First findings with the new Fairphone 3

About the best well-known and complete call recorder would be ACR. However, in Android 9, Google introduced limitations for call recording. It still works with the internal speaker on, but when the speaker is off, the other side is not recorded. So, it’s not FP’s fault, but Google’s policy.
In Android 10, call recording will be completely blocked.
You can read all about it here.

4 Likes

Thank you,
another feature loss, that doesn’t sound very tempting!

Ridiculous. Call recording is a very useful feature which can allow you to create a legal case. I grew up with a blind father, and he had a call recorder in the 80s. Because he also had bad memory (and because people can forget, or be scumbags) he recorded a lot of phone conversations. All. The. Time. And now Google tells me I am not allowed to do that? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Not that I support Google’s decision, but isn’t it kind of the law (in some countries, at least) which tells you that you are not allowed to do that? At least without consent from both parties. I would be inclined to believe the decision to remove this feature being easily available to everyone all the time to be privacy inspired. I also cannot really think of another reason for doing so which would benefit Google.

3 Likes

I’m not even specific anti-Google.

I’m just very much not interested in Google limiting my freedoms which I am allowed to exercise in my jurisdiction just like I am not interested in Microsoft, Apple, etc doing that.

And while it is not black and white allowed in my jurisdiction [1] (which describes both my father’s use case, as well as how it can strengthen your legal position, and how it is allowed to record as a consumer if you’re taking part of the conversation; I also know Arnoud Engelfriet wrote about it on his blog). Google is not the police who tells me I am not allowed to record my phone calls. In fact, it is downright harmful that they do not allow me to record my own phone calls. It makes me furious. Then again, if it was just never possible in the first place, I might have been used to that instead.

[1] http://blog.wetrecht.nl/telefoongesprekken-opnemen-als-bewijs-kan-dat/

3 Likes

Despite having an estimated delivery of mid-November, my FairPhone 3 arrived last week. I’m very happy with the general user experience, build quality and performance thus far, but for this post will be focussing on a couple of the nitty-gritty details of functionality that might be useful to others.

Mobile Internet, APN settings & Bouygues Telecom
If you’re on Bouygues Telecom in France (a core operator, not an MVNO), the FP3 will automatically connect for voice and SMS, but multiple users of the company’s support portal indicate that internet and MMS don’t work on the FP3 with default settings.

It was certainly an issue for me when transferring settings from an old Google Nexus 4. To fix this, under Network & Internet > Mobile network > Access Point Names > Bouygues Télécom, add PAP as your Authentication type. I also switched to IPv4/IPv6 under APN protocol and replaced default,supl,mms with default,supl,mms,ia under APN type. Delete the contents of the MMS Port and MMS Proxy entries.

:fr: Et en français pour des moteurs de recherche: :fr:
Si vous êtes avec Bouygues, vous pouvez trouver que l’internet mobile ne fonctionne pas avec les paramètres défauts. Sous Réseau et internet > Réseau mobile > Noms des points d’access > Bouygues Télécom, ajouter PAP pour Type d’authentification. J’ai aussi utilisé IPv4/IPv6 pour Protocole APN et remplacé default,supl,mms par default,supl,mms,ia sous Type d’APN. Supprimez les paramètres Proxy MMS et Port MMS.

VPN services not functioning
OpenVPN clients from two services (NordVPN and ExpressVPN) are failing to connect. I’ve just discovered this issue so don’t have much more detail right now. This is a non-negotiable feature for me, as I review VPN providers for work, so I’ll be prioritising diagnosis and remediation !

5 Likes

I’m using the NordVPN app and its working fine…
(Orange network)

1 Like

I had no real problems with FP3 but think that is is advisable to ask the telephone provider for correct APN settings.
My old FP2 is used within family and I had a lot of complaints about internet connection via mobile network. Comparing FP3 and FP2 on the same spot showed that FP3 connected with 4G but FP2 only with 2G.I also wrote a mail to Drillisch (o2) and asked for settings. What I got was completely different from the official internet info of o2 but slightly different from the automatic APN install of FP3.
I now use APNs I got from Drillisch for both smartphones with following results:
FP3: It seems that speed is still better
FP2: Also connects with 4G
My feeling is that even in the same network like o2 the smaller providers use slightly different APNs.

