FP2 charging issues

After my FP2 discharged completely it only charges when doing a factory reset while connected to a charging cable/charger.

I tried different cable, different charger, PC USB Port, different batteries, 5 different bottom modules, cleaned the batterie contact at the core module and battery and pulled out some debris of the USB Port, however without any change. Can I conclude a core module issue, or has someone any other ideas?

Oh, you have 5 bottom modules? Maybe more as fairphone Inc. ā€¦
Only one idea: How long you wait for success/life signal.
I would try 30 minutes or more.
But you wrote you tried different batteries. All discharged completely ?
When not you are right: main system problem (like core module)

2 Likes

Yeah but 4 with a broken mic and 1 in addition without speakerā€¦

No and the one that was completely discharged was plugged in for hours

So yes maybe my beloved FP2 is slowly dying, will seeā€¦

Have you tried charging through the expansion port? If that doesnā€™t work, thereā€™s something wrong with the core module, but if it does work, itā€™s probably a connector issue with the bottom module (so still on the core module, but hopefully easier to fix).

1 Like

What is an expansion port?

Iā€™ll take that as a no!

On the back of the core module thereā€™s five pogo pins in a square formation, theyā€™re essentially an extra USB port but itā€™s on the core module so itā€™s not dependent on the botttom module or its connectors.

If you take the back off your phone youā€™ll see those pins right next to the camera button, looking like this:

ā‘ Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā ā‘” ā† 5V in, red
Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā ā‘¢ ā† ground, black
ā‘£Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā ā‘¤

Pins two and three are the ones you can use for charging. If you clip the micro-USB plug off a USB cable and then take the red and black inner cables, strip them and then touch the red cable to pin 2 and the black one to pin 3, the phone should receive a charge.

Itā€™s fiddly but it may be worth a shot, if only for troubleshooting purposes.

5 Likes

thanks a lot for explaining and I will def. keep in mind for laterā€¦however fiddly+electronic+me is not a good combination, Iā€™m pretty sure whatever bad can happen it will happenšŸ˜

1 Like

If you do at some point find yourself desperate enough to try it:

In this cable, the 5V is pink and the ground is white because it was cheap and not made to specification.

3 Likes

I think the FP2 will ever stay a mistery for meā€¦the last weeks I could charge when turned off, today I received the A10 upgrade and since I installed this, I can normally charge (currently charging while typing)

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.