FP 3 - but why?

But is it FP2 being designed to make us take it apart or is it FP3 designed to take away the freedom of simply taking it apart, hindering us to impress our friends or is it both?
I am sooo confused and feel soooo manipulated; no matter what. :wink:

5 Likes

Obviously the end goal is to make the Fairphone more and more difficult to open. The next step is the invention of superglue, and R&D spending on proprietary screws :roll_eyes:

Every device choice has concessions. Which is why the smartphone market is as diverse as it is. So many choices to make. Although, perhaps, often that diversity isn’t interesting for us, other people view the Fairphone as such. The typical “shit specs :rofl: /moves on” type of post.

2 Likes

I really like the posts summing up the prices for the spare parts in the shop to then say you can build the Fairphone 3 yourself with them for less money … oblivious to the fact there’s a core module, and it’s not in the shop :slight_smile: .

(Ok, I’ve seen only two of those up to now, and one was already corrected by a commenter).

5 Likes

I guess you are ironic, aren’t you?
Just in case someone is taking this serious:
The fact, that the FP3 is harder to dismantle than the FP2 is an enhancement.

The midframe of the FP2, or the core module, is qute flexible; so is the display.
With the FP2 those two parts fixed by a plastic sliding mechanism only.
Many people reported problems with the display or the core module due to loose contacts.

With the FP3 the midfrane (seeming more sturdy itself) is connected wit 13 screws to the display. And Fairphone is including the fitting screwdriver with the package.
Therefore the FP3 is more rigid, the connections are fixed and as an add-on the precious materials needed for those connections could be reduced.

Result: Stronger, more stable phone using less resources. :smile:

4 Likes

Yes, hence the :roll_eyes: it is used to denote sarcasm/irony. (Another one is :wink: but it is less precise/clear. It is a flaw in text communication, hence the roll eyes is an important smiley/emoticon/emoji/whatever_it_is_called_these_days)

FP3 has even 1 more module.

Difficult to say a lot about a device I have not yet used. Patiently waiting :slight_smile: (I ordered around 12.15 cause of an OS update).

12:12 here. :slight_smile:
But this phone is a gift, so I will keep talking of something I don’t know firsthand.

Status Update:
Shipping “late October” now.

2 Likes

Yours will have approx 2 days delay cause of Germany (if I’m not mistaking?) compared to me near Amsterdam (1 day for sure) but yeah I’m sure you’ll get yours earlier. Just one more thing… that shipping late October is not counting for you or me, is it?

I presume that’s on new orders, or do you mean also on your launch-hour order?

Noooooo!
One could really watch the shipping date change with orders the first days.
I have listed this here:

Shipping dates are always what was shown when you ordered.

Edit:
@JeroenH
I really don’t expect ordering 3 minutes later to have an influence on delivery date.

1 Like

OK, glad I understood it correct. Seems like a fair way to handle it.

okay, I see. makes sense.
I just wished they would have taken a bit more effort in creating something which is compatible with fp2 parts. Of course they needed a new base and all in all the more compact design needs some new part designs. But parts besides the mainboard and display… whatever. I am also not saying I don’t like the higher capacity batterie, and the design. But now there are so many spare parts produced for a mainboard that obviously can’t handle them. Even if you exchange them, 4 weeks later, you need a new one, or something is not even repairable at all. ):

I really don’t understand what you’re trying to say here.

6 Likes

fp produced spare parts for the fp2, but the phone is just not working properly. so it is kind of wasted, because you can’t use them in the fp3

You’re confusing two things here. FP produced spare parts for many FP2s, not only for your FP2. Just because your FP2 doesn’t work properly doesn’t mean the spare parts are useless.

8 Likes
  1. “The phone” doesn’t exist. There are ones which are working great, and unfortunately the opposite, and everything inbetween.
  2. For phones with problems surely the existence of spare parts is not a waste?
  3. I see one aspect constantly overlooked in this type of discussion … The software would have to support the old parts. That’s a problem, and a big one, because mostly this depends on hardware vendors releasing drivers for their stuff for current Android versions, and hardware which is years old somewhen will be declared EOL and not supported any further. This happened to one of the most crucial parts of the Fairphone 2, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 SoC, already, which gives Fairphone all kinds of headaches with their Android 7 (which Qualcomm doesn’t support for the 801).
10 Likes

I’m a little surprised that nobody has taken you up on your use of the term “straight away”. The FP2 first shipped in 2015, so the FP3 is coming out four years after the FP2. In that time, Samsung have released nearly two hundred new phones — one new model every week! Take a look at any of the major brands on GSM Arena and they’ll be similar. FairPhone are so far from that that I really can’t understand this complaint.

It would be cool if the parts could be reused from one model to the next more easily, but I think it would take some serious engineering and design to enable something like that. In the mean time the performance demands placed on mobile devices are getting ever higher, and support for new technologies is expected. At this point I think an improved FP is well justified.

11 Likes

Probably the easiest part to keep from one phone to the other would be the casing.
Of course most likely that’s the part lots of people would love to see being changed and available in dozen different colors and materials. :wink:

2 Likes

Also don’t forget that the whole ARM hardware scene is changing much faster than the desktop Intel scene (which frankly stalled a few years ago). Android now (rightly) needs hardware support for encryption, SOCs have more cores so they can rapidly ramp up and down power consumption so they can run powerful apps/algorithms by reduce power when less is going on…

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly, except for AMD Zen 2 (3000 series) and EPYC. AMD currently blows Intel out of the water price/performance.

If you want FOSS hardware you have a lot less choice though. I suppose the main choices are Raptor Engineering for desktop, NXP i.MX series for ARM, and in the future we’ll see more and more RISC-V.

1 Like