone 2 and is it working properly?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with me :wink:

I use a sim from provider A in sim1 for calls, and a sim from provider B for data.
As you can only grant one sim 3/4G, I think it would be no problem to split them.
The one question I have is what is the advantage of doing so.

@JonathanSchreiber I moved your post here. Btw, you created the same topic twice, I guess that was a mistake.

Oh sorry, that wasn’t on purpose.
@Lidwien what does it mean to being just able to grant one sim 3/4G? Isn’t that just important for data or am I mistaking?
I think about getting two contracts because I want 3 gb data and you can get that for less than 5 € and than I would just add another contract with some free calling and messaging units.