FP1 Spare parts availability (batteries, displays, motherboards, etc. [out of stock!?])

Jep, hi there. Here’s one more FP1 user who needs a new display.
Looking forward to the update on when the spare parts will be available again :slight_smile:

1 Like

And one more FP1 user in need of a display assembly. Also, I just received a reply on a support thread. It said:

"We now found a reliable partner, started production and we are happy about the fact that we have a first batch of 300 displays arriving later in January.
This unfortunately means that for the coming weeks, we won’t have displays for sales in our webshop.

Of course you can also choose to send your phone to our repair centre to get the display repaired."

For several months I am running around with the “Swarovski edition” of my FP1. I registered on getting notified when display will be in stock again expecting this to be a matter of days or maybe a week. However it’s rather months and I don’t hope years…

My display has broken. How long will it last to get a new one for actually no display is in store?

I guess it’s best you contact Support directly.

Good afternoon,

This week the screen of my FP1 was definitively made unusable by a crack that propagated all of a sudden from an initial impact I had made earlier in December 2015. Since then, like the people posting in this thread, I had been waiting to get informed about where we were with this ‘out of stock’ issue…
I have read all the comments and then think I am pretty much aware of your situation at Fairphone: Warehouse move and supply chain ‘troubles’.
I hope you have learned from this as your model relies on the spare parts availability: beside ordering spare parts, I have found nobody that knew the phone and could repair it. Contrary to Samsung, Apple and the others, there are too few Fairphone users for them to have stock and that is perfectly understandable.

As a result, I had to do exactly the contrary from what I intended to when buying your phone: now, after only a little more than one year, I had to buy a second phone that does not apply your ethical concerns or at least that does not pretend to do so. I am still waiting for spare screens to be available as I still want to fix it, and I hope to keep on using it.

I guess you are aware of the bad advertising it does to Fairphone as from the people that saw me struggling with my unusable phone, the main comment was ‘they do it on purpose so that you switch to FP2’. This is pretty ironic when one of the main reasons to switch to FP is to try and have a non-disposable phone that one does not have to change every year and a half. I am avoiding to make too much bad advertisement because I think I understand the reason of this shortfall, even though it is unacceptable as your logistics have to be bullet proof (especially for the screens… I guess the probability to have to repair it is quite high!).
I know at least one person that was about to buy a FP2 and who as a matter of fact saw me struggling. Not sure of her decision now…
Regards

7 Likes

@Toydolls: I think, you’ve made a good point. However, if you want to make sure that the Fairphone team will read this, it might be better to contact them directly. :wink:

Exact the same thing here. I just HAD to buy a new phone (and NO it’s NOT the 500€ FP2) because my screen broke in December and since then i’m following this post, checking the shop and waiting for a notification mail … but nothing. And no, i don’t want to contact anyone directly if there’s a shop and a forum which all send the same signals … btw noone’s here posting “I contacted 'em directly an look i got a new screen” … :stuck_out_tongue:

I need (well, let’s say i really, really want :smiley: ) a phone but as i just bought my FP1 18 months ago i’m pretty much NOT willing to spend another 500€ this early.

So, my two big disappointments with FP are the lack of android updates AND the lack of spare parts … both are essential for the longevity of the product and without the sustainability of the whole project is imho gone.

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not angry, just disappointed. I really like the FP idea and i was willing to support it (i myself have one, it’s broken, i and convinced two other persons to get one as well). But it’s not a charity thing, it’s a real product which i need in my everyday life. And this product has to work/function, otherwise it’s worthless to me no matter how good the intentions were …

1 Like

I agree with the opinions above and I’m disappointed with fairphone service.
Why are there still display units available at the fairphone service-center for the rich who can affored the repair to be made and the displays in the shop are out of stock? How many displays are hoarded?
It would be very helpful to get more realistic predictions about delivery schedules and availability.
I dropped my fairphone 1 some months ago. The cracks of the display stared to effect the operation at the beginning of December. Since the fairphone 2, I had already ordered in September was delayed, I decided to buy a new display unit for my faiphone 1 in December. Up to today I neither have a new screen nor the fairphone 2.
Therefore I canceled the order for the fairphone 2 last week and bought another used Samsung phone. The fairphone 1 is still broken and might stay broken forever if there won’t be display units soon. It’s not repairable because there are no spare parts! That’s not sustainable.
I hope I can buy a more reliable fairphone from a more realistic company when my new “used” Samsung phone will be broken in 4 to 5 years.

See you guys.

