FP1U - can it have an OS that has users, like FP2?

Hi there!
I have an FP1U and an FP2, I love and adore my FP1U as it is more portable and easy to use for smaller hands.

I have been very angry with my FP2 due to its size, but I happend to discover today that I can install Whatsapp as different users for the three sim cards I have (work, abroad and local) which made me be less annoyed with my giant and unpractical FP2, in fact loving that option (thanks devs! great idea! <3 <3 <3)

Now, my question is: can I install the OS of the FP2 to my FP1U? And if so, how?

thank you and sorry for taking your time! any help will be of great help!
Thanks!!

Sadly, no. Mobile OSes are built on a per-device basis, not like desktop OSes. This just means you cannot install a FP2 OS to the FP1U because there are so much low-level parts that differ between the two devices (completely different processors being the main one).

However, the Fairphone team is working on a Kitkat (Android 4.4.x) update for the FP1U (you can beta test that already). You can maybe ask them to active that functionality (included in Kitkat, but disabled for most-if-not-all Kitkat smartphones in the market), or, if they don’t, install Xposed Framework and the Multi Users for Phone module.

Cheers!

5 Likes

HI Roboe!

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! Very encouraging.

So does KitKat Android 4.4.4.x has the option of users? :))) and you say to ask “them” to activate that functionality, … who is them and where would I do that, do you have any idea?

Thank you very much and sorry to trouble you!

2 Likes

You can maybe ask @jftr (the developer at charge of the Kitkat update) to enable the option in this topic: FP1: Macadamia 1.9.9-pre3 Alpha (Android Kitkat)

But to access that topic, you need to belong to the beta testers group. You can request to be part to that group somehow, but I can’t find right now the forum topic where that was explained… :sweat:

Edit: I found it, but there are bad news…

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/closed-call-for-testers-of-android-4-4alpha-for-fairphone-1/19411

2 Likes

There will be an AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) session with the developer later this afternoon:

5 Likes

They have reopened the call for testers! :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh!! I had no time to get back to this till. Now! Am not very technical although am happy to collaborate with my input in regards to testing…
I guess I’ve got to figure out how to get in that list first. Let me try and do what was posted before and see if someone can add me to that… :slight_smile:

Thanks!! I was late to see this!! But am very thankful for your help :slight_smile:

Hiya i didn’t have access to that topic, so not possible that way, I’ll see if i contact them directly via the support portal, i hope they can help. Thank you so much for all your support! :slight_smile:

Hiya! I tried contacting the FP team a couple of times without luck…i dont often do this but ill have to conform.

Did you see the summary here? :slight_smile:

No mention of your “users” question though, sorry.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.