2 Likes

Just got the Fairphone 3 having never owned one before (1 or 2) and I think like it. I’ve never spent as much on a phone (or will have in 24 months time). It seems fairly nippy and I’m very happy with the battery and screen. One thing I can’t seem to find out how to do is to set different notification sounds for SMS and incoming calls depending on the SIM. If the option exists somewhere in the menu, could someone please tell me where exactly to find it? Thanks. Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

I do agree that a hard case is required (as I’m clumsy), but not that FF should produce one . Phone is new so I expect more covers will hit the market place in time, but the only one I can find uses adhesive and a slide. I’d prefer a wallet with camera and fingerprint holes myself (personal preference). Bumper is a pretty neat idea in the meantime. I also agree that LEDs should be able to reflect received notifications. Shame they don’t… yet?

I’m not against bloatware per-se, but dead against not being able to un-install it, so I’m pleased it only came with the Google junk. Regarding the “Google” app, I have disabled that, but it can’t be uninstalled as far as I can see. So now I have a dead searchbar on my home screen, not annoying enough to get a different launcher though.

3 Likes

I had no real problems with FP3 but think that is is advisable to ask the telephone provider for correct APN settings.

Hah, yes - that’s certainly preferable. I hope Bouygues eventually starts providing correct information when asked. :smile:

I’m using the NordVPN app and its working fine…
(Orange network)

Interesting, and very encouraging, thank you. I’ll remove VPN profiles from the phone and start again from scratch. It’s possible I hit an install-time issue that’s not entirely apparent. Are you using the APK from NordVPN’s site or the Play Store version of the app?

Just received my fairphone3. Owned a fairphone2, but due to lacking operating systems, several services didn’t work anymore. Hence the new phone.
So far, I really like it. However:
-the communication is aimed at new customers and not existing once. No answers or easier option to transfer your date from 2 to 3. Of course I can use the instructions for Android users in general. But it’s just not s good service.

• same with the cable. Why don’t you point out somewhere for your existing clients that my old charger won’t work? Sorry for not speaking tech!
  • same with sim . Doesn’t fit! So I loose one day to get new charger and second to get new SIM?
    I find this very disappointing!
1 Like

The support section of the website has tutorials …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/categories/360002044272

Including …

7 Likes

Im very aware oft this and consulted everything. Just saxing that there should be a section for existing customers si wont habe to search and hit and miss so much. All good now. Well i hope, still waiting in my New sim card

1 Like

Hello, I have the same problem. I just resolved the problem of 4G network with Bouygues in France, and also MMS that I don’t received with the forum (thank you guys) but unfortunately VPN (Express VPN) doesn’t work. If you have fixed your problem, I am really interesting.
Thank you

1 Like

My Fairphone 3 arrived yesterday and so far, I’m quite happy. It’s sturdy, fast and looks good. Overall a good improvement over the FP2.

However, even though I have tall hands, the screen is a little too big to use with one hand (at least when trying to reach the top and bottom of the screen).

It also seems like the adaptive battery feature from Android 9 isn’t implemented.

Furthermore the bumper seems a little loose on the sides and you can get a little “stuck” with your finger. It could have a little tighter.

Edit: The screen is way too bright on its lowest settings. This one should really be fixed in an upcoming update.

4 Likes

I’ve been working on this, and unfortunately, it looks as though certain of Bouygues’ network settings are mutually incompatible with VPN traffic. The usual solution offered is to make sure APN authentication type is set blank and protocol set to IPv4/IPv6 - this worked perfectly on several of my previous phones.

