FP2 Battery Problems (drains quickly, CPU gets hot) - See batteryguide for workarounds

Then you may wanna follow @Elipsus’ advice.

Check also this:

Alright, but who knows if GravityBox could be responsible for your WLAN being active all of the time or not? You can find out only if you uninstall GravityBox temporarily…

I don’t understand… yesterday morning CPU was not hot anymore and battery life seemed OK. This morning CPU’s very hot and battery life a disaster again…

Haven’t changed anything… seriously… exact same conditions.

I noticed though that phone is very slow to charge… I’m desperate…

Yesterday:

Today:

I can see that little Bluetooth icon on top of your second screenshot… :wink:

It was turned on and off almost immediately… :sweat_smile:

Have you uninstalled GravityBox as I recommended?

Not yet… I know I know but I don’t want to do it… I will eventually but I don’t want to… :sweat::grin:

Still it is your phone, and not mine… :sleepy:

I had this problem after updating to Android 6.0, battery was draining really fast. I decided to do a backup of my data and do a factory reset, opting to reinstall apps one-by-one rather than let google restore them. This improved my battery life considerably, whether back to pre- android 6.0 efficiency I could not say.

Hope this helps someone.

2 Likes

I also noticed that the sd card doesn’t make great contact with the phone… Maybe it has something to do with that?

But the thing is just before the update it was battery life was OK… not great but OK and then disastrous… so it DOES have something to do with the update…

Thanks for your valuable input. :slight_smile:

I am convinced that some Android apps can have a serious impact on the behaviour of the whole system. To rule out a potential hardware issue, your troubleshooting was most incommodious, but most expedient, too. Problem solved. Congratulations! :+1:

In this regard, Android is the new Windows… :wink:

1 Like

You may be right, but you cannot rule out any misbehaviour of one or more apps that are running on your phone since the update has been applied.

What do you think Fairphone should do? Troubleshoot all of your apps installed, one by one, version by version?

That would be nice… :grin::joy:

My problem dear Gerry is that I never had a functionnal FP2 (as I mentionned before). It was already changed, repaired, battery changed, SIM card changed, SDCard changed, hard reset (several times) and never ever worked fine… battery wise.

So it’s been a bother since I bought it… I spent hours doing all this while I should be able to rely on my phone to function as a phone when I need it…

That makes me not like my FP2 very much which defeats the purpose because I really really want to like it and be able to advertise it… as I had no problem doing with my FP1.

I don’t want to spend hours getting my phone to work… I just want it to work and do what’s supposed to do… you see?

Dear evidemment, I just read the whole thread, and I noticed that your phone might run at full throttle continously. Full throttle! Your battery never gets some sleep. Do you understand?

It is known that batteries for Fairphone 2 probably will not win a competition when it comes to score battery life.

If you do not want to make any change to your setup of apps and to the general use of your phone, but want to use it anyways, there is only one hope left for you: Wait and see if Fairphone offers a stronger battery for Fairphone 2 in the near future.

Unless you do anything that has been recommended to improve your battery life, this is my last response to you.

1 Like

So you didn’t read that I have done EVERYTHING since more that a year and a half?!? Your imput that was unistall GravityBox was also tried in the past… I TRIED EVERYTHING THAT WAS EVER SUGGESTED ON THE FORUM SEVERAL TIMES…

SO

Before deciding to do a factory reset AGAIN (I’ve done it so many times I can’t even count!!! without any changes by the way) I’m still trying to figure out why I have to continuisly occupy myself with my phone… (which I didn’t when I had my samsung… for exemple).

I do understand… that’s what I’m trying to figure out myself…

Now if you don’t want to help anymore because I’m not doing what you tell me to when you tell me to…
… well it’s OK… thanks for your help so far…

And again, I tried everything ever suggested on the forum several times in the past… knowing this you may understand why I’m tired of drastic mesures… which I shouldn’t have to use every week or so…

I understand your frustration with the issue and I know that finding the source of a battery drain can be a tricky and long process, and a pain in the ass.

Given that you already replaced hardware, there is a good chance that the problem is neither due to the hardware nor to the OS itself (as it apparently works fine for most users), but somewhere due to specific apps, app-combinations, or settings.

As you have already tried many things, the question is:

• Does the battery also drain after factory reset (no apps installed, just pure Android)?
  • If yes, does the battery also drain when taking out SIM card and SD card on a blank OS?
    If yes, you most likely have a hardware problem with the phone (–> probably warranty case). If no, then you will have to sort out which setting or app is causing the problem; or live with the draining battery. However, then it is not your FP2 to blame.

Unfortunately there are a lot of crappy apps out there, so we need to ask ourselves if we really want to have all of them or if we need all of them.

Using the Better Battery Stats is a good starting point to find problems that are not hardware related, but you would need to follow the apps guidelines to get meaningful readings. Your screenshots above are taken at 94% battery capacity and after a very short time. It would say may more if you charge the phone and leave it untouched for some hours. While this would give you a starting point at what things to look at, it can still be tricky to figure out the source of the problem.
I agree with @Gerry that a factory reset may be helpful. Sometimes it might be just quicker and easier to carefully set up the phone again, step by step, than finding the source. Yet it is up to you whether you want to invest the time to get a smoothly running phone or to live with the problem.

5 Likes

I charged my phone and took the second SIM card and the SD card off. Haven’t touched it yet… but it’s cool to the touch so no overheating for the time being. I’m letting it rest a bit more and I’ll have the stats from “better battery stats”. Then my plan is to insert the SD card and see what happens. Ucordingly I’ll take it off again and insert second SIM or insert second SIM with SD card… Even though my SIM cards were recently changed it’s worth the try…

I’ll get back to you with results…

OK these are results with just SMI1 in… it’s eloquent by itself…

Let’s see how the next step goes…

I believe you do not…

Because you did not experience this problem with your Samsung phone, you assume that your Fairphone or one of its updates is/are the culprit(s) of poor battery life? Given that you installed lots of apps on your Fairphone, are you absolutely sure you had exactly the same (Android) setup on your Samsung device? That is pretty unlikely unless you are a developer who produces Android OS images for the masses.

Try to realize that you always get caught in the same trap if you do this:

• Factory reset → install the same apps that you had before → battery drain!

This is not a troubleshooting process at all!

If you do not want to waste your time any longer, do this instead:

• Factory reset and watch your battery life. If it is quite stable, your phone should be OK.
  • Install max. two more apps at once → watch your battery life. If it seems to be OK, proceed and
  • Install max. two more apps at once → (you guessed it, see above…)

You are welcome. I have chimed in one more time to try to make you understand that a sorted troubleshooting process regarding your installed apps is absolutely mandatory to find and eliminate the cause.

I am closing my post with the words from @freibadschwimmer :

2 Likes