Finding a European Fairphoners logo

I enjoyed all the logos and fonts very much but is that logo a pun on the old Nokia logo? :rofl:

No. The two hands of the Fairphone Community Logo clearly represent cooperation between two equivalent partners, while the hands of the old nokia logo seem to represent pedophilia.

1 Like

I think both originate from this:

1 Like

Thanks, I didnā€™t know that reference. Very interesting!

See also Wikipedia article on the origins of the Nokia tune.

Really?
I rather was reminded of a father taking his kid by the hand.

To me your association is a sign, how media has corrupted our perception of every-day things that once were seen to be normal. :frowning:
Like, would you nowadays ask a kid for the way or for the time, or would you wait for an adult to come your way?

2 Likes

Maybe it would even look better, when the stars around the hands were smaller and there were 28 of them. This way the Fairphone star in the center would stand out a bit more as well.

Like this one (just better of course):

I used this tutorial that follows the official EU specification: http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/AShortExampleEU.html

Interesting link.
Of course in case of FP it would not be neccessary to stick to the original EU-flag? Instead - as there is already a star in the FP-logo - the EU-logo could use the stars for member-states, even if thatā€™s not the case for the official flag.

A larger circle of more stars could as well stand for "Fairphoners United Worldwide"
That might be more appropriate right now in my opinion, as ā€¦

• Fairphone sells to Europe only
  • Yet there are some real enthusiasts overseas that got hold of a Fairphone and contribute to the forum and the movement
  • They should not be excluded or even just feel like excluded; instead they should receive a warm welcome to be part of the great movement that Fairphone is.
    :slight_smile:
    Done!
    Will add another star right away to symbolize this. :smile:
1 Like

Of course not. That was not how it was commonly perceived at all. It was just a joke or running gag back in the days.

To me, personally, it resembled the top-down hierarchy of Nokia handing us their candy S30/S40/S60 and us grabbing it and wanting more more moreā€¦ tossing away the old one.

I did know my explanation wasnā€™t the intention either. @urs_lesseā€™s explanation makes a lot more sense!

As for your other question. Nowadays, thereā€™s far less reason to ask anyone for the time or the way or communication with a stranger in general (GG for the smartphone generation). It has its up- and downsides.

There was this art project by a designer who made a train coupƩ for people who wanted to communicate with strangers (as a counter project to the silence coupƩ), or get information about the surrounding environment. Not sure how far it went, personally I prefer people to be silent in trains instead of all these silly phone calls with leaked information.

2 Likes

This thread is about a European Fairphones logo (of which I doubt that we need it). I welcome you to open a new topic for a worldwide logo. :wink:

Wristwatches are common for quite a while, you know. :wink:
And I know, I am not the only one, not using my phone for navigation in cities. I even happen to see people with conventional paper-maps moving around cities.

Still, you are right obviously, as it is generally seen this way, making it the more ā€œsuspiciousā€, if you really are lost and ask for the way or the time.

@JeroenH
You are aware, that my questioning was with regard to the interpretation of Paula and not of yourā€™s?

@Stefan
So, we are in agreement there (about the need for an EU-logo.
But, do I want to open a new topic for a worldwide logo, if I am already in doubt about the EU version?
I really donā€™t think so. I just happened to let my thoughts run free and roam around a bit.
Should that line of thinking be picked up by others, maybe ā€¦

I am not sure if a european logo, or a worldwide logo are useful. For what in particular?
I like to be creative, as you can see on my logo with ā€œHermann der Cheruskerā€.
Does anyone is familiar with the ā€œTurbojugendā€ fanbase?
These guys are all fans of the band Turbonegro. All over the world they have these small local fanbases like ā€œTurbojugend FĆ¼rstentum Lippeā€.
When they meet they exchange their fanbase logo batches as a souvenier. So, if you are an active fan, you show that with the amout of batches to others.
I really like this idea. It shows affiliation, creativity and proudness at the same time.
Instead of having a logo for all, what to be honest we have already, all local communities have their own logo with something local on it.
My opinion is, that this shows mostly, how intercultural friendly a community is, if that grows to an overall Europe thing, or maybe a worldwide movement, as our all goal is, I guess :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.