Hi there,
Future FP2 owner here, i just would like to add my voice to the others.
By buying a Fairphone, it’s a step to have a more repairable phone, as i can see, there was absolutly no screen available since the last 2 months…
Yes, i read your apologies and the reasons, but keep in mind that if you keep failing at what you where supposed to be better than the others : SELF-repairing, then you are not better than the others…
It seems that you are not aware of something really important :
Nowadays, one can’t live without a phone for two months !!! (i hope that all those excalamtion point marks my point)
So, if, in 2 years, my FP2 ( that i hope i will receive one day…) screen is broked, and unusable, i won’t be able to wait 2 month for it…so, what will i do ? Easy way : buy a new smartphone…i know, it’s not what i should do, but it’s EXACTLY what everyone will do.
From personal experience :
Waiting for my FP2, i am now sitting on an outdated phone i got from a friend that can’t send sms properly nor surf the web ( LG L3II), it’s driving me nuts, and the only reason that kept me from buying a “real” phone is that none perfectly suits my needs atm (still, i almost entered my card n° for a bq Aquaris M5), so, the only thing that keeps me from canceling my pre order is just this, and i’m sure that in 2 years i might find something for me !
So, to keep it clear : KEEP SPARE PARTS AVAILABLE OR YOUR WHOLE COMPANY MOTO FALL TO PIECES (exactly like the phones of those are waiting…)
Please, don’t fail at this…just…please !

Hi Michiel, did you get Feedback from Steve yet? I understand it is not easy to plan and order spareparts in rather small quantities but some news would be highly appreciated as this is one of the big advantages of the fairphone to be able to buy spareparts…

@weltstreicher @Toydolls
You are both so right, but…
I also run a company, ok just one man ;).
And belive me i die few things wrong in the beginning (first 2 years!) but still i have the same costumers, and they are happy.

Why do i told you that, FP is a dam small company, not a globalplayer, like Apple, Samsung or LG.

So they really need time and some kilo if patiens.
If you are willing to give it to them… They will be thankful, fro the Rest if their life. A globelplayer not.:’(

True they surely could do it better. 100% is not enought this days it need to be 120%. But…

It’s true if you do 100% 110% is reachale, but no one can reache 200%.
But FP should do so!? FP1 and FP2 at the same time? Sorry no way.

If they want do it well they need a bit biger Team, let’s say 3 vor 4 more, and they should just doing FP1 stuff.

In the other Hand, if the scree etc. are so urgent, why didn’t you call them directly, so i would.

Ben

3 Likes

However, in my understanding sustainability (by reparablity) was one of their major promises. And no matter how much i want to like and support this company … i will not cut my thumb while using my broken phone and i won’t stop using a phone, until i receive my replacement display (if ever), either.

btw the FP1/FP1U display assembly is still out of stock. :frowning:

1 Like

Does anyone know whether they have done anything to prevent this situation for the FP2?

Indeed, it is arguable that the FP1 has failed. Had I bought another phone, then I would probably have been able to repair the screen at any of the many small phone repair shops around town. Instead I’ve bought the FP1 and as a result had to buy a new phone, leading to more waste, resource consumption and (possibly) more bad labor conditions. Overall the net effect of buying a FP1 has so far probably been negative.

However, it would be fine to buy a FP2 if the Fairphone team has learned from this experience and will ensure that the future phones will not have these problems. I’m confident (or naive) that it’s better this time around, but a write-up about it would be welcome. The glass is supposedly better though :-)!

Personally, I am reluctant to trust a company that has effectively missold me a phone that I cannot repair myself despite repeated promises to the contrary with my money again.

clearly. I’m not buying the FP2 (I don’t own an FP1) until I am sure they deliver on their promise of repairability for the FP1.

It’s a strange phenomenon that phrases like “we plan on” or “we commit to” are so often interpreted as promises, especially in situations where promises can’t be made
I’m sure they are doing their best to get the missing parts back asap, but it’s not all in their hands.

4 Likes

We could play on words and argue whether “I commit” and “I promise” mean more or less the same thing anyway, but who cares ?

It boils down to this: their whole identity is based on having repairable & ethic phones. If they can not ensure availability of spare parts, their phones will not be repairable and their added value as an android phone vendor is strongly diminished.

They might very well do their best, they might not – that’s not the point. The point is: as a customer, my trust in Fairphone as a company depends on them being able to deliver those spare parts.

It’s only logical: why would I buy an FP2 if I’m afraid they won’t deliver parts for it once FP3 comes out ?

1 Like

The idea behind Fairphone is not to create the perfectly ethical and centuries-lasting phone, they “just” try their best to make it better than everybody else.

It may have something to do with the FP2 being released now, but only because they are understaffed and overworked now and not because they stop supporting FP1. I’m sure that once the whole turmoil of the FP2 release is over things will run smoother again.

But maybe @anon48893843 can give us an update?

3 Likes

Sorry, I totally agree to @jbruggem here. The persistent failure to deliver spare parts cripples Fairphone’s concept: There is no point in having a phone with replaceable parts, if you can’t be sure these parts are available when you need them. Just trying is not enough here!

Considering that a good image is Fairphone’s key feature in selling phones, they seem to put way to less effort in solving this issue. First we are not talking about some days here. The display assembly is unavailable for months(!) now! And second: If something like this happens (and it absolutely mustn’t), customers waiting for spare parts need updated information (what went wrong?, what problems need to be solved currently?, how are we trying to solve them?, and how long will that take?). Fairphone seems to fail terribly here. The last statement in this board was posted some months ago and the support does not seem to respond at all.

This has to be considered a major issue. Unfortunately Fairphone seems to strongly underestimate it.

Quick question to the forum: Is there a display available by another manufacturer that is compatible with the FP1? I don’t really care what it looks like, it just needs to work…

1 Like