FP2 compatible with Flir One?

@bfb: Thanks for the tip, but i really think best is if FairPhone and FLIR could get their products working together, and i can help with testing and feedbacking. My FP2 # is 12 thousand something.

I do not know how similar seekThermal and FlirOne is, but one difference is that FlirOne have also a visible light camera that is used to produce a edge line overlay into the thermal image to ease identification of areas.

@nicka: Great with more testers :slight_smile: FP2 have the “FlirOne correct” orientation of the microUSB. Yes i waited more than a couple months for my FlirOne, and now waiting for the replacement, they say it will take a week after they receive mine so i guess they prioritise replacements - as they should.

sure, but this way you can test if the device you got works at all or is defective. If it doesnt work, you can spare hours of trying to make it run with the FP2 :stuck_out_tongue:

There are some differences between flir and seek, flir has a second, non thermal cam, a built in battery and a better thermal resolution (0,1K, seek: 1K), but the seek thermal xr has a higher thermal range and a focus, thus possibly sharper immages (especially close range).

I however dont know how similar they are in terms of compatibility to phones.

Well, I got my DHL tracking today, so I soon can say more. My cam for sure works, so lets check compatibility ^^

Just tested it (for a minute or two, have to charge the battery).

Seek Thermal XR ** is compatible with FP2**.
At least I did not notice any problems while testing so far. Installation of app and camera without any problems, it works.

Further testing (Videos, screenshots, lag, stability for more than 2 minutes, battery consumption) maybe tomorrow.

EDIT
Just tested it a little bit more intense. Sometimes (camrea-selfadjusting) a slight stutter of the view, but almost no latency (some other phones have serveral seconds).
Shooting photos and videos works fine.
Battery: ~2% per min.
Stability: Got it running for serveral minutes, no crash.

Cheers for a new FP2 owner :beer:

Thank you for the report, That is great news.

I hope my replacement FlirOne will work that good when it arrives.

• Now when their competitor works good, i believe FLIR will be a bit pressured to fix theirs if it doesnt.

2 minor bugs:

When attaching the Seek Thermal, I get the android - dialog if I want to make the seek thermal app the standard app for this device.
When attaching again, I get asked again, the settings somehow dont get saved.

Second: the camera has a massive battery consumption, which is no bug itself. But this consumption is not mentioned in the battery statistics. After a quite extensive test of the thermal camera (I used ~60% of battery) the battery statistics only hat the usual few % for display, standby, some minor apps …

Should be the same for Flir One

It seems it remember about which app, but hard to tell it it works…

Flir one camera have a battery for internal consumption and it can only be charged separately by a female microUSB on the side, but i think the phone CPU is heavily used. We wi.l see when it works.

Have not got my camera back yet, but noticed the app got updated today so there is hope :slight_smile:

Hi I’m Cal Loo, the developer relations manager at FLIR. Morgan reached out to me directly about this compatibility issue, we weren’t aware of it until now. We’re going to get a FP2 and figure out what’s going on. Please stay tuned.

About the directional orientation of the microUSB port, we’ll soon begin shipping an adapter with the Android version of the FLIR ONE that allows users to reverse the connector when needed so FLIR ONE faces away from the user.

Thanks for your interest in FLIR ONE. If you’ll be at Mobile World Congress next week I’ll be there, drop me a note at cal.loo@flir.com and we can set up meeting time at the FLIR booth.

Cal

1 Like

Very nice, Cal, Welcome :sun_with_face:
There is a second USB port available on the FP2, i guess it can be handy for debugging while camera is connected. I know nothing more than that, but maybe ask Fairphone tech about it!

I got the replacement ** FLIR One ** today, and it ** works on FairPhone 2** :slight_smile:
The app have been updated while i was waiting so it is unclear to me if the problem was in the camera or app.

Played with it three times for an hour total, and it “just works” :slight_smile:
Normally the framerate is something like 5 to 10 fps, my quick personal guesstimate.

Slight problem: sometimes with maybe a minute interval there is a one second pause in picture update on screen and while recording video. As FLIR will get a FP2 to try it out on, i guess they will have a look at that.

Versions

FLIR One, version 2
(they made a different with same name “flir one” earlier…)
Hardware revision E, firmware 0.4.27
App version 1.5

FairPhone 2 “one of the first 17418”,
no system updates i know of.
I run avast antivirus since a week ago.

1 Like

STILL waiting for my Flir One from Tester.com (since early January)… and they have my money whilst I wait. Seems flir didn’t realise how many they’d sell and production can’t meet demand. Tho if it’s delayed long enough to get that 180 degree USB adapter it would be some compensation.

Was planning to thermal image the houses in our neighborhood as part of a community energy saving initiative … but even the English summer will be here by the time I get my camera.

Come on Cal, crank that handle ;¬)

Thanks for posting this! I got my FP2 last week and I can confirm it works well with HackRF and RF analyzer . After all the posts I read about USB OTG not working with the FP2 I did not even think about this will work. Great stuff! 73 Mark

1 Like

Got my flir one a few months back. Works absolutely fine with the FP2 … bit precarious hanging out of the USB socket mind. Use with care.

Hi All
Sorry to re-awaken this thread. I have ordered a Flir one (to use with my FP2), after reading the above posts ie the Flir one works on the FP2.

However, and weirdly, before I found this thread I had emailed Flir to ask about compatability - I have received a response from them saying it isn’t compatible!

So my question to those of you who have got a Flir One is ‘is it still working?’. Just a bit in a panic because I thought I was ok and now worried that I might not now work.

Thanks in advance

Just connected mine to my FP2 (which is fully up to date) and … it works JUST FINE.

I guess FLIR mean that they haven’t actually tested it with an FP2 'cause a) they’ve never heard of fairphone and/or b) it’s not worth their while.

1 Like

Mine still works too.
If a new FlirONE should not work it is a regression of Flir.
You could tell flir support to consult Cal Loo, the developer relations manager at FLIR
See Feb 17 above.

1 Like

Hi Nicka

Thank you! I did wonder if this might be the case.

I really appreciate your response - can now sit back and look forward to th Flir one arriving.

Regards

Sally

1 Like

Hi Morgano

Thank you. Though I am not that tech savvy - so would wonder to to do if I did actually need to do anything…I will keep the contact name handy in case I need it.

Much appreciated

Sally

1 Like

We might as well summon @cal and hope he gets a notification. It seems very confirmed that the device works with FP2 now. :smiley:

1 Like

Looking at the design it gives me the impression of being a bit wobbly giving the µusb connector a lot of stress.