[FP1] USB connection not working

Thank you again for your replies. By now, I am quite certain that the problem prevents me from accessing the “USB computer connection” settings screen (the 2nd picture in this answer). To be more precise,

• there is no notification “Connected as a media device” (or any other USB notification) in the notifications panel after plugging in a USB cable; and
  • after installing the unified partition upgrade, I can now access the “USB computer connection” entry from the storage menu (as described by Johannes), but tapping it does not get me to the options - even while a USB cable is plugged in.

Since the problem seems to show up independently from the computer and the USB cable used, I conclude that it is most likely due to a hardware failure, as suggested by fp1_wo_sw_updates in their first reply.

3 Likes

There is a difference in usb-cables. Two wired = only useable for charging
Four wired = useaable for charging and data-transport.
So make sure your usb-cable is suitable for data-transport.

3 Likes

Hi,

You can always use a SD card to “move” data/music onto your phone! :smile:

Checklist

1. Check the usb-cable and the computer with a different device. To exclude cable and computer issues (as @Lidwien describes)

2. Check the software revisions on the phone (latest?).

3. Once the FP1 is usb connected to the computer, try once again:

The setting dialog in the old =<4.4 Android versions is confusing. But the notifications panel (see pictures above) should show “something” if connected to a working computer with a working cable.

1. Send it back to FP. Let the FP guys have a look at it. We are just users helping users.

2. Let us know.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks guys! Really happy. A different cable on a different laptop works, via Store > menu button > USB computer connection, I now get the list of choices.

So, indeed, if the “USB computer connection” doesn’t work, it’s a hardware problem. If different known good USB ports and USB cables don’t help one, then it’s probably a broken USB port on the phone.

Thanks for the help :smile:

Nice to hear, that you solved this.
For sake of completeness: which USB-cable did you use
Cheers, Robert

My problem looks somewhat different. I have posted a reply in another thread: Problem with sms and Time display

The usb connection dosn’t work anymore on my pc (while it used to). I can easily access the usb connection panel and the MTP box is ticked, the phone also charges but it doesn’t appear on my computer screen.

I have tried rebooting the pc, the phone, ticking “charge only” then back to “MTP”, tried with different USB ports and different cables, with and without the phone cover.

When I look in the computer device manager, it says “other devices” -> “MT65xx Android phone” with an error icon and says thay can’t find the driver.

I used to be able to access it on my computer (I last did it a few weeks ago) and I can still do it on other computers. I don’t know what has changed.

That still sounds good, at least the physical connection is still working somehow :slight_smile:

What version of Windows (I assume) do you use? This in important, normally it should work out of the box.

Maybe it will be best to keep this info under one topic here, else it could confuse people.

Maybe removing and reinstalling the driver will help? Which driver did you use? Be careful about installing drivers from strange sources (don’t :slight_smile: ), try to use the one from MS!

Maybe you can remove the driver and trigger the process on your computer that lets windows search automatically for latest driver?

Disclaimer: I currently do not own a working windows installation, I just try to remember what I normally did in that case.

First of all, this is a forum only for problems with the Fairphone. We do not support any other phones.
Secondly, it would be very helpful to include punctuation in a post to make it better understandable.
Don’t expect an answer in this forum.

2 Likes

Before the topic is closed - did anyone find another solution to this? When I click 'USB computer connection" it only refreshes the SD-card storage info, regardless of whether the phone is connected or not. The phone charges but there are no options on the screen :frowning:

Have you tried another cable? Does your FP1 connect to other computers?

Hi All, Just for Fairphone to know, I’m in the exact same situation as @c_c_chaos . I also think it is HW issue even if I just made 2 days ago the 1.8.7 upgrade… Strange coincidence…
@c_c_chaos : Did you solve the problem ? It’s very annoying.

Have you run all the tests described above? If it is a hardware issue, try to contact the support and try to get a new board using the warranty. I wonder how many devices are affected.

1 Like

Also having the danger of spamming my messages to often to the forum I try it anyway:
Did you all gave already a try with cleaning the USB port of the FP1, which maybe could prevent a proper connection between USB jack and connector and thus the proper recognition at the PC?
If not: please try it and report back if it helped!

Cheers, Robert

I agree, someone should do a usb-port checklist/how-to. :slight_smile:

Hi Sjouke,

From this thread I learned to check the following;

1. Try out different USB cables,
  2. Try out a different USB port, or even a different laptop/PC if possible.
  3. Try to start the fairphone in safemode (see link above in the thread
    somewhere…) to rule out the possibility of software interfering with
    the USB connection.

If all that has been tried and the problem persists, then yes, it would
seem the USB connected is damaged.

Kind regards,
James

Hi Robert,

I don’t know how to describe it exactly, it was an USB cable that came
with the Amazon Kindle charger that worked. Here is the link to the
exact model I had purchased;

But I suppose any Micro-USB to USB cable that can transfer data should work.

Cheers,
James

@JamesR404: why not add as point 1.) Clean USB port caruflly with a screwdriver from dust?

Seems that the FP-community is quite sceptical about this, but in my case it helped!!!

Hi ! Yes @fp1_wo_sw_updates , I tried all this, and I can add that when just pluging any cable, there is no charging, Since a few days ago, I have to apply a special oriented pressure on the plug to make it charge the phone. It really means that there is an HW issue and the USB PC connection appeared at the same time.
Thanks @therob I also tried to clean it up carefully.

Message sent to the support, waiting for their answer. I don’t know if I’m still under warranty since I’m from the first batch…

1 Like

I used to have W7. The problem (not being able to see the phone on my computer or transfer data to and from it) occurred while I still was on W7. Now I moved to W10 and the problem still occurrs. I have another computer with W8 and the phone works fine with it.

I didn’t install any driver for the phone to work (when it still did), the computer detected it automatically. So I don’t have any driver that I can uninstall and reinstall. I also have updated every driver and software I had on the computer and nothing changed regarding the phone.