FP2 Change splash Image (splash.img)

No problem! You made me remind old times when I used to mod my ZTE Skate, which had a self-made, unique and cool Gameboy Droid splash screen, :slight_smile:

Don't judge me, those were times when I loved Gobble... obviously I didn't know anything

…but, in fact, that was the first device I successfully ungoogled, :wink:

5 Likes

The only thing that was missing for really promoting the SailfishOS port…
Good job @explit & @Roboe :wink:

2 Likes

All credits go to @Roboe, i only pushed the stone rollin’
But indeed. @Roboe’s python script is one step forward to the “real” open community phone…

2 Likes

True ! Thanks again @Roboe :wink:

3 Likes

I must say that Halium project (with @z3ntu being a part of them) is doing more for an “open community phone” than me with my little hack in python, but thank you anyway, :slight_smile:

Booting a Sailfish OS phone with a “powered by Android” splash sounds terrible, :joy:
Glad I was able to help you, :blush:

3 Likes

Couldn’t resist :wink: .

7 Likes

Well…we are real gourmets :smiley:

2 Likes

Sailfish OS was the first thing I ran on my Fairphone 2 after the stock OS, but I didn’t even once notice this detail, so :+1:

2 Likes

Ooooh, that would be a great addition to

…if it wasn’t closed, :frowning:

fixed that.

4 Likes

Hello, I’m desperately trying but it doesn’t work… The problem must be me. What I have done :

• Installed python (which is version 2.7.12 according to python -V) and installed python-imaging
  • python-pil is already installed (version 3.1.2)
  • Downloaded lp-splash.png to get the official image
  • Customised it to put the Lineage logo for the first one, and a Tyrannosaurus image plus the Lineage logo for the second one
  • Converted them into splash images with the python2 logo_gen.py "my_splash_screen".png command
  • Flashed them with the fastboot command.

What did I do wrong ?

Regards,

Daniel

1 Like

The one with the dinosaur is 1077x1920. Try expanding it to 1080x1920.
But that doesn’t answer the question why the one without doesn’t work…

2 Likes

From my own tries, image needs to be exactly 1080x1920, so follow @Johannes’s advice.

The setup (Python 2.7.* and PIL) is fine. I need to know more to help you further. What error are you getting to know that it doesn’t work?

Thanks for your asnwers and your help @Johannes and @Roboe ! What happens is this : I flash the image (the one which is 1080x1920). Nothing says there was an error :

fastboot flash splash lineage_fairphone.img 
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'splash' (6075 KB)...
OKAY [  0.193s]
writing 'splash'...
OKAY [  0.161s]
finished. total time: 0.354s

But then, when I type fastboot reboot and it reboots, the image doesn’t show up, instead it looks like :

So it shows your working splash screen, with a little grey bar at the top (as if it was telling “I am trying to show spartid’s image here, but I can’t”), and then boot normally. I reflash your image afterwards, and it boots showing your working image. I thought I could ask you to transform my PNG files into splash screens, and I think they would have worked then, but it’s a little frustrating not being able to make them myself :wink:

Yeah, the very purpose of having it open source is independence for everyone to make their owns!

Please, send me your .img and I’ll try to look at it tomorrow, comparing it with my own built, ok? :slight_smile:

It is indeed :slight_smile: That is, amongst other things, what converted me to libre and open source softwares :slight_smile: I sent you the images, thanks ! Take your time, I have my bachelor these to finish !

1 Like

Hey @Roboe ! I was wondering: do you know if the splash image of “fastboot mode” is easily accessible or not? Just an idea, if possible we could make it more recognizable… It always confuses me as it is the same image as in the boot screen :wink:

The bootloader uses the same flash screen for both modes, AFAIK. So changing one always change the other, :confused:

1 Like

Hello !
I played today with the tool and it worked flawlessly, converting 1080x1920 png to img and flashing img with fastboot :slight_smile:. Thank you !

One thing though, it looks like the splash.img is not included in TWRP backup, so when I switch back to another OS, the splash screen displayed is still the last one flashed… @z3ntu do you confirm ?

1 Like

No, TWRP doesn’t back up these partitions (only system, boot and userdata)

1 Like