FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist meta discussion

I would guess that Galileo does not change their modulation and other RF stuff for years, so I think all that would be needed is new firmware for the SDR (software defined radio ) stuff or for the signal processor. I can’t be all hardware :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, partially I agree. Not all but parts of the GPS signal processing is done directly in the SoC. If there is no hardware implemented or missing software (driver) support (from Qualcomm) for Galileo in the SD801 I guess there’s nothing that could be done by FP. :-/

1 Like

I’m currently working on a new FP2 Motherboard. Maybe it will fulfil some of your wishes

Are you working for Fairphone or do you do it by your own?
Good luck and all the best

There’s a topic in the Do It Yourself category …

1 Like

Is there a roadmap for work Fairphone will be undertaking and/or 3rd party components, self-built or not?
tnx

Hey all! I’m new to the forum! I got my Fairphone 2 a month ago, and am loving it so far, it does exactly what I need a phone to do, with no extra fluff, and I had such a great time opening it up and disasembling it and putting it together the first time I got it.
Now the batterylife is of course not great, but such is the case with allot of modern phones. My pipedream would be to see Fairphone parternup with Clearink (https://www.clearinkdisplays.com/) to provide the option for a less power hungry display. It would maybe be in line with the eco-friendly mission of Fairphone.
Cheers!

1 Like

Now since this is a wishlist, I would like to add something that is probably not feasible in the near future.
a) 5G…
b) The next evolution of USB, After 3.1 Gen. 1 and 3.1 Gen. 2 comes 3,2 Gen 2x2 bringing 20 Gbit/s. Very confusing naming convention by the USB implementers’ forum…
Thanks
hman

1 Like

Having a sodium-ion battery.

There is an European company named TIAMAT ENERGY :slight_smile:
The advantages of this type of battery:
Long life (4000 cycles)
Eco-friendly as the sodium is easy to find and use
Recyclable
Very quick charge

Maybe FairPhone could create a fair partnership with them and make the FP even more ecofriendly :heart:
:slight_smile:

8 Likes

I approve the battery idea from my top neighbour

I would personnally like to see :

• Galileo supported (optional)
  • LineageOS (supported on FP2 but wil probably need a FP3 version?) or Fairphone Open OS BY DEFAULT on the FP3. Perhaps the possibility to have F-Droid as a store?
  • A hardware “off” switch for microphone and camera, which would help a lot for privacy and safety.
  • Maybe data encryption? IDK if it is already supported by FP2.
  • And I understand the pricing but if it could stay under the symbolic line of 500US$ or at least 500€ it would be awesome.
  • Maybe a 3GO RAM and 32GO ROM, at least, would be awesome (since the FP2 has 2 and 32 it shouldn’t be a problem. We see phones with 6, 8, 10GO RAM and 128GO ROM ; in my opinion it isn’t necessary. But a cool think would be a high limit for SD cards.

But, I know that it’s too late for these ideas to be applied on FP3. I let you work on that for FP4 :wink:

For me, the perfect Fairphone 3 need to have :
-A small size (less than 4’’) but with the larger screen possible.
-A strong battery.
-An accessible price (less than 200€ will be perfect).
-Because of this price, no powerfull graphics and processor as Fairphone 2.
-No need of 5G, incredible camera or latest android os.
-And the most important after the phone size, an efficient system.

Please, excuse my bad English.

1 Like

If you are ok with that kind of limited hardware, have a look for a used FP1.

6 Likes

Actually, I want a limited hardware compared to 2019 technologies because it’s the only way to have a reasonable price. FP1 have a very limited hardware today.
I just want a modest and efficient phone with mostly recent technologies, but not the “best phone of the world”.

1 Like

The problem might be durability then: lower end hardware means a less time-proof device, with always increasing technology growth needs because of apps which are always requiring better and better tech specs like storage space and processor speed…

1 Like

I think it’s not necessarily apps permanently requiring better tech specs, but newer OSes. Many apps (even new apps) are still accepting Android 5 and some are still OK with Android 4.
Of course if wanting to use the latest hardware like multi (3D) camera, finger print sensor etc. no one would expect to have all of this working with an outdated OS.
An ordinary mobile should give the option to expand storage using another SD card and processing speed very often is not the problem itself (never got a message of an app about the lack of performance) but rather a subjective impression or feeling of the user thinking to have the need of a more powerful hardware). But just with conventional computers, quite a lot of performance is wasted due to an inefficient OS (and I have to deal with Windows 10 these days too…)
Longevity here imho is depending on proprietary hardware drivers as we can experience it right now with FP2 and Android 7.
It´s not Linux itself as it can run on quite a broad bandwith of hardware. My main machine here is 10+ years old but running smooth with Linux Mint.
Yes, in the desktop world there are free drivers available, now try this trick with Linux based Android…
I would say Android is equal to Windows. Newer versions require newer hardware while older hardware drops out of support in shorter periods (let’s keep it to notebooks with limited options to hardware upgrades).

If you want to use your hardware for long time, but still have a chance for software updates, Android & Windows are not the ways to go.

Remaining are different alternatives to Android & Windows which most often are Linux (maybe Unix) based. So actually the best way for longevity is switching from Android/Windows to something more open.
E.g. LineageOS, any Linux distro seems to serve well these days.
Again for smartphones, mind the bootloader…:thinking:

2 Likes

You’re right, you’re right. For example, the new motherboards (300 series socket and AM4) are not compatible with Windows 7 (no more updates). This is outrageous but also necessary to make more money for the GAFAM.

1 Like

So, turns out AMD are not running a charity. This is outrageous :slight_smile: .

But let’s say they could follow Microsoft’s example and offer you (ok, let’s pretend you are a company) updates beyond Windows 7’s EOL for considerable amounts of your money.

How much would you be willing to pay?

2 Likes
  1. I recommend to not have the loudspeaker in the microphone module.
    My partners experienced echos on the other end of the line.

2. I would like to be able to swap an infrared camera module into the place of the front camera. That would boost a special interest. The FLIR Module is 300 € and not agreeable to plug in the USB port.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: :pencil2: FP 2/3/… Modules & Wishlist