But for the FP3 to have working 4G access on Bouygues, it needs authentication type to be set to PAP, so we’re still at an impasse here.

Things that make no difference to VPN (non)functionality:
forcing the VPN app to use TCP if available
switching DNS resolver in the VPN client
dropping APN protocol to IPv4
manually setting up an IKEv2/IPSec connection using strongSwan at default settings

It looks as though it may also be an issue of default UDP port selection, based on what Bouygues staff have said in some forums.

I’m continuing to poke at this and will post here if I find any solution.

Further references:

https://lafibre.info/vpn/openvpn-impossible-chez-certains-operateur/

I received my Fairphone Monday evening. The following is my first impression.

(I’ve honestly barely used it, but I am confident something like watching a video has improved beyond my lower limits, and the same for battery life.)

Somehow, I am able to keep a firm, natural grip on it. How this is going to work out e.g. during commute we will have to see. The machine is quick compared to FP2, and the screen is gorgeous (and large compared to FP2, with a higher screen to body ratio but not as high as the trend). I try to be content with less good screens, but I’m a sucker for it (MBP Retina is also gorgeous). In order to install the SIM card I had trouble getting the battery out with my nails (partner couldn’t do it either). Had to use a tool on my pocket knife. Not something I’ll want to do often (I guess it was to compensate for the design flaw in FP2 battery). Fingerprint and NFC work flawless (I’ve used the latter together with my national ID card). I’m still in the process of migrating which goes a bit slower because no cloud backups being used (more hereunder).

I’m puzzled by Google’s choice to suggest different search engines which end up just wrappers around WebView (Chrome), and separate “browsers”, while they did not offer the option of Firefox. I had to manually install Firefox Preview in Google Play Store instead. Also, I had trouble obtaining applications I already purchased on my Google account. It just mentioned the price, not the option to download. If I clicked on the price, it eventually said I already owned that application.

I made a thermal picture of the smartphone lying idle for 5 minutes after booting up to the config screen. I intend to make some more pictures with my thermal camera, but I want to document clearly the circumstances / use case. Any requests on that matter? One I was thinking of, was having the screen on 50% brightness, and watching Netflix or Prime Video for say 10 minutes.

I’ve managed to avoid Google Drive automatic backups, and am using DAVx5 + Nextcloud + WireGuard for my calendar/contacts. I have not attempted to save my WhatsApp data as the pictures/videos of my child are the most important, and they are backed up automatically with the previously mentioned software.

One feature I miss coming from LOS 16 (= Android 9 + mods) is the option to scramble your PIN. Without this option, a PIN is as secure as a pattern (very easy to leak if you watch over shoulder).

[EDIT1]My FP3 barely fits my old Feuerwear case which I used with the FP2 (the Velcro has worn out)[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]The front camera field seems slightly odd, the fingerprint sensor would ideally sit a little bit lower, and the USB-C port not being in the middle makes a FLIR camera on the bottom not a good fit (I already bought a standalone though).[/EDIT]

7 Likes

I hope you can enjoy your phone soon.
Still, all information was and is readily available on the order page.
For switching from another phone to the FP3 they have a section called

Easy to use, easy to switch

Make a stress-free switch from your old phone to the Fairphone in just a few easy steps. How to switch >

On the linked page they focus on switching from IOs to Android (I will report this as - at least - misleading), but they link to the tutorials as well.

Regarding the SIM card, the tech specs section clearly state:

Network Dual Nano SIM

That’s something one unfortunately has to check with every new phone.
I myself wonder, why they can not just decide on one form-factor.

Admittedly, not all informations are “ready to read”.
In my opinion special infos for FP1 or FP2 users are not neccessary, since the phones are not so special and they are directing all their marketing and information at the mass-market now. Giving FP2 users a special treatment would seem a bit odd for the rest I guess, as they wouldn’t need that info.

1 Like

I’m in the same problem… Did you get your problem solved ?