FP2 Battery Problems (drains quickly, CPU gets hot) - See batteryguide for workarounds

I let it drain so the phone shuts down automatically, so zero?

Oke. Does it boot to it’s normal homescreen or do you get a picture of a battery loading?

The black screen, fairphone logo and then it goes on a loop, trying to start the phone without success.

Have a look at this thread. Perhaps you can find some tips there.

Thanks for the tip, although it doesn’t help me. My problem is my battery drains so quickly and I growing impatient of this problem. I have sent mail to the support but no answer.

1 Like

Do you have your battery on saving function (Settings > Battery > More Options (three dots))?
Did you look at A little guide to fairphone batteries.
Just wait another day for a reply from support before sending @anon48893843 a PM.

1 Like

Hello.

I don’t want to have batterysaver on to be able to get a full days charge
on a mobile. I need to get messages not only when I turn on the screen.

Yes I looked in the guide and it didn’t really help me.

Problem is I’d like to figure out whats causing the drainage, and since I
can’t make a kick start to see if that can prolong my battery lifetime.

1 Like

I’m having trouble finding out the current on my changer being 5 volt 1 amp. Could that be a culprit for my battery to not keeping the phone charged longer?

It could be the charger, but it could be the USB-cable as well.
You need a data USB-cable to charge the FP2.
Perhaps you can go to a shop and try some chargers and cables so see if that solves the problem.

I use my old charger that works fp1. Do you mean I have to only charge via the computer?

No, but the problem could be the USB-cable.
Please try to connect your FP2 to the computer, see if that works and then use that USB-cable with your charger. As you have read there are problems with chargers.

There’s even another possibility that one of the SIM-cards is giving trouble in charging.
Take out one SIM-card and try to charger, see if that helps, and try it also with the other SIM-card.

Ok. Same error happens when I use my USB cable via the computer when I wanted to kickstart the battery. The phone tries to startup. So that might not have been a problem.

Regarding my rapid battery drainage I’ll try to buy a new charger with 5 v 1 amp. Or does that matter, I have no problem to charge my phone with the old charger, might just take a little longer?

Or doesn’t fp2 battery need a specific charger to get 100 % charge?

If the charger has less than 1 A it might take longer than with a stronger one. I use two old ones, one with 700mA and one with 750mA and still both work fine & fast.

Yeah, that shouldn’t be the root of my problem with fast drainage of the battery…

When you connect your phone to the computer is it then possible to see the data?
I ask this to be sure your USB-cable is correct.

2 Likes

Battery drain
I have my FP2 5 days “working” now (it runs unstable, charging problems, it got hot somwhere up to the battery, display is unfunctional while charging sometimes) I did remove the display. Today i did read some articles(no fancy things lots of text) for two hours, firefox was in use WLAN was off internetconnection through simcard no weird APPs running and the battery got down from 100% to about 50% in these two hours. Is this normal??? this is my first smartphone so i do not have anything to compare. But i do not have a POCKETNUKLEARPOWERPLANT.
I would be happy to any relation.
Regards uhu
By the way the battery menu shows 20 to 25% for Display usage the rest is far below. oh and the display setting is at lowest of course.

Today I stumbled over some articles, that apparently the Facebook app eats a lot of battery and removing it extends battery life by appr. 20%.
Maybe that is helpful for some of you.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/01/uninstalling-facebook-app-saves-up-to-20-of-android-battery-life

http://derstandard.at/2000030175443/Facebook-Android-App-bremst-Smartphones-aus-frisst-Akku-leer [German article]

3 Likes

Firefox has a battery drain issue reported on a lot of device, its my favorite browser but atm its just unusable , its probably ypur problem !

Hi,

I don’t know if it was already mentioned, but it seems that there is an update how to perform the battery reset with FP2:

Borjan (Fairphone Support) sent me these infos on
Feb 5, 14:44

Hello Werner,

We actually updated the battery reset procedure. You should not use the previous procedure as it will make the device report wrong state of charge.
To kickstart the battery:

• Take out the battery of the phone;
  • Wait for half an hour and put the battery back in the phone;
  • Connect the Fairphone to a charger;
  • If the charging light is blinking, it means that the battery was totally empty, wait for some minutes until the red light becomes fixed;
  • A loading battery icon should appear for a few seconds (a short press on the power button will display it);
  • Please keep on charging for more than an hour because the battery was likely totally drained.
    You might need to do it twice - or at least let it shut down by itself twice - before the report is better.
6 Likes

Does that mean that we should use this procedure for FP1 too?