FP1 frequent Facebook-related crashes requiring taking the battery out

I have added Facebook to the thread title given this is clearly a pattern with the freezes of everyone who responded here. Hope you agree. :slight_smile:

By the way, Fairphoners over in our German language Facebook group are now reporting the same.

1 Like

So pleased that Iā€™m not alone in experiencing these issues! Has anyone heard anything back from Facebook about it?

Has there been a recent update that caused it? As mine was working fine until yesterdayā€¦

Same problem here. My Fairphone1 crashes as soon as I open FB and Iā€™m obliged to take out the battery and restart it.
Any idea (except getting rid of FB ;))?

I uninstalled the facebook-app for now, using facebook in chrome app instead, works well.

Same for me too :cry:

Exactly the same here. FB started crashing a few days ago, several battery-out moments, I deleted and reinstalled the app twice, same problem. No storage partition or weird add-ons here. Iā€™ve deleted it again and have been using FB mobile website, but thatā€™s far clunkier than the app is (was).
I suspect we are indeed up against FBā€™s mercy and that their latest app isnā€™t meant to run on our older Android. I wonder what they did the other day to trigger this but it did start happening straight after an FB Update had run.

ā€¦oh, and I suspect FB Messenger does it too.

The FB Messenger is, as far as Iā€™m concerned, still stable.

Also there is no need to uninstall the FB app if you donā€™t want to - I still have it and it refreshes my notifications screen just fine. Just donā€™t open it!

1 Like

This may be a good time to think about switching to some more privacy aware apps to connect to facebook.

Has anyone tried one of them to see if they still get crashes? (I myself donā€™t use facebook so I wonā€™t test it)

1 Like

Yes Iā€™d be happy to test any alternative. I didnā€™t realise these existed. Where should I start?

1 Like

Yep same problem for me on FP1. The recent update was for a login option of using profile PIC, I think so donā€™t know if that is the problem. Iā€™ve reported problem to FB. Canā€™t find a way to speak to anyone directly. I suggest we all send reports to FB. Iā€™ve now deleted FB from my phone cos of the freezing battery removal thing. I donā€™t know how Iā€™m going to find out if there is a fix other than through here. So appreciate any news. Perhaps Fairphone can report problem to FB on our behalf?

1 Like

Tinfoil seems like a good option.

Right, will load it later and see! Thanks

This seems to be a problem not only with FP1, but a general issue with the facebook app, so this discussion continues here:

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Facebook app causing severe problems (December 2016 app update)