FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist meta discussion

Thanks for the correction. I meant that one :slight_smile: maybe I could make that myself with putting a sticker on my case which does thatā€¦ But a full case would be even cooler :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dvl has a 3d printable case available by 3D printing via Shapeways (see below), but I donā€™t think Shapeways has a glow in the dark strong and flexible polymer (yet).

1 Like

I bought my FairPhone 2 with a spare battery, so I could switch on long trips. Is there a way to charge it without actually putting it in the phone? For example, for my old Galaxy S4 I used this:

Is there something like that for the FairPhone 2?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Iā€™m not aware of such a device existing (yet), but it is on our Wishlist in the first post which is why I moved your post here.

1 Like

Iā€™m still waiting for my FP2, would it be possible to remove Ram and CPU ? I really like the suggestion of upgradebale ram and cpu, but is it even possible ?

Look for an external universal charger. Iā€™m sure that there are some where the FP2 battery fits in.

What about an USB cable with pins at the opposite side, to use it as a voltmeter/ohm-meter with the appropriate software ? @dvl ?

One of the few things I would really like for FP is to get is usb type-c and ideally usb 3.1. Leads to better charging times, finally a reversible cable, faster speed and has the potential to become the all-in-one cable (laptops could get it, has even support for displayport etc), so that would imo most future-proof FP.

3 Likes

This sounds indeed future proof. I just have to contradict faster charging times. The charging time depends on the input amperage the phone supports. FP2 pulls up to 1,54A, which makes a charging time of 1h36m (click link for source).

1 Like

Ahhh that is interesting.

I suppose the more correct comment would then be that with the new USB standard more power can be delivered through the cable that even laptops can be charged with that. Just that FP2 could not make use of it.

That is good to know, thanks for linking to that post :slight_smile:

Maybe it is indeed possible to modify the charging module in such a way that a higher input amperage is possible. I cannot evaluate this possibility though because Iā€™ve no clueā€¦ :grin:

QC sells a broad range of proprietary software/hardware under the term ā€œquick-chargeā€. There is already a QC in the FP2 ā€¦ So quick charge could show up one day ā€¦ if not in this release maybe in another.

Oh, and please keep the crypto-cable craziness in mind :slight_smile:

Thanks for this thread!

+1 for fingerprint sensor. It was mentioned by @goody but I didnā€™t see it in the list on top. It could sit in a new type of case. Or maybe it could be part of the top or bottom modules and be accessible through a case opening similar to the the one for the camera.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not really a friend of those. They need a really tight integration with the system to be ā€œsecureā€ (ā€œSecure Enclaveā€). Also they are not safe to begin with. They only lower the barrier for spending more money by having some kind of fake security. But I know that there are people that see this different. This is just my opinion. And if itā€™s possible to buy a module for it ā€¦ why not?

Yubico with the external FP2 port was a pretty neat idea. A token you can even change if you need to. Your fingerprints identify you forever and you leave them everywhere ā€¦ including on your phone.

Update: Thanks for liking opposing views. I really appropriate that! Just for the record: I really do think that fingerprint sensors make things easier. Iā€™m just not sure if that is always a good idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there anything going on regarding improving battery life ?

lot of new smartphones offers over 3000mAh battery on a 7 to 8mm thickness, it seems that battery technology as improved.
and some others, reach about 2 days usage just by optimization (samsung A5).

I think it could also be a keypoint for FP to achieve high energy efficiency :innocent:

1 Like

I think with a build in battery you can ā€œfillā€ much more space ā€¦ ā€œthe phoneā€ is the battery casing in this case.

But on the other hand I also think that a stronger battery with more or less same size would be possible. But keep in mind, each user replaceable battery would come with a more stable casing. I wish FP had just copied the dimensions of a more popular smartphone battery. I donā€™t mind carrying an extra battery with me that Iā€™m also able to buy mostly everywhere. I would have copied a Samsung (2600-3200mAh) one. You can get batteries for a Galaxy mostly everywhere.

But thatā€™s just me and maybe Samsung could have sued FP, who knows?

2 Likes

This can be also reached by a software update, for example, Android 6 M brings ā€œDozeā€.

2 Likes

First, the autonomy of the fp2 has to be improved. I think itā€™s its main wreak point. As soon as it might be reasonable, letā€™s use a new generation of battery. If not, then it might be good to give two options for the buyers : normal limited battery, or thicker one with a special cover, as proposed before.

An other nice extra accessory would be a waterproof protection box which stands 5 bar pressure, linked to the camera button which allows divers to make underwater photos and videos, like with a gopro.

For the next fairphone, I think a 100% modular cell phone like this would be really great ! Customizable according to the need of everyone !

Ehm, am a dreaming too deeply ? If so, just let me know :wink:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: FP (Open) OS Feature Requests - vote for your favorites